First Mature Buck Encounter Ever

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

EastCoast

First Mature Buck Encounter Ever

Unread postby EastCoast » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:57 am

So I've been lurking on this site since the summer gleaning info like a sponge. The story goes like this, I found a bedding site in a swamp this summer that looked really promising. About three weeks ago I went in and hunted that set. I decided to take a shortcut through a different part of the swamp on my way in. As I was walking through this part I noticed some well used beds and also a bunch of fresh rubs in there. Right away I knew I had made a mistake by walking through there but by that point it was too late so I just kept going. At the edge of the swamp there was a rub line and a scrape line heading in the timber. I decided to wait a few weeks and try set up there.
The few weeks passed and tonight a 5 mph SW wind was forecasted which would work for this set. I paddled my kayak almost a mile up river. The last few hundred yard I had to paddle silently past the bedding area which was only 50 yds from the Brook. I parked my kayak and slipped through the thick brush as silently as I could about 150 yds East of the bedding.
As I was creeping up to the tree I picked I heard a deer take off and start blowing behind me. At that point I thought maybe I had spooked it outta the bedding and my hunt was over. I decided to continue anyways so I made it to my tree and silently set up. For awhile nothing showed up. Then, about an hour before dark I began to hear rustling in the bedding area. Right away my excitement went through the roof because I knew there was a good chance it was a buck. I had to tell myself to calm down in case one actually showed up.
The rustling kind of stopped for a bit but then I heard really loud scraping on a cedar tree. I've never heard this in real life before so at this point I was still just hoping it was a buck. A few minutes passed and finally I caught movement on the edge of the swamp. I could see antlers flashing and it was for sure a buck making another rub. He stepped into the timber but was behind some brush so I couldn't see him. I did hear him making a ground scrape, also something I've never seen or heard In real life. I caught flashes of movement again and saw another tree shaking as he was rubbing it.
Finally he turned and started towards me. When I got a clear look at him right away I could tell he was a big mature buck at least 3.5 years old. The wind never materialized like it was forecasted to and it more or less just breathed to and fro which had me nervous. The buck was heading straight towards my stand but at 20 yds he locked up and stared in my direction. I could feel the air breathing in his direction as he stared towards me. He stood there for maybe 30 seconds and I figured the jig was up. Sure enough he whirled around and bounded into the swamp as I stared in disbelief.
Up to this point the only buck I have ever seen from a treestand was a little spike which I shot last year. I have been hunting hard and dumb for the past 4 or 5 years desperately trying to arrow a decent buck to no avail. Discovering the beast style of hunting has changed my approach dramatically and to see it pay off tonight even tho it ended in disappointment is unbelievably rewarding.
Would any of you try this spot tomorrow morning or maybe wait another month? Side note I promised my 4 and 5 year old I'd take them for a most likely non productive ground sit tomorrow morning.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

backstraps

Re: First Mature Buck Encounter Ever

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:21 pm

EastCoast wrote:So I've been lurking on this site since the summer gleaning info like a sponge. The story goes like this, I found a bedding site in a swamp this summer that looked really promising. About three weeks ago I went in and hunted that set. I decided to take a shortcut through a different part of the swamp on my way in. As I was walking through this part I noticed some well used beds and also a bunch of fresh rubs in there. Right away I knew I had made a mistake by walking through there but by that point it was too late so I just kept going. At the edge of the swamp there was a rub line and a scrape line heading in the timber. I decided to wait a few weeks and try set up there.
The few weeks passed and tonight a 5 mph SW wind was forecasted which would work for this set. I paddled my kayak almost a mile up river. The last few hundred yard I had to paddle silently past the bedding area which was only 50 yds from the Brook. I parked my kayak and slipped through the thick brush as silently as I could about 150 yds East of the bedding.
As I was creeping up to the tree I picked I heard a deer take off and start blowing behind me. At that point I thought maybe I had spooked it outta the bedding and my hunt was over. I decided to continue anyways so I made it to my tree and silently set up. For awhile nothing showed up. Then, about an hour before dark I began to hear rustling in the bedding area. Right away my excitement went through the roof because I knew there was a good chance it was a buck. I had to tell myself to calm down in case one actually showed up.
The rustling kind of stopped for a bit but then I heard really loud scraping on a cedar tree. I've never heard this in real life before so at this point I was still just hoping it was a buck. A few minutes passed and finally I caught movement on the edge of the swamp. I could see antlers flashing and it was for sure a buck making another rub. He stepped into the timber but was behind some brush so I couldn't see him. I did hear him making a ground scrape, also something I've never seen or heard In real life. I caught flashes of movement again and saw another tree shaking as he was rubbing it.
Finally he turned and started towards me. When I got a clear look at him right away I could tell he was a big mature buck at least 3.5 years old. The wind never materialized like it was forecasted to and it more or less just breathed to and fro which had me nervous. The buck was heading straight towards my stand but at 20 yds he locked up and stared in my direction. I could feel the air breathing in his direction as he stared towards me. He stood there for maybe 30 seconds and I figured the jig was up. Sure enough he whirled around and bounded into the swamp as I stared in disbelief.
Up to this point the only buck I have ever seen from a treestand was a little spike which I shot last year. I have been hunting hard and dumb for the past 4 or 5 years desperately trying to arrow a decent buck to no avail. [glow=red]Discovering the beast style of hunting has changed my approach dramatically and to see it pay off tonight even tho it ended in disappointment is unbelievably rewarding[/glow].
Would any of you try this spot tomorrow morning or maybe wait another month? Side note I promised my 4 and 5 year old I'd take them for a most likely non productive ground sit tomorrow morning.

AWESOME ENCOUNTER MAN! Thats what makes it all worth the effort in my opinion.

I wouldnt take the little ones anywhere near that area tomorrow morning, because he most likely will beat you to his bed. I WOULD GET back in there after him first chance the winds are correct!! Hopefully you can poke him tomorrow afternoon!

Congrats and job well done on the encounter :clap: :clap: :dance:
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:27 pm

8-) :clap: Give it a bit.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:19 pm

Welcome!

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:35 pm

8-)

Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:42 pm

cool story! You are not alone, I am applying some of these Beast hunting tactics for the first time myself, and I am also getting some results from it! And I thought I loved bow hunting prior to this mode of hunting. Two evening hunts in a row I have set up on a transition bordering swamp. Both times I have had encounters with mature bucks, but no shots. Yesterday evening, I heard a couple footsteps in the water (swamp) but couldn't see anything tho as behind a bunch of thick stuff. Then, I heard nothing for over a half hour. I thought maybe I was just hearing things in regards to the footsteps. And then, finally some more walking....slowly but surely right in my direction. My heart was beating out of its chest! I thought he was going to walk out broadside at about 10 yards. His tines sounded huge going thru the bush, he was making a huge racket. But, all I saw was some hooves, and he slowly walked behind the thick stuff and I never got a look at him.
The encounter tonight wasn't much but I was happy I picked another good spot to try to set up by. I kicked out a buck off a little island in a smaller marsh while trying to get set up close to it.
Now it's time to formulate the plans a little better and get the deal done.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:01 pm

It might be worth another shot at him but can you find a new tree a little closer to him without getting busted by the thermals?
EastCoast

Unread postby EastCoast » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:23 pm

Thanks guys. I could set up closer but the problem is that the tree I was set up in was already within 80 yds of the farthest bed and if I move closer I might not be able to cover all the exit trails. I'll probably wait for a little steadier wind and try going higher in the tree next time.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:34 am

Yep, like crack isn't it? :lol: Cool encounter!

Welcome...and remember its a journey that never ends. Don't get discouraged when you don't master it in a season...or 5...or 20!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”