2016 Rut Reports

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

headgear
500 Club

Re: 2016 Rut Reports

Unread postby headgear » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:15 am

Couple reports from friends of large bucks on their feet this morning, no kills.

wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:11 am

It shouldn't hit lockdown til at least nov 7 in most areas IMO

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:17 am

SamPotter wrote:I'm a believer in Alsheimer's full moon/rut theory. Last year it was on 10/27 and things really picked up that following week. I remember one year the full moon didn't occur until the 3rd week of November and things were pretty quiet until then, but then things got wild. I killed my 2nd biggest buck on the 20th that year while he was searching. Another year the full moon fell on October 23rd or so and I had a nice buck bedded with a hot doe all day long about 5 days after that full moon.

I have a secondary theory offshoot from Alsheimer's: the full moon prior to the one that triggers the rut can cause a false start, which would explain the early rutting activity that has been observed thus far. I have a trail camera video from a few years ago of a buck dogging a doe on 10/7, a few days after a full moon...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I agree Sam. I know every study has said does come into estrus independent of moon but for whatever reason I have seen way too much rutting activity correlated around and after full moons from mid October thru November to ignore it. I am not suggesting "peak" rut moves around, just that there's a lot of activity around those times and seems like somewhat less in early November when the moon is mid month like this year.

Someone I know just stuck a 140 class 9 pointer this morning at 9:30AM following behind a doe 8-)
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:44 am

Out checking trail cams at midday, I rode right by a 140s 4 year old 9 that was bedded in some thick weeds along a field edge by himself. I kept on going, but when I came back I slowed down. Actually took a while for him to decide to take off. Apparently he thought the weeds in front of his face were keeping him hidden, just didn't know his rack stood out like a sore thumb. Anyway, he was alone and bedded, not locked down or cruising.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:56 am

South central Michigan saw some heavy rutting this evening. Biggest buck I've seen in some years trying to keep a doe in a thicket. Moving in the morning hope they're still in there.

wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:52 pm

Hawthorne wrote:South central Michigan saw some heavy rutting this evening. Biggest buck I've seen in some years trying to keep a doe in a thicket. Moving in the morning hope they're still in there.

Get em!

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:58 pm

I seen a monster 8 pointer chasing a group of does late lastnight driving home in NW WI. This morning I seen 1 small buck chasing a doe and another buck was chasing to but didn't get visual on him.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:36 pm

Starting to think I messed up taking Nov 3 - 13 off instead of my usual Oct 27ish - Nov 7. All indications and the hot summer weather had me thinking later would be better. But it sounds like they've been chasing for a week already! Oh well.... got some good moon mornings coming in about a week.

ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:02 pm

Had a magnum growling pushing does get by me yesterday morning.

Wish I had more time.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:05 pm

My old man killed a 4 year old last Friday at 3pm pushing does. From most accounts, if you've got big ones around, they should be moving.

If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:48 am

Last night just before closing I had a shooter pushing a doe. I was able to call him off her so don't think the heat is on quite yet. I called him back three times as he searched for the intruder but he never gave me a good shot. Finally had enough and continued following the doe.

Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:51 am

Dewey wrote:Last night just before closing I had a shooter pushing a doe. I was able to call him off her so don't think the heat is on quite yet. I called him back three times as he searched for the intruder but he never gave me a good shot. Finally had enough and continued following the doe.

Curious, what type of call were you using Dewey ?

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:51 am

Swampthing wrote:
Dewey wrote:Last night just before closing I had a shooter pushing a doe. I was able to call him off her so don't think the heat is on quite yet. I called him back three times as he searched for the intruder but he never gave me a good shot. Finally had enough and continued following the doe.

Curious, what type of call were you using Dewey ?

True Talker

matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:12 am

Patience guys. The rut has stages and it'll get good- soon. I've seen multiple does with fawns this weekend in se Wisconsin, Washington county. Picked up a road kill buck last week with next to no tarsal staining. All this would tell me that the best is yet to come in this neck of the woods

Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:19 am

Had the same shooter buck bedded until last light on both Friday night and Sunday night. Almost had a crack at him last night but he came out a different way than Friday night. And now I have to head back home for work. I hope to see him in a week from now if I get the right wind again. Haven't seen much rut activity in NW Wisconsin yet....hope it holds off another week for my vacation.

If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”