Rut in the marsh/swamp

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetail_addict

Rut in the marsh/swamp

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:14 am

What are guys that have had or seen success rut hunting marshes and swamps keying in on during the rut in these types of properties. I've got a couple of swamps I've never really hunted much yet but would like to dive in and see what's living in them. I'm familiar with the "rut bedding" that is often talked about but would like to hear what some of my other options might be in these types of terrains.

Transitions, points, etc. just like early season? Or does it vary from early season to rut?

Jeff G
500 Club

Re: Rut in the marsh/swamp

Unread postby Jeff G » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:19 am

i look for funnels, bucks should be cruising bedding to bedding and i find a pinch point which will put me in a cruising spot.
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:00 am

I tried to search "rut" to see what else might've been mentioned before and nothing came up...that's weird.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:04 am

Jeff G wrote:i look for funnels, bucks should be cruising bedding to bedding and i find a pinch point which will put me in a cruising spot.

Jeff is right. This is exactly how I killed all my biggest marsh bucks during the rut. A few spots I know well as cruising spots don't get good till about now. Usually there is barely a trail but once cruising starts it gets pounded down to bare ground in the damp marsh peat. Spots like this will produce year after year. Hard part is finding them.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:14 am

Setting up on a series of islands. Use a lake, river, pond or deep water as a pinch point. Know where the does are and get between them or downwind. A lot of aerial photos will show the deer trails, now a buck might follow those trails or he might try and cross cut them to scent check as many as he can.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:20 am

Also for those hunting huge northern swamps, old overgrown logging roads get used a fair amount. River crossing can be a good place to setup too but good ones aren't as easy to find.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”