How 4" of rain affects deer movement in the marsh...?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

boldlygo

How 4" of rain affects deer movement in the marsh...?

Unread postby boldlygo » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:52 am

So last night I was out at my "money" spot with my father, we had a nice section of cattails covered. Right smack dab in the middle of them, in a place sure to intercept deer moving on their trails. 20 mph NorthWest wind, temps dropping from 50 to 32, drizzling rain.... I thought conditions were perfect.

We saw no deer. None. Zip, zero, nada.

It was an uncharacteristically dry summer/fall this year, the drought hit my area pretty hard. The last 2 weeks were very warm. However, the past 3 days have seen non-stop rain resulting in over 4" of accumulation. When I scouted these cattails this summer, the ground was practically (and unusually) dry. Stomping out last night, it was shin-to-knee deep (per usual), thanks to the tremendous rainfall.

And like I said, we saw no deer.

Though it was the opening day of rifle, I highly doubt any guys were out there. In fact, there is only one guy I suspect (who is no longer a friend of mine) that might have hunted those trails during archery and messed everything up on me, and even then I don't know if he was or was not.

If one assumes the aforementioned p.o.s. hunter did not hunt out there, would receiving such a substantial amount of rain (coupled with wind and cold) prevent deer from bedding or moving out in the marsh? They bed there all the time, I'm having a hard time believing downpours and wind (albeit after a long stretch of warm/calm) caused them to hunker down and go nowhere.

Thanks!
~J
Last edited by Jackson Marsh on Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language

“A grindstone that had not grit in it, how long would it take to sharpen an ax? And affairs that had not grit in them, how long would they take to make a man?”
Jackson Marsh

Re: How 4" of rain affects deer movement in the marsh...?

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:42 am

I've noticed in marshes I scout the bedding can be a lot more sporadic when it's dry because deer have more options on where to bed. When the water is deep the secure and dry areas are much more limited.

If it's a secure spot they should be back in the area you describe. It could have been other hunters pressure or it could have been just deer being deer. I've hunted good proven areas and not seen squat too, which is always a little disapointing. Keep at it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”