Buck working his scrape after a rain

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ognennyy
500 Club

Buck working his scrape after a rain

Unread postby Ognennyy » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:41 am

What's the clock on this behavior? How soon after the rain ends can you expect to see a buck doing this?

I've located a primary scrape near the edge of a roughly 6 acre area - thick and nasty woods - that bucks are bedded in. I'm guessing the bucks aren't afraid to work the scrape in daylight. It's been raining here on and off for 4 days straight now, and it's supposed to end around 4am tomorrow morning.

Is it a safe assumption that the bucks will hit that scrape around 5-6am on their way back into bed before daylight?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Buck working his scrape after a rain

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:05 am

Ognennyy wrote:What's the clock on this behavior? How soon after the rain ends can you expect to see a buck doing this?

I've located a primary scrape near the edge of a roughly 6 acre area - thick and nasty woods - that bucks are bedded in. I'm guessing the bucks aren't afraid to work the scrape in daylight. It's been raining here on and off for 4 days straight now, and it's supposed to end around 4am tomorrow morning.

Is it a safe assumption that the bucks will hit that scrape around 5-6am on their way back into bed before daylight?

I don't know if I would go as far as assuming they will... But, there is a good chance they will.
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:48 am

Dan I'm happy to have your input here. I remember hearing a podcast with you and Mario where you recalled a specific hunt. You made a point that you knew your target buck would be out to work his scrape as soon as the rain stopped. It sounded to me like you were making a point of how confident you were in that guess.

Were you just being conversationally dramatic about your confidence, or were you actually that confident? And if so, what made you so confident in that scenario?
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:34 pm

Dan probably knew that particular buck well. I wouldn't be confident down to an hour just generally speaking, but if the rain stops during the night and the scrape is right on the way back into the buck's bedroom, I would bet it gets worked when the buck comes back from a night out and about. Before or after daylight - that is always the million dollar question. Morning bed hunts are challenging but with good conditions you might get the buck coming back to bed in daylight.

Cool temps, high pressure, a good flurry of pre-rut activity if you have them all can keep a buck out and about a few minutes longer. A rain overnight seems like it helps sometimes too for whatever reason.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:58 am

Joe is correct... I was confident, because I new that buck and his behavior well... Hear is an old story about that exact buck and the hunt for him:

viewtopic.php?f=159&t=1345
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:14 am

Thanks guys.
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:48 am

Ognennyy wrote:Dan I'm happy to have your input here. I remember hearing a podcast with you and Mario where you recalled a specific hunt. You made a point that you knew your target buck would be out to work his scrape as soon as the rain stopped. It sounded to me like you were making a point of how confident you were in that guess.

Were you just being conversationally dramatic about your confidence, or were you actually that confident? And if so, what made you so confident in that scenario?

I apologize for a somewhat high Jack but I have to start listening to the podcasts but have been so busy with life right now.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”