Things are ready to blow...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetail_addict

Things are ready to blow...

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:18 am

A friend of mine took a phone video of a brute of a 10 point and another smaller buck chasing a doe hard today around 11:00 am here in Western Wisconsin. They were chasing for several minutes running her around in circles in a field right along side the road. The big one had his toungue hanging out and all. Likely an early doe in heat but it's beginning! Another friend killed a solid 13 point last night here as well.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Dewey

Re: Things are ready to blow...

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:47 pm

Drove home from Iowa tonight and there were fresh road kills all over. Saw a few cars pulled over smashed up in western WI and young bucks laying in the road. Almost hit a few myself. Major increase in deer movement all of a sudden. Gonna get good real quick.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:51 pm

Yep starting to see some bucks on the road. Part of that is the farmers are in the fields big time. Part of it is the time of the year.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:33 pm

Yea last several days saw a major flurry in pre-rut activity. I think here and there a doe came into estrus early too, just one here and there. I saw a 150 inch 10 pointer that sure looked like he was tending a doe out in a CRP field a couple days ago and heard a couple other people saw something similar. Stanley's right too - the amount of cover out there across most of the midwest is being reduced 50-90% by harvesting. A lot more visibility.

It will probably die back down for a few days while this big weather system moves through the midwest mid-week then should be another good flurry after that.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:58 am

I saw two lone does this weekend. Both acted like they were about to come into heat. One came in to my grunt looked like she was looking for a buck. Nothing showed around her from what I saw. Our doe to buck ratio is pretty unbalanced.

justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:59 am

JoeRE wrote:It will probably die back down for a few days while this big weather system moves through the midwest mid-week then should be another good flurry after that.

Heavy wind and rain in the forecast this Wednesday in SE Wisconsin. Would you expect that to slow them down a bit?
whitetail_addict

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:32 am

justin84 wrote:
JoeRE wrote:It will probably die back down for a few days while this big weather system moves through the midwest mid-week then should be another good flurry after that.

Heavy wind and rain in the forecast this Wednesday in SE Wisconsin. Would you expect that to slow them down a bit?

Most likely at least to some degree... but be ready for things to get going after it pushes through!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”