All day sits

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jackson Marsh

Re: All day sits

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:37 pm

Hard to beat a water bladder, collapses as you drink, quiet and you are only grabbing a tube so minimal movement. I fight dehydration during the rut, gotta stay hydrated.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:35 pm

headgear wrote:I might hunt all day but I don't sit all day, I am a subscriber of Dan's rut hunting method of putting yourself in the best spot for that time of day. Morning setup on bedding, mid morning to mid-day cover a funnel or cruising area, then back to bedding for the evening sit. It certainly breaks up the day and you can maximize your odds.

The best scenario is to find a spot that covers it all. I have a few and I would be dumb to move. On good years I have action all day dark to dark.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:40 pm

Dewey wrote:
headgear wrote:I might hunt all day but I don't sit all day, I am a subscriber of Dan's rut hunting method of putting yourself in the best spot for that time of day. Morning setup on bedding, mid morning to mid-day cover a funnel or cruising area, then back to bedding for the evening sit. It certainly breaks up the day and you can maximize your odds.

The best scenario is to find a spot that covers it all. I have a few and I would be dumb to move. On good years I have action all day dark to dark.

I hope to find some like you, Dewey. I haven't yet. Perhaps that has something to do with topography? Here in the mountains we very seldom have a day with the wind consistent period, much less all day long. I typically have at least two sets in mind nearby for an all day hunt, sometimes three.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Not all those who wander are lost...
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:20 pm

Dewey wrote:

Same here Dewey, plus I hunt small properties. I think moving mid day hurts on these more than helps.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:29 pm

^^^thats kinda what I'm saying. If you're worried about all the crap you need to bring so you're comfy- you have me thinking that you're concerned if you can do it. I maybe flat out wrong here and I don't want to offend anyone. But seriously? You're there to hunt- not to eat lunch. The more you eat and drink the more often your body need to dispose of that stuff too. Idk-Maybe it's my style of hunting. For me the time goes by pretty quickly. I've never been one to bring a lot of gear with me so maybe I'm not getting it. To each his own. Sorry. Last post on the topic.

matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:41 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:
matt1336 wrote:No offense guys- but reading these post have left me thinking that some just get psyched out,
Or maybe you're forcing yourself to sit all day? Hunting is suppose to be fun. If you're not having fun stop hunting for awhile. If you truely don't want to hunt all day, don't. Take an hour break. Nobody will now if you climb don't and take a nap at the base of the tree, or get out of the woods and take a drive for an hour. Keep your interest peaked.
I hunt all day out of my alpha. I take some water and maybe a candy bar or a piece of cold pizza. Don't overthink things and keep yourself interested. Imo- you'll be a more efficient hunter cuz you're locked in while in the tree

No one said they aren't having fun sitting all day. Just trying to pass some ideas to keep a well balanced sanity while in the woods instead of staring at trees all day.

I get it. My reason for the reply was that at times some guys I know worry a lot about what they are going to eat and occupy themselves while on stand. Um....how bout hunt? I do all dayers every season. I be sure to eat breakfast and poop prior to getting to the woods/marsh. After that I have a water bottle and maybe a candy bar. I can stand not eating for 8 or so hours. Some can't do that or shouldn't due to medical issues. If im out there all day I'm for sure going to do my best to take every opportunity to catch every bit of movement and potential shots possible. I'm not trying to say one way is bad or better- I'm just offering my opinion.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:58 pm

sethg wrote:
Dewey wrote:For all day sits comfort is #1. My HuntComfort seats on my LW's made it so much more tolerable. Also bought a Wide Sit & Climb top this year to convert my Hand Climber for more comfotable long sits. Thinking about adding my Summit Viper seat to add even more.

I bring coffee or hot cocoa on real cold days otherwise just plain water in a water bladder so I'm not making so much movement other sucking on the hose. For food I bring sandwiches and Clif bars. Sometimes cookies or some other treat. Everything gets unwrapped and put in quieter ziplock bags.

If it's fairly cool I make sure to bring plenty of quiet fleece, hand warmer muff with large heat pack and Arctic Shield boot warmers on my feet. Real cold and I will break out my IWOM.

Chapstick was mentioned and that is on my list as well. Windy cool days can really dry and crack your lips.

A smartphone has really made all day sits easier. Nice to get updates from friends and check in on the Beast to see how everyone is doing. I bring a battery pack along to charge if needed so never run low on power. I realize smartphones aren't for everyone on stand so understand if you don't agree with that. Wasn't that long ago I felt the same way. So far it hasn't cost me a shot on a big buck. In the past I probably screwed up on more by dozing off and not paying attention. Now I'm always alert and looking around frequently.

just in case you wanted pics... I made this mod last week... this coming week i'll be stealth stripping all the aluminum tubing and the platform

Done. Thanks for the idea. My Viper sit's around and gathers dust now so no big deal stealing the seat pad. Fits perfectly on my Wide Sit & Climb.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”