Sign and Cover

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Sign and Cover

Unread postby Jrichard » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:36 am

So now here is my predicament. I have done my damage for the season. I am just waiting on a good buck. Now my friend on the other hand has not killed a deer in over 5 years. Now I know we are geared more towards big bucks. But I need to put this guy on some type of deer.

I just got access to this spot. it butts up to where I killed my deer, and it butts up to Indian preserve. Now to get on some deer what will lead me in the direction of day time sign. I know where the deer bed. They bed in the swamp on the indian preserve. Do I look for scat in and around thicker cover? What should I put him on? Just trying to get him anything lol. Any advice will help.

PK_
500 Club

Re: Sign and Cover

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 am

I would put him on a good funnel near bedding with as foolproof of a wind as possible.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Jrichard

Unread postby Jrichard » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:07 am

PK_ wrote:I would put him on a good funnel near bedding with as foolproof of a wind as possible.

The tough part is the bedding area is on a property that no one has access to. Its all on the indian preservation. My other spot I burned out is close by. But when they cant get to the corn fields on the farm they head down into this field. But its like they all spread out and go where ever. I figure this spot is going to have a ton of deer considering these deer are all abandoning this other spot. Just got to find enough sign to set him up...

Should I go and scout this spot tomorrow morning and go back and hunt it with him in the afternoon? Or just go in blind? I feel like Finding two trees a few hours before dark isnt a smart idea. Planning ahead may be a better opttion ? What do you guys think?

I figure if I put him where there are deer and I set up away from that area in thicker cover, I may have a shot at a decent buck. Only have one more buck tag though.
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:19 am

Are there any acorns or persimmons near the fields or swamp?

Jrichard

Unread postby Jrichard » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:51 am

bwwma wrote:Are there any acorns or persimmons near the fields or swamp?

Acorns are becoming scarce in my area. A lot of trees that were producing are not producing much anymore. Persimmons are not sure. I dont think we have any of those up here. I did do some scouting this week and I found 4 scrapes in about a 400 square foot area and a rub line coming out of a gulley and through a rock wall that I am thinking the deer are using to go from bed to food, and food to bed. They are using this area to avoid us when we were hitting that one spot a hard a couple weeks ago. So the deer are starting to run through again. But I am going to give it another week or two.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:43 am

One of the hardest things to do is set anther hunter up on a buck. Good hunters are easier to set up than guys that don't hunt much. I have set up a number of friends over the years. I set up 2 hunters in 2009 and both guys killed really good bucks (150s). I set a guy up in 2011 he killed a really good buck (150). I set a guy up in 2012 and he killed a good buck (143). I set up a friend in 1991 he didn't hunt the spot like I told him to and he got skunked. The spot was ripe with an East wind he hunted it with a west wind.

I have also set up other hunters where it didn't work out. That's hunting though. I would bet your friend is to the point he is desperate and feels pressured after 5 years. That can add up to trouble by trying too hard. I would set the guy up close to the bedding on the Indian preserve. The closer to bedding the better the chances.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”