Not what it seems...(blind)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bwwma

Not what it seems...(blind)

Unread postby bwwma » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:28 pm

Went in blind today based off topo maps and satellite. Looked good on paper, pine thicket, food plot, hardwoods, converging ridges, with a perfect bench that could be used to scent check all the above. After the long walk to access the bench, I arrive to an 80' bluff instead of the gradual slope the map & GPS called for. I know from experience things change & everything may not be as it seems on the map vs on foot but this was the worst difference I've experienced going in blind. I'm glad I waited til pink light to start walking in. Just something to keep in mind when going in blind.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

mauser06
500 Club

Re: Not what it seems...(blind)

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:55 pm

.....well that aughta funnel the deer travel!

You're absolutely right... sometimes things aren't as they appear...going in blind DOES work...but not always... nothing beats getting boots on the ground..but if it comes down to not hunting or hunting places that aren't producing or I've already burnt up..I'm going in blind...

Usually when I do it's late morning so I can kinda scout my way in to my selected point..I've never went in completely blind in the dark..

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:28 pm

I did not know that topo maps could be that off. Something I will keep in mind while hunting hill country blind this year. Thanks for the heads up.

It does suck when a blind hunt blows up. But nothing beats those goosebumps when you walk in on a set and it is better than you imagined and the deer read the script. Makes those blunders well worth it IMO.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:12 pm

I'm a fan of going in blind. I'll go in blind if folks are parked in an area I was planning on hunting, or if I wanna check out a new place. And yes it is exciting when there is hot sign in the area you picked based off maps.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”