Scrapes

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Scrapes

Unread postby Jrichard » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:39 am

So I was checking out one of my spots. As I was walking through trying to avoid trails and bedding, I found 5 scrapes and a nice little rub line. One scrape really stood out to me because not only was it fresh, but when I picked up one of the turds it was still warm. The night before was 27 degrees, so I know it could not have been that long before I got there. None of the other scrapes had any turds in them but they still looked really fresh. Not to mention, this one scrape in particular was smack dab in the middle of a massive break in a stone wall. Deer seemed to have been using it for years. Should I set up near this spot? I mean 5 scrapes in one little area to me seems really good. I usually only see one or two in a larger area.

Should I climb a tree and let out a couple of grunts? I have a feeling I know where this/these deer are bedding. And the wind almost always plays in my favor in this spot.

Dewey

Re: Scrapes

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:45 am

Heck yeah climb a tree and hunt it right now. If bedding is close set up between there and the scrapes if the wind is in your favor. Scrapes are hot right now so the buck will likely head there soon after leaving his bed. I would avoid the grunts. Surprise him with an arrow. Good luck.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:18 am

Dewey wrote:Heck yeah climb a tree and hunt it right now. If bedding is close set up between there and the scrapes if the wind is in your favor. Scrapes are hot right now so the buck will likely head there soon after leaving his bed. I would avoid the grunts. Surprise him with an arrow. Good luck.

Thank you sir. IK people say dont hunt right over the sign so I was not sure what to do lol. I will let you guys know!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:38 am

Jrichard wrote:
Dewey wrote:Heck yeah climb a tree and hunt it right now. If bedding is close set up between there and the scrapes if the wind is in your favor. Scrapes are hot right now so the buck will likely head there soon after leaving his bed. I would avoid the grunts. Surprise him with an arrow. Good luck.

Thank you sir. IK people say dont hunt right over the sign so I was not sure what to do lol. I will let you guys know!

Like I said hunt more towards the suspected bedding area especially if there is a trail leading to the scrapes and the rub line.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”