0 for 2 and Down and Out

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JP671

0 for 2 and Down and Out

Unread postby JP671 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:35 pm

Hello Beasts. This is my first post and not a good one. I had two shots on different does and missed the first and hit the second low at 15 ft up in the tree. Problem is only finding small spurts of bright red blood that ends at the river after 50 yds. It took me two hours to hike to the other side and couldn't locate a trail in the dark.I did wait a few hours before tracking .I'm going in in the morning and need some feedback. Any thoughts on the chance she is down? I know there are holes in the evidence provided so please lead me in the right direction.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Lockdown

Re: 0 for 2 and Down and Out

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:26 pm

How wide and deep is the river? One of the first bucks I ever shot ran to a small river then followed the bank (in the water) 50 yards and doubled back. That really threw us for a loop. So there is no guarantee that she crossed.

How good was the blood trail up until the river?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Razorhead

Unread postby Razorhead » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:37 pm

Did you recover your arrow? If so, what did it show?

He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my sole.
JP671

Unread postby JP671 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:12 am

Lockdown wrote:How wide and deep is the river? One of the first bucks I ever shot ran to a small river then followed the bank (in the water) 50 yards and doubled back. That really threw us for a loop. So there is no guarantee that she crossed.

How good was the blood trail up until the river?

The river is about 15 yds at the point she crossed. I never even thought about her doubling back. I'll scan the rivers edge before I cross today. The blood trail is not murder seen but I see blood drops every 4-5 ft.

JP671

Unread postby JP671 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:16 am

Razorhead wrote:Did you recover your arrow? If so, what did it show?

The front half was buried in soft dirt and the vanes were bloody. I couldn't find much hair, and what I did find was brown or white. I don't think that is a good sign.

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:34 am

Sometimes on a low hit the organs lay on top of the hole and plug it up so you won't see a lot of blood. Don't give up or get discouraged.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Matty

Unread postby Matty » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:44 am

Do you recall how she reacted?
Tail tucked?
Running hard?
Shot feel good front to back? Just low?
How far could you see her run?
No crashing or loud rustling sounds afterwards?

So far it sounds like it could be a non-fatal muscle hit.
But if it's only 50 yards to the river, you could just as easily have a dead deer. Right now we can't make that determination.

Definitely check for doubling back like Lockdown mentioned, they seem to do that a lot when they get to something they dont want to cross like a road or river. If it's a really tough spot to cross the river (for deer), its a very good chance she did...may even move along the river to a crossing. I've also had a few die in creeks/rivers...so check the best you can.

If all else fails, grid search and follow out any trails from last blood.

Good luck!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:48 am

Sounds like it could be gut or liver... Is the blood dark red or light red? Liver hit deer often go strait to water and lay in the water... If its gut hit, its dead, you just have to find it. It can take 4 or more hours to die from a liver hit, and 12 or more from a gut hit.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:30 am

dan wrote:Sounds like it could be gut or liver... Is the blood dark red or light red? Liver hit deer often go strait to water and lay in the water... If its gut hit, its dead, you just have to find it. It can take 4 or more hours to die from a liver hit, and 12 or more from a gut hit.

First post said bright red, Dan.

If blood is bright red and you're finding drops every 4 to 5 feet, I'd say that's a good sign. Keep in mind she could have died IN the river and floated away if it's deep enough.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:59 am

Tracking in the dark is a mistake on any marginal shot. You just cant see whats going on. You gotta just wait until morning for more reasons than one. Once the doe is pushed it becomes a much harder task. Guys that wait until morning recover the animal 10 times more than those that track in the dark. It's a discipline thing that a hunter develops over time and experiences. Sorry for the lecture but it may help you down the line. Hope you find the doe.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:34 am

Good luck!!!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:55 am

Bright red blood, just drips, brown and white hair - a low hit, maybe not fatal if you just got brisket or a leg but if you entered the bottom of the chest cavity its almost certainly a dead deer. Those low chest hits are tough recoveries sometimes - they can go far longer than average even when clipping both lungs. Good luck on the search.

One thing I have learned - don't assume a fatally hit deer won't cross a big obstacle. MOST of the time they wont but I have seen a lot of exceptions too - a buck climbing a 300 foot bluff to die at the top of it, deer crossing big roads or rivers in your case. If she wanted across she was going across and still might be dead 50 feet beyond the far bank.

I agree with Stan on recoveries. I know some places are lousy with coyotes, but finding a half eaten deer or even a skeleton is better than finding nothing at all. If yotes were a huge worry I would sit out all night and listen for them to make a big commotion and then maybe move in, rather than going after a marginal hit deer in the dark.
BACKSTRAPALIEN

Unread postby BACKSTRAPALIEN » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:04 am

I've recovered a few deer from the river itself. One bedded and died on the bank, anothe floated 100 yds down and hung up on a log. When all else fails walk the bank for a good distance. Good luck.

JP671

Unread postby JP671 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:36 am

Thanks for all the help guys. So I was back at it in the morning and followed blood for about a 1/2 mile until the blood ran dry.It was down to a single drop of blood every few feet. After reading all the comments, I don't think it was fatal which is a horrible feeling. Brown hair turned out it was white hair with blood. It was a long walk of shame back. At least that's how it felt. I'll be back at it next week. It'll will be a shame for me to leave Ohio with only a buck and no doe. A doe was my goal this year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”