Don't ever give up

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tysonhunter

Don't ever give up

Unread postby tysonhunter » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:52 am

Fellas

This morning was my last self given green light for doe kill before next weeks vacation. At 830 I passed a really pretty 2.5 yr old 8 and To my surprise moments behind him was a small antlelrless bodied deer. I looked and looked assuming it to be a Button since so close to that buck but once I felt confident it was indeed a doe i pulled back and let her rip. (I habitually screw the pooch on my first archery deer every year rushing shots) Anywho shot was a few inches farther back than I'd hoped but clean pass thru. Long story short some green on arrow so I got out of dodge quietly. I only waited four hours as it was in the mid 70s here. The trail at first had blood splatter but ultimately ran dry. Every once in a while a single pencil eraser sized droplet could be found. I never rushed and never gave up and always followed my gut instinct as she had been following a very general direction and path. There was never a spot of blood bigger than a dime and never a point where you could take two steps at once cause you could see blood. Actually at times you had to mark last blood and go down the trail 20 or so yards before finding the next pin drop. All in all I found her already stiff in under 200 yards. Lessons learned, if I had rushed she would have been long gone. Absorb the information. It was obvious the entrance wound was the only wound showing blood drops and the exit was plugged. (Blood always just on the one side and knowing green on arrow i can put the pieces together) I knew from the shot angle and placement the cavity would have to entirely fill up before I would find this doe and that's exactly what she did. Another lesson is my adrendlan from the shot had dissipated. This makes us as hunters of more sound minder make better decisions and have better judgement. All and al I am insanely proud of this track job and meat in my freezer. Alternatively I'm a little sad as I ponder my 25 years of hunting and what trails maybe I gave up on I shouldn't have. (I have only lost a few but still). Also, the best buck hunters are good killers. They tune their skill over and over and over. They consistently deliver at the moment of truth and do not shoot that few inches back. I invest my most valuable time in the woods with bow and practice all year long yet I've probably only killed 7-10 total bow deer. (Either too hot too far to drag or typically during rut I won't do it and wait for gun or muzzleloader) so I am reminded I need to be a better bow killer. My muscle memory needs to be as proficient at fur as it is at foam.

Hope you guys take a little something away from this as we embark on the most sought after time of the year in the woods for us all.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

stash59

Re: Don't ever give up

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:08 pm

8-) :dance: :clap:
wolfie729
500 Club

Re: Don't ever give up

Unread postby wolfie729 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:34 pm

Nice work

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Earn what’s never given.