Buck bedding along creeks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hatchetman

Buck bedding along creeks

Unread postby Hatchetman » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:40 am

Being newer here, I'm surprised I' have not run accross talk of bucks bedding along creeks and traveling parralel to creeks??

When I scout a thick tangley cedar or tamarack swamp I'm always checking along creeks for sign and bedding. My dad put me on to this many years ago. We had one particular spot that worked like clockwork in gun season with the right wind, one of us would make the push the other would stand. 80% success on deer coming exactly the way we wanted them. Not near that good a % of a good one being in there though but we did get some. As far as bow hunting goes, in a flat featureless swamp, a creek can really be a dynamite transition so to speak. I've always noticed the bucks always liking to bed right up close to the creek. I think they like to use the creek for a danger barrier, something coming on the other side, they can peel out of there and have at least the creek to slow their suiter down. If danger comes from their side, its' "PLUNGE" and they peel out the other side, again having the creek between them and danger. Also there is usually a decent trail parelleling the creek.

I'm talking a decent size creek something with some sizeable width and or depth (small river I guess)

Any other observations on creek lines?

Lockdown

Re: Buck bedding along creeks

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:47 am

If you dig there are a few threads covering this topic. I think there are a couple in Best All Time Tactical. River oxbows are one terrain feature that many Beasts target when available. Oxbows are one place I KNOW I will find bedding as long as cover is adequate.

The water to woods transition is one of my favorites, as long as the buck has a fast escape across/thru the water. Big open slews and lakes seem to get avoided for bedding.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:51 am

Lockdown wrote:If you dig there are a few threads covering this topic. I think there are a couple in Best All Time Tactical. River oxbows are one terrain feature that many Beasts target when available. Oxbows are one place I KNOW I will find bedding as long as cover is adequate.

The water to woods transition is one of my favorites, as long as the buck has a fast escape across/thru the water. Big open slews and lakes seem to get avoided for bedding.

I'll have to do some more digging. I must have missed them.

I agree the big open water is avoided along with deep water marshes, like water considerably over the waders type thing. Got a few of those around I've run across rat trapping.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:52 am

It has been talked about here and there but not a bunch. Some of it is probably under 'river bottoms'.

Your findings are spot on with what others who hunt that type of terrain have posted from what I have seen.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”