What WOULDN'T you do?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Re: What WOULDN'T you do?

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:56 am

2 miles is about the limit for me too. But it depends on the hike and the drag. If it's easy I'll go a bit farther. I absolutely take a pass if it involves deep water - including the use of a boat. I've taken a dip in the drink in December once before and swore it off for life after that. Here in MA we have a handful of duck hunters dead with their names in the paper every year from going over in a boat. Just too dangerous in my mind. Basically if it's over my Muck boots - I abort. I won't cross iced over bodies of water. Not unless I know the water is not over my boots from prior scouting or whatever. I know Dan says lots of hunters won't cross water... I'm not ashamed to admit to being one of them that is turned away by deep cold water.

Let's see - what else.... There is some equipment I consider essential and refuse to hunt without. My GPS would be one and my compass the other. I can get by with the compass but the GPS is really nice. Waypoints, topo maps, aerial image overlays, etc... Especially helpful in the dark. LED Headlamp - must have. I carry a LED flashlight for a backup too. I won't walk in or out in the dark without 2 lights and an extra set of batteries. I keep another set in the (extraction pack) in the truck too (bigger more powerful light(s) for the drag out - 900 lumen headlamp). Fully charged cell - should I need to call for help. It also has a GPS app as a backup to my Garmin. I try to stay in cell service range. Not always possible but I would say about 95% of the time it's manageable for me.

Honestly we take a risk every time we go out. Just getting in the tree is dangerous. But factors that compound the risks are things that can dial me back... So boating in during December without a GPS, light, or cell service - yea you'll never see me do something like that.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:01 am

I won't sit on stand with poop in my pants! :mrgreen:

Sorry Stanley........having fun at your expense. :lol:
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:02 am

Dewey wrote:I won't sit on stand with poop in my pants! :mrgreen:

Holy crap!!! :lol: :lol:

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:09 am

I will hunt anywhere but flooded swamps. the last 4 years I have nearly destroyed my bad ankle trying to step it out in knee deep muck and by the time I am where I want to set up Im drenched in sweat, my ankle is sprained, and feel like crap. :violin: Im not a big bad hard charger like I was a decade ago. :cry: I like hunting the hills now.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:20 am

Prior post made me think too......... I won;t hunt with.....you know........ stomach problems...
Matty

Unread postby Matty » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:27 pm

LOL

Has Stanley done that?! Hardcore! lol.....

I probably shouldn't admit to this, but I had a heinous accident on my way in to hunt a few years ago. I was maybe only 100 yards off a road and about 75 yards from where I intended to hunt. However, I probably have something wrong with my plumbing system because so often when poop hits, there's no warning and no stopping it for me. I usually have less than 30 seconds from the warning signal to code brown, touching cotton.

Well when the mud missile armed for launch that day I couldn't get all my clothes off in time. Rather than call it quits, I cut my underwear off, cleaned myself up and buried them under a rock at the base of a huge red oak. I shot a doe later that night too. lol

I went back there the next year and noticed that something had dug my underwear up from under the rock. No idea what or why, but I feel bad for that animal.

Sadly I have a lot of poop related hunting stories, but I think that's the only one I'll tell.

I draw the line with anything I think has a good chance to kill or severely injure me and that includes consideration for getting an animal out. So I try not to put myself in bad situations, but still find myself questioning my sanity pretty often.

tbunao wrote:I draw the line at paying for an outfitter. Thats the craziest thing to me.

Hahaha...me too.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:42 pm

tbunao wrote:I draw the line at paying for an outfitter. Thats the craziest thing to me.

I used an outfitter on a float trip in Idaho, it was AWESOME! Great food, scenery was spectacular....fished constantly. Hard to beat. I hope to draw a bear tag in a few years and will plan an outfitted trip for sure. Sometimes a guy needs to recognize his lack of experience and hire an expert.

I stopped scouting a certain public area because I kept getting into poison sumac...that stuff sucks, even got it in the winter/ early spring.

I get a little nervous in deep water with a muck bottom. If the trail in the cattails is tight/narrow no biggie, but I always seem to hit a opening where you have to be careful.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:44 pm

I used to shy away from spots because of the navigation in or out in the dark. Not anymore with a gps. First year with it and it's incredible.

Dingus

Unread postby Dingus » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:32 pm

This doesn't exactly answer the question but I will share anyway. Last year I shot a deer late season on public w my bow...closest parking area was a mile as the crow flies...it was in the middle of a swamp...and this swamp was FULL of those big humps marsh grass likes to grow in...in chest waders...by myself...o yeah and I kept breaking thru the ice...almost puked I was so exhausted...drug it halfway...came bak next day to finish...did I fail to mention this was ALL FOR A DOE?!?!?! And...I wud do it again. Someone please backhand me.

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:15 am

I used to walk miles through thigh deep swamp. Realized it did no good. Walking is too slow so it takes all day just to get there and back and it was no better anyway....

Make It Happen
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:26 am

Dingus wrote:This doesn't exactly answer the question but I will share anyway. Last year I shot a deer late season on public w my bow...closest parking area was a mile as the crow flies...it was in the middle of a swamp...and this swamp was FULL of those big humps marsh grass likes to grow in...in chest waders...by myself...o yeah and I kept breaking thru the ice...almost puked I was so exhausted...drug it halfway...came bak next day to finish...did I fail to mention this was ALL FOR A DOE?!?!?! And...I wud do it again. Someone please backhand me.

This is awesome!

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:34 am

Dingus wrote:This doesn't exactly answer the question but I will share anyway. Last year I shot a deer late season on public w my bow...closest parking area was a mile as the crow flies...it was in the middle of a swamp...and this swamp was FULL of those big humps marsh grass likes to grow in...in chest waders...by myself...o yeah and I kept breaking thru the ice...almost puked I was so exhausted...drug it halfway...came bak next day to finish...did I fail to mention this was ALL FOR A DOE?!?!?! And...I wud do it again. Someone please backhand me.

Man I hunt some areas like that. Hav'nt shot one yet in there. That's when quartering out will be for me or hire a couple young men to help.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:36 am

I haven't found out yet.

The thing that makes me hesitate the most is deep water, especially if it is cold. I would not swim cold water for anything more than a few yards wide. If you have ever gotten a cramp while swimming alone it is about the scariest thing I have ever experienced. Another thing that may go under the radar is knee-thigh deep creeks with fast moving water. Go ahead and slip and fall with your gear and see if that creek doesn't f up your program, especially if it is cold.

But when it comes down to it even the more 'crazy' things we do for whitetails is pretty tame when you consider elk, moose, sheep, etc...look at what those trappers in Alaska do just to get some fur.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:36 pm

I just can't see myself hunting in the south unless that is my only option. Snakes, and all them bugs, the heat, the humidity, violent aggressive wild pigs,, sounds terrible. But hunting with an expensive southern outfitter during December or January sounds nice as long as I don't gotta pay the bill. Also I don't like the idea of swimming in cold water. I don't mind getting wet, but if I'm wet and it's below 45° I gotta keep moving or I'll freeze.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”