All day sits

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
jlh42581
500 Club

Re: All day sits

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:25 am

One thing that greatly increased my comfort is a stove. Ive got a propane two burner and a msr pocket rocket. Heat up some water and pour that in a mountain house, seal it up and ten minutes later youre eating a hot lunch. There is nothing that compares. Even if you walk out to the truck to do it. Where I live its a drive to get to anywhere I hunt, a solid 30 mins most times minimum. I cant tell you how many times someone walked out in the cold at lunch to see me eating a hot lunch or making a new cup of coffee and offered up their jealousy. I often offer to make someone a cup of coffee, few accept.

If youre WAY WAY back, im talking miles of up and down hill it is like something strait out of make believe to sit down and make beef stew in 10 minutes. On those long treks ill often carry my water pump too. That way im not packing five lbs of water. Im a thirsty person and If I dont have a drink of some type I am guaranteed miserable.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:34 am

I have a tip for you if you are hunting an area where it is possible. Go in so deep with a route grueling enough that all you want to do is sit there all day and you wouldn't think of having to make that trek more times than necessary.

Personally I enjoy sitting all day. After years of being told that deer only move morning and evening just the thought of killing a buck midday has my spidey senses going crazy midday. Once you kill a few midday it gets much easier to sit there.

jlh42581 wrote:On those long treks ill often carry my water pump.

Would you mind elaborating on what this is and how you use it? Never heard of anyone carrying a water pump into the woods. Sounds like a good idea.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Upper Iowa

Unread postby Upper Iowa » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:07 am

After glassing around & making sure nothing is around I always stand up & draw my bow back every few hours to stay loose. Sometimes on deer or any other animal I'm not going to shoot. I've sat all day & been very cold by the end, before climbing down just to see one time I tried pulling my bow back & couldn't after being so cold & stiff. So now I make sure to keep my muscles loose. With that & all the other suggestions, snacks, something to preoccupy time, reading, pictures, I take a lot personally, hand/foot warmers, & mentally always keeping that thought of catching a midday monster. It's never gonna happen if you're not there!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:12 am

I bring Tiff... ;)
Pre-Baby...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
sethg

Unread postby sethg » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:17 am

Dewey wrote:For all day sits comfort is #1. My HuntComfort seats on my LW's made it so much more tolerable. Also bought a Wide Sit & Climb top this year to convert my Hand Climber for more comfotable long sits. Thinking about adding my Summit Viper seat to add even more.

I bring coffee or hot cocoa on real cold days otherwise just plain water in a water bladder so I'm not making so much movement other sucking on the hose. For food I bring sandwiches and Clif bars. Sometimes cookies or some other treat. Everything gets unwrapped and put in quieter ziplock bags.

If it's fairly cool I make sure to bring plenty of quiet fleece, hand warmer muff with large heat pack and Arctic Shield boot warmers on my feet. Real cold and I will break out my IWOM.

Chapstick was mentioned and that is on my list as well. Windy cool days can really dry and crack your lips.

A smartphone has really made all day sits easier. Nice to get updates from friends and check in on the Beast to see how everyone is doing. I bring a battery pack along to charge if needed so never run low on power. I realize smartphones aren't for everyone on stand so understand if you don't agree with that. Wasn't that long ago I felt the same way. So far it hasn't cost me a shot on a big buck. In the past I probably screwed up on more by dozing off and not paying attention. Now I'm always alert and looking around frequently.

just in case you wanted pics... I made this mod last week... this coming week i'll be stealth stripping all the aluminum tubing and the platform

whitetaildna
Facebook: www.facebook.com/whitetaildna

Unread postby whitetaildna » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:42 am

Just how everybody else is saying, comfort is king. I don't necessarily need a big comfy stand, just a comfortable seat cushion. I suppose being young I don't need a nice big platform. But that can be a major benefit. Secondly, sitting dark to dark and not seeing any deer can really make you question your sanity. I've done it, and it's no fun at all. So if you've got an area in or around a bedding areas where you see deer throughout the day, and know that at any moment a buck can come cruising by to check that bedding whether it be at 7am, noon, or 3pm, those spots can keep you in the game more effectively if you will.

Snacks and drinks help me a ton. I usually take everything out of my hunting pack that I know I won't need while on stand and leave it in the truck, and then pack lots of snacks. I put everything into Ziploc bags and will bring a big thermos of coffee or hot cocoa. Every couple of hours I'll eat something, or have some coffee.

I'm not going to lie either, I spend a lot of time on my phone. I have a charge case for my phone, because if I only had one battery, it'd be dead early in the morning. It keeps me occupied, and when I am on it, every so often I'll look up and glance around.

I think the biggest thing with all day sits is not being so uncomfortable and miserable you are thinking of other things you could be doing, or why your there. Because right when you check out mentally is when something will happen out of nowhere, and I would hate to miss an opportunity because I wasn't ready for something to happen.
Alex Comstock

Founder of WhitetailDNA

http://www.whitetaildna.com
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: All day sitsp

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:19 am

jlh42581 wrote:One thing that greatly increased my comfort is a stove. Ive got a propane two burner and a msr pocket rocket. Heat up some water and pour that in a mountain house, seal it up and ten minutes later youre eating a hot lunch. There is nothing that compares. Even if you walk out to the truck to do it. Where I live its a drive to get to anywhere I hunt, a solid 30 mins most times minimum. I cant tell you how many times someone walked out in the cold at lunch to see me eating a hot lunch or making a new cup of coffee and offered up their jealousy. I often offer to make someone a cup of coffee, few accept.

If youre WAY WAY back, im talking miles of up and down hill it is like something strait out of make believe to sit down and make beef stew in 10 minutes. On those long treks ill often carry my water pump too. That way im not packing five lbs of water. Im a thirsty person and If I dont have a drink of some type I am guaranteed miserable.

I bought a Jetboil for the same reason for this year. My intention is to use it during the gun seasons in December.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
johnsoninc86

Unread postby johnsoninc86 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:44 am

Most of my tips have already been said. Comfort is king. Confidence is crucial as well. So is warmth. There's only a few of my spots where I'm confident enough to sit all day. Staying alert is a challenge at times as well. Sunflower seeds help. I also set goals throughout the day. If I make it to 10am, I get a chocolate granola bar, Noon I get lunch, 3pm I get a clif bar, before you know it, the suns down. Really helps break up the day. If I'm absolutely dying trying to stay awake or focused, I get down and stretch or go scout a new area nearby, usually wakes me right back up and lets you refocus. The real challenge is doing several all-day sits back to back to back. I've found thats what burns me out. During rut week, I usually sleep in one day and make myself a hot breakfast, watch the news, and then head to the stand around 9 or 10, just a one day change of routine that really helps get you back to sanity for the remainder of the week.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:24 pm

I too have switched out the lw seat for a summit seat in my climber. It helped a lot for longer sits

matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:38 pm

No offense guys- but reading these post have left me thinking that some just get psyched out,
Or maybe you're forcing yourself to sit all day? Hunting is suppose to be fun. If you're not having fun stop hunting for awhile. If you truely don't want to hunt all day, don't. Take an hour break. Nobody will now if you climb don't and take a nap at the base of the tree, or get out of the woods and take a drive for an hour. Keep your interest peaked.
I hunt all day out of my alpha. I take some water and maybe a candy bar or a piece of cold pizza. Don't overthink things and keep yourself interested. Imo- you'll be a more efficient hunter cuz you're locked in while in the tree

wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:23 pm

The phone can make u more impatient. I ha esteem my biggest deer at 11am

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:24 pm

matt1336 wrote:No offense guys- but reading these post have left me thinking that some just get psyched out,
Or maybe you're forcing yourself to sit all day? Hunting is suppose to be fun. If you're not having fun stop hunting for awhile. If you truely don't want to hunt all day, don't. Take an hour break. Nobody will now if you climb don't and take a nap at the base of the tree, or get out of the woods and take a drive for an hour. Keep your interest peaked.
I hunt all day out of my alpha. I take some water and maybe a candy bar or a piece of cold pizza. Don't overthink things and keep yourself interested. Imo- you'll be a more efficient hunter cuz you're locked in while in the tree

No one said they aren't having fun sitting all day. Just trying to pass some ideas to keep a well balanced sanity while in the woods instead of staring at trees all day.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:41 pm

PK,
Not the original poster of the water pump idea, but I'll chime in. Katadyn, MSR,etc make water filtration units that operate by pumping water up through a filter unit. They're pretty reliable and allow you to pump water out of shallow areas into bottles or bladders. I use a different system for camping and backpack hunting, a Sawyer Mini in-line filter. It uses gravity (also comes with a small pouch that you can fill and then squeeze) to filter water as it passes through the unit. You just fill a designated *dirty* water bladder and attach the filter to the tubing coming it of it and let it fill your *clean* water bladder below it.
I occasionally take mine scouting or turkey hunting, but can get by with just carrying water in for a treestand hunt.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Not all those who wander are lost...
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:59 pm

I might hunt all day but I don't sit all day, I am a subscriber of Dan's rut hunting method of putting yourself in the best spot for that time of day. Morning setup on bedding, mid morning to mid-day cover a funnel or cruising area, then back to bedding for the evening sit. It certainly breaks up the day and you can maximize your odds.
tysonhunter

Unread postby tysonhunter » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:09 pm

Yea not phyced out lol. Just looking for neat outside box ideas to make the time more efficient or enjoyable. I am specifically interested in how to best pack lunches as that's always a struggle of mine. How many water bottles? (I like my nalgean) I find ziplocks even too noisy for my liking but haven't found a good substitute to them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”