Best input on movement and wind?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mattyq2402

Best input on movement and wind?

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:51 am

I've dug through some of the old threads and came to a conclusion, I'm a little lost. I was looking at my property and my upcoming hunt which as of now will be dominated by west winds. My property isn't big and ridge runs west to east. Am I sunk or should I try to sit just off of the assumed travel route on the west wind hoping I have deer coming with the wind?. Next question, if my stand is on far east side of property near bedding point should I expect deer to come toward me with the wind toward that point or should I just head to another location. I know it's been coveres but as we age as hunters we develop changes in out thought process, what's the way u see deer in hills move with wind most common?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

mattyq2402

Re: Best input on movement and wind?

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:07 am

There was a fairly recent post if I remember right that suggested travel is often with the wind opposed to into the wind. I can't locate that thread if anyone has it bookmarked shoot it my way.

Matty

Unread postby Matty » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:34 am

Others may experience something different, but I have never seen any correlation between wind direction and direction of travel.
Well I have, but ONLY in short distance cases have I seen them adjust for wind direction (in my experiences).

Examples:

I have seen deer come into a primary scrape with wind at back and then about 50 yards out they circle to get downwind of it.

I have also seen deer walk with the wind at their back right up to a field edge and scan and scan and scan....then run out and feed with wind at back.

I have also seen them enter the same field in the same exact spot with the wind blowing in their face. They enter the field much less cautiously since they smell it already and they get out there and turn to put the wind at their back. Dan has mentioned it, in dvds I think that they like to feed with wind at back and I've seen that a lot too. Not to say they don't turn and move, but they want to watch where they can't smell.

I've seen too many deer travel crosswinds, with the wind, wind in their face, etc. though to see a pattern. If there is a pattern, I haven't picked up on it.

The way I look at it for the most part; regardless of wind direction, they are usually limited to bed and feed in certain areas, so they can't always choose the way they travel according to wind direction, but they definitely use it in the short term when they get where they're going or to check things out.
mattyq2402

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:29 pm

I was able to find the post I was looking for. I have 5 days a year to hunt so will be more aggressive with setups. I was always under the impression that deer traveled into wind and slightly quartering. I haven't put in enough time to study this but definitely something I'll b paying attention to.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”