Boots

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wolfie729
500 Club

Boots

Unread postby wolfie729 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:46 am

What kind of boots you guys wear? I'm always getting cold feet.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Earn what’s never given.
BA-IV

Re: Boots

Unread postby BA-IV » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:54 am

I usually do too...I been considering the boot blankets. Read some reviews and the best thing from what I read is to take your boots off and put your sock feet in the boot blankets and if it's really cold throw a hand warmer in.

wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:39 am

Ya I just dont like carrying more than I have too

Earn what’s never given.
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:45 am

Lol. My feet always getting cold with hip boots. The boots don't breath. I was thinking of getting boot blanks looking this weekend at the store. Thinking of taking hip boots off on stand and put on dry socks pair of sandals and putting boot blanket over. Also was wondering the black open shoes the cable guys put on entering house?? Put on blanket & put those on outside. The lone wolf you need solid bottoms on your feet. Sick of all brands of knee high rubber boots wearing out or leaking in 1 - 2 years. They cost a lot and don't last

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:27 am

My feet are always hot...to the point they sweat and are always cold lol...

For hunting I've went to wearing leather boots 90% of the time...oddly enough I have less deer spook when they hit where I walked...

I tried foot sprays and powders and I only wear good socks...rubber boots were a no go for me..

And my Danners fit much better and are much more comfortable and I feel I can walk quieter..

Matty

Unread postby Matty » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:10 am

First, I assume you know the secrets to warmer feet.

-Loose fitting boots to allow good circulation (I'm a size 9, but I wear 11's for cold weather)
-Optional but helpful if your feet sweat a lot, synthetic liner wicking sock (no cotton)
-Good wool or synthetic wool or fleece outer sock
(or just change socks when you get there so your feet are dry)

For years my feet froze, but my boots were too tight and I tried to layer up even more socks making them even tighter. I didn't know any better. Thought I was a sissy or just prone to cold feet.

I don't remember who taught me to size way up on cold weather boots, but God bless them. Now I have actually worn uninsulated boots during Winter bow and the February coyote season. Turns out I'm not a sissy after all. lol

For most of my hunting I use Cabelas pinnacles (I think thats the name). They are a knee high leather boot with a zipper front and have something like 300 gram insulation. They are pretty waterproof, like I can cross a creek or walk through swamp, but they will start to seep water if I walk in a creek for a while. I like them a lot better than the rubber boots I used to get. My feet sweated too much in them and they weren't as comfy.

These are also scent-lok, but that means nothing to me and probably to you. Theres nothing on earth that can contain the odor of my feet after a lot of hiking. lol

Sadly I just tried to find them on Cabelas, but didn't see them. Hopefully I'm just missing them and they didn't stop making them.

If the area is all dry, I usually wear my Cabelas Meindl Air Revolutions. Not sure if they make them anymore either, but they are great for a lot of hiking. My feet will get cold in those, because they are sized much tighter, but I just wear one thin pair of good wool socks and they can keep me on stand down to about the 20's for a few hours.

I will say, I did use boot blankets once in PA rifle season years and years ago. My feet were like blocks of ice the day before, so my buddy let me borrow his boot blankets the next day. They are incredible! He told me how he did it and I tried it, somewhat skeptically.

I took my boots off once I got to my spot, put fresh dry socks on, boot blankets and also placed hand warmers inside. Never felt better. Like relaxing at home with your feet in slippers. I hate to carry anything with me though, so I never bought a pair of my own.
They are lightweight though, and if you really suffer from frozen feet, they might be worth hooking to the stand.
Matty

Unread postby Matty » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:15 am

BA-IV wrote:I usually do too...I been considering the boot blankets. Read some reviews and the best thing from what I read is to take your boots off and put your sock feet in the boot blankets and if it's really cold throw a hand warmer in.

Absolutely! Your feet won't even know they left home. lol
Bubbles

Unread postby Bubbles » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:21 am

Big fan of changing into a dry, alpaca wool sock when I get close to my stand. I use a thin merino sock on my hike in with my hip waders. Then I change boots and socks for the sit.

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:00 am

I wear my mucks if it's cold and I expect to get wet, lacrosse ice kings for real cold and dry. Biggest thing that helps me cuz I sweat easy is putting regular socks on inside a gallon ziplock for the walk in and putting on my wool socks at the stand.

woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:15 am

Hi Tec, both ankle high and 8 inch high. They are water proof and insulated and have good soles for traction. The price isn't insane either.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:11 am

cedarsavage wrote:I wear my mucks if it's cold and I expect to get wet, lacrosse ice kings for real cold and dry. Biggest thing that helps me cuz I sweat easy is putting regular socks on inside a gallon ziplock for the walk in and putting on my wool socks at the stand.

How do those muck boots hold up?

Earn what’s never given.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:33 am

BA-IV wrote:I usually do too...I been considering the boot blankets. Read some reviews and the best thing from what I read is to take your boots off and put your sock feet in the boot blankets and if it's really cold throw a hand warmer in.

I have boot blankets that's exactly what I do. Works real good.

jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:07 pm

wolfie729 wrote:
cedarsavage wrote:I wear my mucks if it's cold and I expect to get wet, lacrosse ice kings for real cold and dry. Biggest thing that helps me cuz I sweat easy is putting regular socks on inside a gallon ziplock for the walk in and putting on my wool socks at the stand.

How do those muck boots hold up?

Mucks really don't hold up all that well to briars (or turkey spurs, can vouch for that). They're really comfortable if you have a short walk and a long sit, but I can't hike in very far and sure can't climb hills with them.

Not all those who wander are lost...
SneakyHunter

Unread postby SneakyHunter » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:19 pm

One problem might be your core is actually getting cold. Maybe you're already doing this but make sure you're wearing a neck gaiter, heavy knit hat and good base layers. Here's a quote to explain

"It's part of your natural physiology and method for regulating body temperature: Your body temp is controlled by the hypothalamus, the thermostat in your brain. When you’re exposed to cold, your body pulls blood away from your skin in closer to your core. As the blood—and accompanying heat—rush to warm your vital organs, your extremities are left cold."
Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:34 pm

I've been rocking some danner high ground uninsulated and they've been good down to 40-45 with some wool socks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”