In season scouting and disappearing deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

In season scouting and disappearing deer

Unread postby cedarsavage » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:55 pm

This season has been feast and famine so far, either I see multiple deer or I can't find a track. The last 3 sits in a row have been famine, and a trail camera in one of my top spots got one picture of a deer ear in a week. That spot is transition out of bedding and really doesn't heat up til there's a foot of snow but there's generally a few resident deer in there. For the most part I can't complain, for the low density and big woods I've done fairly well, but we always want to do better. Do you think it would be worth skipping a sit maybe two to just scout and try to locate animals? I've got a few rut and migration spots that I'm very confident in and I'm afraid of playing those cards too early. Would it be worth saving those spots for a little later and spending an evening or two trying to find deer? October is always a tough month to hunt here and especially so with our low herd now. I was thinking about just scouting tomorrow and Wednesday heading back to check a cam on a good rut/late season and deciding if I'd hunt or scout based on the card pull. Opinions?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Dingus

Re: In season scouting and disappearing deer

Unread postby Dingus » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:03 pm

I wud definitely scout. But while scouting bring yer bow and stand along and if u find really hot sign set up right then. Or if its mid day come bak and hunt it that same evening.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:18 pm

Giving up a few days sitting on stand and doing some valuable in season scouting has payed off big for me a number of times. Nothing like fresh sign to tell you what is currently going on or where deer are spending most of their time. This time of the year I would especially pay attention to where the does are because one thing you can count on before long the bucks will be there as well.

Joe68
500 Club
Facebook: Don't believe in facebook

Unread postby Joe68 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:16 am

So you find hot sign. Do you setup and hunt it then if the conditions are right for the spot or come back in a couple days? Iam always thinking about that because of all the ground scent that is left from trying to find that hot sign. What is your thoughts on this.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
titan23_87

Unread postby titan23_87 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:21 am

Joe68 wrote:So you find hot sign. Do you setup and hunt it then if the conditions are right for the spot or come back in a couple days? Iam always thinking about that because of all the ground scent that is left from trying to find that hot sign. What is your thoughts on this.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Depends on where the sign is located. If is near doe or buck bedding within the cover then I would. (Obviously the type of sign and the direction it is facing in relation to those beds help you dictate on when to hunt it). If the sign is more in the open, especially in a higher pressured area, most likely was done at night after or before shooting light.

Joe68
500 Club

Unread postby Joe68 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:31 am

Great points there. Thanks
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:34 am

My favorite way to find new areas is to drive around public areas and check parking lots on Saturday mornings to see what's getting hunted. When I find spots that aren't getting hunted I go in around nine a.m. And start scouting. If I find something good I back out and go get my stand and hunt it that evening. I always take a weapon when in season scouting. It's a little more of a pain but I don't want to end up with a nice buck standing in front of me without a way to send an arrow or bullet. This has worked out really well for me in the past. Even if you don't see anything that day you have info for the future.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:22 am

Can I ask you this. How many leaves do you have left on the trees?
Joe68
500 Club

Unread postby Joe68 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:35 am

I live near the Saginaw Bay in Michigan and I would say half the leaves are still holding on.
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:25 am

Jrichard wrote:Can I ask you this. How many leaves do you have left on the trees?

Not many which I think is adding to the problem. We have lots of maples so I think they're pretty spread out for feeding. I've got a couple bedding areas picked out to scout from a little ways out with binoculars today from a safe spot and hopefully come up with a plan for tomorrow's se wind, unless I find something smoking hot then I'm gonna hunt today

Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:48 am

Based on what you have said ask yourself this. If I sit the next two times and don't see deer would I regret not taking those two sits scouting and trying to find deer? My guess is yes. You're not seeing the deer you want now so I feel it would be a waste of time to sit around and hope things change. Like others have said I would put a stand on your back and scout and hunt only if you find good sign that you feel confident in otherwise keep moving. If you don't find anything you just know more areas not to sit and waste your time. Save your rut spots until you think it will be productive to hunt them and don't ruin them due to impatience. Good luck
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:44 am

My scouting paid off I located some animals. I'm curious to see what you guys think. I could hunt here tomorrow or try another spot that I found. I'm debating if I wanna let this sit til rifle season and let the rut kick up or hit it now. There's a decent trail leading to the peninsula and coming out to the oak ridge, at the beginning of the peninsula is a rub that doesn't like it's been hit this year yet, I could either sit it now where there's a b, we should have a a se wind tomorrow so it would be just off, or wait til rifle season and sit where the g is and be able to shoot across the channel and thread a shot through the brush.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”