hunting standing corn

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fishlips
500 Club

hunting standing corn

Unread postby fishlips » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:18 am

I have a spot i am thinking of hunting. Its about a 20 acre cornfield that is still standing. There is a small island of trees in the middle of it with a gun hunting stand built in it. No one hunts it until gun season and with the corn still standing it has my interest. Anyone had any luck with a spot like this? I mostly was looking at it because it would be a comfy sit for my 4 year old son but now i am thinking it might not be a bad little overlooked spot

[ Post made via Android ] Image

fauxfly

Re: hunting standing corn

Unread postby fauxfly » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:21 am

If your talking about actually walking into the field - you pretty much have to wait for a gusty windy day. Around me the deer will bed near the edges - a few yards into the field. I actually snuck up on a doe with her looking the other way - perpendicular to the wind - I was so careful to literally not make a sound - I had my bow almost at full draw and the leaves were in the way and made a sound as I tried to get enough room - she didn't even turn to see what made the noise - just exploded - what a rush it was!!!

Really enforces the importance of a super quiet approach!!
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:07 am

Yea that would be tough without the wind to give you some cover noise. If you have any wind in the forecast I would go for it though, why not. Maybe they'd bed on the edge of that island. Just the other day I tried my best to sneak in on the edge of standing corn and bumped a couple that were bedded down no more than 30 yards from me. That dry corn is super loud.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:00 am

I think that spot has great potential. Couple of things to point out some mornings the corn can have a lot of dew and your son could get soaked walking in. Some wind 5+ could be the ticket on an evening hunt.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
braveheart

Unread postby braveheart » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:43 am

It's not likely that the spot has been overlooked as someone has already set a gun blind in it. In my experience, unless it's an mast tree actively dropping acorns/fruit etc. (in the cover of standing corn), it's' just another tree. It's to big to rub, there's plenty of shade and dry ground with standing corn, blah, blah, blah., however, if you can get high enough in the tree, it may be a good observation tree to see where deer enter the corn from the edges. Maybe you can backtrack from there and set up on a trail.
Good luck!
A never ending quest for knowledge and absorption of nature through hunting.
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:20 pm

Thanks for the input guys. All good stuff to consider. I plan on sitting it, mostly because I know it's a good set for my son and also because I actually think it could produce. We'll see I guess. Weather is calling for a good wind and should be breezy enough to cover up at least some of the noise.
slowpoke69

Unread postby slowpoke69 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:00 am

This is all good info. I have a stand I'm hunting tonight thats next to standing corn. There is a tree in the field and I've wondered about looking into. Can't wait for your report back.

fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:01 am

Never got a chance to test my hunch. Farmer picked the corn before i sat. The little island did look great though. Very thick and did find good size tracks around it

justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:22 am

Bummer. On the bright side, now that you know it's picked you can keep an eye on it for evening feeding, maybe sneak in one night while they are still picking on scraps.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”