Help me with Scrapes?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Help me with Scrapes?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:10 am

I've never been much of a scrape hunter, but have shot a few bucks near isolated scrapes near cover.

I have a private land parcel I haven't hunted yet that I just found a string of about 30 scrapes, in a corridor less than 100 yards long.

Its a mini subtle ridge (20 ft high) that the scrapes are on, and they are on the edge of thick/wooded/brush to mostly open field transition. The bucks are coming from the thick woods I'm sure, and walking this edge at first or last light I assume. But why so many scrapes? They are mostly small or just recently started scrapes. What wind would you hunt this on? Ridge runs N/S, bucks from West, the small field is E. To me, anything but an east wind would work, with minor stand placement changes I think.

Is now the best time to hunt scrapes? Morning or evenings?

Thanks!

Kraftd
500 Club

Re: Help me with Scrapes?

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:10 am

I'll bite, though more to test my own thinking, very curious to hear what others say here too.

From what I have seen now can be a great time to hunt scrapes if you're predisposed. Most of the does aren't in heat yet, so more time for scrap checking. I've seen most scraping slow way down, especially mature bucks, once they are with does consistently.

As far as your situation. one or two horned up 1.5/2.5 year olds could lay down quite a few scrapes in a night if they get goofy about it. I've seen little guys just sort of walk around pawing a couple of times. Kind of sounds like that may be what is going on. Any evidence (tracks, bigger rubs) of older bucks using or making these scrapes?

In that small of a corridor and that linear of a line, I'd say get in there asap and spend all day at it if you think a buck you're after may be using the scrape line. If the buck or bucks are making scrapes that aggressively now, chances are something will come through in daylight checking if you're as close to bedding as it sounds. Bonus if the sit can be during or after rain I would imagine.
RDubs44

Re: Help me with Scrapes?

Unread postby RDubs44 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:07 pm

I am new to the forum.

However, fresh sign is always a hot ticket. Hunt when you are able maybe even after some rain events.

If you have no other places to hunt, I would give it a shot.

A lot times little bucks will go scrape drunk and scrape everywhere. If not sure check for big tracks in scrape.

Enjoy!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”