2016 Rut Reports

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaHunter

Re: 2016 Rut Reports

Unread postby DaHunter » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:30 am

Lockdown already? Any reports from Michigan?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:47 am

Saw a buck chasing a doe this morning on the way to work.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:11 am

Dewey wrote:That is my problem right now.....can't find any does. They were like rats around here a month ago but seemed to disappear. Until I find them my rut hunts will be a bust.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Yea that sounds familiar around here :lol:

Does get harassed so bad they get driven into really out of the way spots. A lot of normal doe bedding goes dead for the first two weeks of November around here. Sure some bucks still cruise through them but not as many as you might expect unless the does are still there. Its because we have so many 1, 2, and 3 year old bucks in the herd they go crazy at the start of the rut. Start looking at isolated pockets of cover and also the biggest thickest cover right now and hunt the rut funnels coming and going from those, for instance a lot of does hide from bucks in standing corn I think until it all comes out. They will return to some of those normal bedding areas toward the tail end of the rut, second half of November, when little bucks have lost interest but you can still catch a big boy prowling around.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:15 am

As far as local update, I think there are just enough hot does already to tie up most of the biggest bucks.

Had a nice buck behind my house with a doe in heat last night...problem was I got home with about 10 minutes of daylight left. Thats what I was waiting for and my schedule didn't work out. Otherwise I would have had a chance to see if I can hit anything with my recurve - still have my landowners tag
Treewalker87

Unread postby Treewalker87 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:27 am

Anyone seeing action in Western NY? I plan on going out for all day sits Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Wondering if I should hop in my best rut stands (remote, downwind of dense doe bedding) this weekend or next weekend( 11-13th).

wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:37 am

Personally I have a hard time believing it's lockdown already

Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:40 am

Western MN had a nice 10 grunting and chasing a doe around me. Got to within about 40 yards from stand, util she ran away from him. He gave her chase.

whitetail_addict

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:26 am

wmihunter wrote:Personally I have a hard time believing it's lockdown already

A lot of variables specific to any one place or area will dictate that.

wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:27 am

Just saw a 2.5 pushing a doe near a house in w mi

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:51 am

November 4th 2014 I swore we were in lockdown and my season sucked up to that point. My buck sightings were at an all time low.

Suddenly one hot doe came past dragging a line of six bucks with her. Ended up seeing 15 bucks that day killing the last one and having the most incredible hunt of my life.

My point is.........don't ever give up guys. It can all change in a matter of seconds. Most important thing is keep your head in the game. Telling yourself it's lockdown will do nothing but ruin your focus. I guarantee that every single buck is not locked down with every single doe. It's just not reasonable to think that. Keep at it and good things will happen. If not you can feel good for the effort. When I hear guys say they are staying home because they bucks are all locked down I just cannot comprehend that thinking on November 3rd. :o

wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:45 am

I just saw my first chase and first buck hitting scrape in daylight. It's just getting good IMO

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:58 am

Agreed. Lockdown is a horrible reason to stay home. Get out!

Buck:doe ratios have a tremendous influence on the lockdown blues. During the CWD eradication years in WI, the lockdown was practically non existent in southern wi. Same happened when statewide during the tail end of the EAB years . The doe population is growing so some lockdown is to be expected, especially in Central WI outside the old CWD eradication zone and south of the northern wolf zone as these areas have had many areas to recover from aggressive doe harvest.

Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:19 am

Buddy of mine just shot a nice 8 point out of some public land in central WI. Had trail cams up all season, saw zero deer on the property and absolutely no sign of deer what so ever. Decided to go give it a shot this morning, half hour in, hot doe runs past, buck comes in and got a shot. You have to be in the woods to kill deer. This was also his first and only sit of the year
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:34 am

Had two different bucks cruise through this morning, both of them worked a scrape. No does seen, other than driving this morning.

SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:29 pm

The doe I hit tonight with my work vehicle was being chased by a young buck. Almost his a 3 year old 8 pt five minutes later that was also on a doe.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”