Upstate SC hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Facebook: Reuben holombo

Upstate SC hunting

Unread postby Sticky » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:41 pm

I been hunting upstate SC in the mountains is there any guys out there with any tactics for the area

[ Post made via Android ] Image

cutiggers

Re: Upstate SC hunting

Unread postby cutiggers » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:09 am

I'm in the upstate as well but haven't really hunted the mountains. I hunt around the Clemson and Anderson area. I would think that the info on Hill country and big woods would apply well to the mountain hunt unit.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Facebook: Reuben holombo

Unread postby Sticky » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:55 pm

Thanks my brother just told me about the videos I am a hill kind of guy I get bored in the flat land I'm going to watch and see if I can nail down a big buck up there

mdorion6

Unread postby mdorion6 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:35 am

I am also hunting public land in the Greenville area. I have this will be my second Sean hunting and first in this mountain terrain let me know if you find out any tips. I have seen very little deer sign mostly bear and coyotes.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dagger

Unread postby dagger » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:53 am

The best advice I could give is to get Dan's hill country video, it changed the way I hunt. I put his tactics to the test early season in NH and shot a decent buck. Can't wait to do it again.

Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:19 am

Well the deer aren't moving here mid day but the yotes are. I should say were, squeaked one in and killed it.

SE_trad_hunter

Unread postby SE_trad_hunter » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:37 pm

I'm in Spartanburg but travel down to Whitmire/ Joanna to hunt. I scouted a little around Chestnut Ridge WMA, very little action using my old methods. Will be interested to try it out once I learn more here. Anyone hunt McCalla WMA?

jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:47 pm

I hunt the Cumberland Plateau in southern Tennessee. There's several guys on here from NE Tennessee, and a couple from NE Alabama. All of us hunt somewhat similar terrain.

Out of curiosity, when is the rut over that direction?

Not all those who wander are lost...
SE_trad_hunter

Unread postby SE_trad_hunter » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:41 pm

In the mountains it is around Thanksgiving, the rest of the state is late Oct to early Nov although deer are bred in SC throughout the season.

bblefty

Unread postby bblefty » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:30 pm

I have just moved back from Spartanburg area, and hunted there a good bit, now I'm hunting more in Central SC. I will say there are massive bucks in the upstate. Its just about scouting and being able to seee a good ways. Also play the pressure game, it seems like everyone hunts in Greenville/Anderson/Spartanburg so the deer are always on the run. Fants grove is a good place to hunt, just super busy with people. One of my friends in Spartanburg, kills really good deer every year and he just puts in his time in decent looking spots.
CarolinaKid

Unread postby CarolinaKid » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:45 am

I will affirm; there are big deer in the upstate. I know Fants has had it's share of big bucks killed in the past, which also brings more pressure. Have heard good things about WMA's in Spartanburg and Oconee. Haven't tried those myself (yet)
CarolinaKid

Unread postby CarolinaKid » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:45 am

I will affirm; there are big deer in the upstate. I know Fants has had it's share of big bucks killed in the past, which also brings more pressure. Have heard good things about WMA's in Spartanburg and Oconee. Haven't tried those myself (yet)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”