On a Shooter, Thoughts on Approach

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kraftd
500 Club

On a Shooter, Thoughts on Approach

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:30 am

Sunday morning I paddled in to a spot I jumped a good buck in the last day of bow season last year. Set up outside of bedding on potential J-Hook route with a decoy out, did a little rattling later in the morning. Nothing seen. I did a little scouting late morning and found a massive track heading out of the bedding I jumped the buck out of in January. Couple of pretty fresh scrapes and loads of his tracks.

Didn't come in Sunday morning that I could tell, and didn't appear to bust him out when I was in there. Tracks I found looked fresh, likely from exit from bedding Saturday.

General set-up is this is a river bend/oxbow. River runs give or take north south on the west side and then runs straight to the east. The point is big enough and thick enough that bedding doesn't necessarily seem to be wind specific from past scouting. Most of his sign was within 15-20 yards of the bank, which I imagine gives him an out across the river, which is what he did when I jumped him in January. I prepped a tree five yards off the river bank with the trail another 8 yards or so in from that. Between two fresh scrapes (one about 30 yards each direction though no shots because of how thick it is).

General plan is to get in from the river early on any kind of southish wind and sit all day hoping he either comes in a little late and scent checks the bedding from the river bank, moves around scent checking for does that bed in sattellite bedding on the point, or comes out scent checking the point for does at the end of the day. Based on sign I think if I'd have done an all day sit Saturday I'd have had him. Wasn't in a spot to do that Sunday and I already left scent every where scouting so would have been compromised anyways.

Right now Friday is looking like a good bet based on wind and schedule, though Thursday isn't off the table. Wednesday looks like rain, so thinking that could be a decent bet.

So, without much more for context, what are the chances my farting around in there buggerred him out, assuming that if/when he came back through he made it in/out safely? Can't be certain, but sort of presuming that this is the first human intrusion in here this year, though the it gets hit pretty hard out of the junk a couple hundred yards away.

Also, anyone else have any suggestions/ something I missed in my approach? Sunday morning was supposed to be a little bit of a high odds observation sit, and didn't see him coming back in (Hopefully he didn't take an arrow Saturday evening or Sunday morning). Not sure I have many other places in this spot to observe from. That being said, the tree I prepped should be pretty iron clad for access. Canoe to the bank, 6 steps to tree, back out with a south wind.

At a minimum, I have this one figured out for future seasons. Wish I would have prepped this tree for opening week, feel like I'd have had a great shot. This is pretty great bedding so should produce into the future too.

whitetailassasin

Re: On a Shooter, Thoughts on Approach

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:32 am

My only thing, if you hunting morning you have to make sure you don't bust him going in. He may come back to bed, but he may not. I'd use grey light to slip in. I like your plan of attack. Some bucks tolerate a little infusion some don't, but it's with a try

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:39 am

I would save the decoy / rattling for if the buck is going out a way you can't kill him... A buck that age and size has dealt with calling before. Mature bucks in heavy pressure are best killed catching them off guard. My opinion is to get where all the tracks were and set up. Might be to late, might not be, but get in there soon.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:54 am

Thanks guys. Thinking I can get in in the am with lowmliklihood of bumping him unless we happen to time up at the exact same time.

Sunday was more observation and didn't rattle until later in he morning, also hadn't confirmed he was still there, probably would have let that be if I knew that was the case.

Going to get back in yet this week and see what I see. Figuring pre rut worth and all sayer if the wind looks stable. Keep on it based on what I see. Then can always throw a late season hunt at it if I don't see him and hope he made it again since I know he was in there last year.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”