Daytime scrape, consistent?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HippiHuntr

Daytime scrape, consistent?

Unread postby HippiHuntr » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:15 am

I have a great buck on camera at 12:30pm hitting a scrape on saturday. They used the same tree last year, I found it too late in the year though to hunt it. The wind was wnw. The worst wind to sit there cause i believe its blowing into a bedding area. Tomorrow theyre calling for a ENE wind which is perfect for me, however, will he still be apt to check it? I plan ok sitting all day the first chance I get when the wind is right. Any tips?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Daytime scrape, consistent?

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:21 am

Scrape or a rub?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:23 am

You need to hunt the spot when the wind is in your favor and not blowing into the bedding area.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
HippiHuntr

Unread postby HippiHuntr » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:28 am

Scrape. Its getting a ton of action throughout all hours, day and nite from different bucks.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:54 am

I would look at it slightly different actually - you need to figure out how to hunt it with a wind that is in the BUCK's favor and still not get busted. Chances are that buck smelled from his bedding area that another buck was there recently and couldn't stand that so came in and worked it mid-day. Will he do it again mid-day - who knows - but I have noticed older bucks seem a bit more comfortable approaching scrapes from downwind in general so if you can make a just off wind work that's what I would try.

A money time to hunt a scrape like that is either the evening or morning right after a rain, bucks will want to freshen it back up. This week is a great time to kill a big buck hitting a scrape right next to his bed.
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:16 am

JoeRE wrote:I would look at it slightly different actually - you need to figure out how to hunt it with a wind that is in the BUCK's favor and still not get busted. Chances are that buck smelled from his bedding area that another buck was there recently and couldn't stand that so came in and worked it mid-day. Will he do it again mid-day - who knows - but I have noticed older bucks seem a bit more comfortable approaching scrapes from downwind in general so if you can make a just off wind work that's what I would try.

A money time to hunt a scrape like that is either the evening or morning right after a rain, bucks will want to freshen it back up. This week is a great time to kill a big buck hitting a scrape right next to his bed.

This is what my thoughts are as well. That buck checked that scrape for some reason, and likely because he could smell another deer hit it from his bed and he couldn't stand it. You'll have to figure out how to hunt it while still staying on an off wind.
HippiHuntr

Unread postby HippiHuntr » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:21 am

Should I try sitting north of the scrape so I'm not directly in line with his wind? His wind is west. And would using local buck urine be worth a shot?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:25 am

I would hunt it when the conditions were the same the day he showed... a lot of the time bucks aRE bedded in a certain area because of a certain wind direction. He may have been bedding there because of that particular wind. Hunting a different "might" mean hunting when he is in a different area... Furthermore, I have seen good bucks bed downwind of scrapes monitoring them quite often in pre-rut. He is probably there on that wind. The trick would be to hunt where he goes after exiting the scrape to avoid being winded.

unless of coarse the camera shows him showing on different winds.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:04 am

HippiHuntr wrote:Should I try sitting north of the scrape so I'm not directly in line with his wind? His wind is west. And would using local buck urine be worth a shot?

It's a game of giving up some areas to keep the best areas scent free. If you know the travel route of the buck it's extremely helpful. If not, you need to do the best you can, "guess". What I'm saying is your approach to the stand gives up some area. A buck will more than likely not come from the way you came in. Next is the bedding area to me this is the most important part of the equation. That is where the buck more than likely will come from. You can't give that bedding area up!! You won't kill the buck if the wind is his favor and not yours. It's basically that simple. Off wind, down wind will both work for you.

If the buck is at the scrape did he scent check it first? Did he smell it from the bed? Did he make the scrape? All questions that help you know where to set up.

A scrape stinks to high heaven when they are being used a lot. You shouldn't need to add anything to it. The least amount of disturbance is key in my opinion. I think your approach to the scrape is critical on how you set up. You don't want the buck crossing your travel route. Some set ups are better than others. Obstructions that you can use in your favor open fields things like this all help determine on how to set up.

Most set ups are not perfect so there is often some wiggle room with most set ups. Another thing to remember you never know until you try it. Good luck.
HippiHuntr

Unread postby HippiHuntr » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:30 am

I think I have a pretty good idea where hes coming from. He comes from the east out of a trail that opens up a bit by some ash and an oak tree and then heads north a few yards and hits the scrape, and then hooks back in towards the direction he came from. I'm gathering from all this that I want to be north of where he hooks back in on a west wind? And I can be near the scrape if I have an east wind.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:45 am

Stanley wrote:
HippiHuntr wrote:Should I try sitting north of the scrape so I'm not directly in line with his wind? His wind is west. And would using local buck urine be worth a shot?

It's a game of giving up some areas to keep the best areas scent free. If you know the travel route of the buck it's extremely helpful. If not, you need to do the best you can, "guess". What I'm saying is your approach to the stand gives up some area. A buck will more than likely not come from the way you came in. Next is the bedding area to me this is the most important part of the equation. That is where the buck more than likely will come from. You can't give that bedding area up!! You won't kill the buck if the wind is his favor and not yours. It's basically that simple. Off wind, down wind will both work for you.

If the buck is at the scrape did he scent check it first? Did he smell it from the bed? Did he make the scrape? All questions that help you know where to set up.

A scrape stinks to high heaven when they are being used a lot. You shouldn't need to add anything to it. The least amount of disturbance is key in my opinion. I think your approach to the scrape is critical on how you set up. You don't want the buck crossing your travel route. Some set ups are better than others. Obstructions that you can use in your favor open fields things like this all help determine on how to set up.

Most set ups are not perfect so there is often some wiggle room with most set ups. Another thing to remember you never know until you try it. Good luck.

Stan is right in line with my thoughts...
HippiHuntr

Unread postby HippiHuntr » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:34 pm

Thanks for all the imput guys! My sit tonight went well. Here was my strategy.

I had a northwest/west wind. My entrance was from the north and to the east from the tree. I went back about a mile and hooked west, wind in my face. I hunted a tree 30 yards from a creek edge and about 70 yards east of the scrape hes hitting. Facing north, the wind carrying my scent back towards the creek. I was right on the trail he takes, 20 plus feet up in the only good tree with my viper. ( I am becoming partial to my lone wolf for this reason). If he came from the east and stepped out of the thicket 20 yards to my right I'd have my pin on him before he took another step.

What happened: about 6:30 I caught movement 100 yards in the direction I'd thought hed come from. I hit the grunt call once. Then here comes a deer. I see hes only a 1.5 yo and he steps out right where I planned. He weary now cause theres no deer. Then I hear something from the direction he came, as I look I see a nice set of tines headed my way. Now I'm wondering if hes the one. As he gets closer I realize hes not but hes one I havent seen yet. A real tall, out to the ears 7 point. Maybe 3.5 but his neck was swelled so it was iffy. He stepped out exactly where I thought and again, I didnt draw. He eventually saw me sticking out like a sore thumb in that branchless ash tree lol and trotted away. But he didnt wind me. If the deer I've been after for 2 years now would have done that, hed be hanging in my garage right now. I applied all the tips, and even though I didnt shoot anything, its been a game changing hunt. I only really started paying attention to the wind seriously this year after hearing Dan on Wired to Hunt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”