Buck leaving a bed question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wolfie729
500 Club

Buck leaving a bed question

Unread postby wolfie729 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:02 pm

Ok guys so last weekend I saw a really good buck leave his bed and head out toward the maine woods. Theres really only 2 routes he could go and i was on one but he left the bed with the wind somewhat in his favor out the other eit route. I'm going in for the kill this weekend would you set up on the route he used last time or the one i was on that will somewhat have the wind in his favor this time? I guess will they always leave using the same route?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Earn what’s never given.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Re: Buck leaving a bed question

Unread postby jwilkstn » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:07 pm

I would say whichever leads toward the biggest attraction. Typically, that's the hot food source, but might be water or does. Assuming you're close enough that he can halfway monitor the area from his bed he should feel safe going there at dusk even if the wind isn't in his favor.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Not all those who wander are lost...
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:13 pm

jwilkstn wrote:I would say whichever leads toward the biggest attraction. Typically, that's the hot food source, but might be water or does. Assuming you're close enough that he can halfway monitor the area from his bed he should feel safe going there at dusk even if the wind isn't in his favor.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Ok I'm not sure whats on the other side where hes going since ive never scouted it but going off what your saying I will set on the other side thank you

Earn what’s never given.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:54 pm

Every buck I have ever killed I had the wind in my favor.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:32 pm

I watched the same buck leave the same bedding area the last two hunts in a row.... The wind was a complete 180 degree opposite each day... He still went the same direction. The only difference was where I set up cause if the wind. This is very typical for me based on my observations.
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:38 am

dan wrote:I watched the same buck leave the same bedding area the last two hunts in a row.... The wind was a complete 180 degree opposite each day... He still went the same direction. The only difference was where I set up cause if the wind. This is very typical for me based on my observations.

Sweet thanks Dan o man do I hope it happens tonight

Earn what’s never given.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”