looking for Input

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JPiskun1080
Facebook: facebook.com/JoePiskun

looking for Input

Unread postby JPiskun1080 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:09 am

I usually don't like asking for help and like trying to learn on my own, but even the best of the best had to learn from someone. I've been hunting this property for the last 5 years generally on the North end. Its private land with about 5 different bow hunters with allowed access. During the Summer its an ATV Park and during the Winter is a Ski resort. Not exactly "low Pressure"but its close to home and theres whitetails on it. I just purchased my first set of Lone Wolf sticks and the new XOP Vanish XT. i know theres a learning curve to being quiet with a mobile setup but with as pressured as it is i feel being mobile is my best bet. I feel like im a little overthinking it or just missing the clear signs. I have found a few small rubs and scraps about 1ft in diameter. Any info would be great. Thanks guys. Any extra info needed let me know.

Yellow Lines are property lines
White outline is bedding
The 4 DG are another guys stands
Then one current ladder stand i have setup

Same aerial view put solid Topo Map

This is the South View of the property. I have one hang on with sticks at the
bottom of the field

Full Aerial Topo view of the south end of property

Faded over lay of topo and satelite on south end

You can’t hunt something that’s not there :think: :think:
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Re: looking for Input

Unread postby woodswalker » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:11 am

I would find another property that isn't over run all year long.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
Matty

Re: looking for Input

Unread postby Matty » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:17 am

Can I assume there must be a lot of sign where all the stands are? They're so concentrated in one area of the property. lol

My bet is those stands are on mostly night sign. Avoid it, the deer likely do too (during the day).

If that thick area is definitely where the deer are bedding, I would push the envelope on it. However, you have to know where they are, because I bet they watch from in there.

I hunt a similar area, pummeled by human activity and it's mostly open hardwoods with a very thick bedding area that no one else goes into. My brothers and I have killed a lot of nice bucks out of it. It get's hunted hard, but not many guys kill anything because they set up on all the night sign. Funny thing too is that the difference between seeing these bucks and not seeing them is about 40 yards. These guys get close to the edge, but not close enough. You have to locate the buck beds in that thick stuff as best you can so you can get right on top of them.

I'm not sure if it will be the same fore you, but in my case, they are usually not bedding very deep into it. Most of the buck beds I have located in thick areas surrounded by hardwoods are about 20ish yards into the thick stuff and they seem to use a bed that puts the days wind direction coming through the thick stuff over their back and blowing into the hardwoods. They then watch the more open hardwoods for danger. It's about impossible to get right up to them if you came straight at them or tried to come through the thick stuff....and they never seem to leave that thick stuff until dark. So I usually penetrate the thick stuff or right on the edge and get just to the sides of the beds. That's my experience, but I haven't been into specific beds as long as most these guys.

Sometimes I throw the topos out and just think about a property like this:

One of the main things I consider on human bustling properties is: where does nobody go?

or in another way:

Where would I hide if I wanted to watch everyone but not have them stumble on me?

That's where the bigger bucks usually are.

Might not help, but that's my 2 cents. Good luck.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”