Good spot for an all day sit?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wolfie729
500 Club

Good spot for an all day sit?

Unread postby wolfie729 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:02 pm

Going on vacation wensday thru monday lots of rubs on the long island would you do an all day sit on it or not? Dont want to waste my time. Also do you guys really see a lot of bucks mid day? Havent done an all day sit in a long time in michigan. The green is the island im talking about.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Earn what’s never given.
Jackson Marsh

Re: Good spot for an all day sit?

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:08 pm

It's tough to say just looking at the aerial, but if it's remote and not pressured it might be good.

Some guys get the wrong impression about all day sits, on rare occasions there is action all day, sometimes no action, sometimes just one....but if it's the right one it's good enough.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:19 pm

Got ya. Yea thats a swamp the the trees are the only high ground if that helps

Earn what’s never given.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:49 pm

I've never hunted anything like that...could catch a buck coming home later or getting up earlier...but don't know if sit dark to dark out there...

If it's unpressured and dropping acorns it could be good to catch movement anytime because the mature buck is probably bedding out there..

But as a rut stand...I just don't see it.. except catching him coming home late and getting up early to search for ladies..

As was said, each day and area can be different...from Halloween on I try to spend every minute i can in the woods with a bow in my hand...

Last year on the heaviest pressured farm in the area I was making a stand switch around noon or 1pm..on my way I was swapping a camera card..heard the distinct sound of a chase..hoped down from my climbing stick and grabbed my bow..the biggest buck I knew of in the area chased a doe... unfortunately she busted me and took off...he stood there wondering what happened...just a bit out of range..and I was far too dumbfounded to make such a shot...this year, if I wasn't in shock I'm confident I could put the arrow where it needs to be..last year I was short on range time..I believe it was also kinda warm out...

Just never know what will come by or when.

I haven't figured out the big buck rut stuff...I keep falling to places I've seen a lot of deer in the past but never big mature bucks...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:58 pm

Ya I wondered that too I thought I saw something in the swamp bucks dvd talking about elongated islands during the rut. I thought mark and dan were talking about it. Might have to try and rewatch that dvd again

Earn what’s never given.
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:54 pm

Ya I thought I remember something about all day sits on elongated islands like that during the rut on the swamp buck dvd's. though mario and dan were talking about it.

Earn what’s never given.
Ravenhunter

Unread postby Ravenhunter » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:59 pm

Why not try going in mid morning and sit till dark. That length of sit isn't as bad as dark to dark. Good luck.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Longbow with a pointy stick
Hunting is Conservation
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:26 pm

Ravenhunter wrote:Why not try going in mid morning and sit till dark. That length of sit isn't as bad as dark to dark. Good luck.

Thanks thinking of going in there at about 5:30 am so 2hrs before shooting light and with the wind forcast if its correct on his runs he should not get my wind he'll be close but not fully get it then if he beds in there just wait til he moves around a little and i can shoot him. Any thoughts on that?

Earn what’s never given.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:45 pm

I know all sits can be tough, but at this time of year, I've had days where I see 1 deer, others where I have seen 4 -5 shooters. I know some others have had more. Just depends. If you have the time, go for it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”