Thoughts on how the bucks will use this terrain feature?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

buckeye

Thoughts on how the bucks will use this terrain feature?

Unread postby buckeye » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:30 am

This is a new to me piece of public land that I have yet to hunt and have plans to hunt this particular area when conditions are right.

The layout of this has me a little confused on how I think the older bucks will cruise this particular terrain layout that is circled in ORANGE when going N to S or S to N from the larger blocks of land.

They basically have two choices, follow the ridge / point on the West side of the circle or to traverse the whole ravine bottom and go up / down the crows foot.

In either scenario, they have to drop into the bottom and cross it, I just can't come to a conclusion on which way would get the best movement.

Thoughts?

Black lines are roads. Purple dashes are equestrian trails.

Instagram.com/buckeye_archer
Grasshopper

Re: Thoughts on how the bucks will use this terrain feature?

Unread postby Grasshopper » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:25 am

I hunt some private land with a similar feature. I hung a stand near the top of the ridge at the top of a narrow draw and some cruise above the draws similar to the purple equestrian trail but usually tighter to the draws in the thermal tunnel. A lot of bucks cruise the bottom too they follow an old path that basically runs on a contour that meets the bottom of the draws. I've seen many mature bucks do this, but it's very hard to hunt down there due to swirling winds.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
buckeye

Unread postby buckeye » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:28 am

Grasshopper wrote:I hunt some private land with a similar feature. I hung a stand near the top of the ridge at the top of a narrow draw and some cruise above the draws similar to the purple equestrian trail but usually tighter to the draws in the thermal tunnel. A lot of bucks cruise the bottom too they follow an old path that basically runs on a contour that meets the bottom of the draws. I've seen many mature bucks do this, but it's very hard to hunt down there due to swirling winds.

Thanks for the thoughts and the reply.

If I didn't make my self clear to others, I am trying to figure out how cruising bucks will relate to the terrain where the blue and yellow shading meets. Using the south facing point that turns into a N-S running ridge that starts / stops in that ravine bottom or crossing the ravine further East and traversing the crowsfoot.

We have prevailing Westerly winds. Generally a NW or SW wind.

Instagram.com/buckeye_archer
Razorhead

Unread postby Razorhead » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:49 am

I would hunt the leeward side of the saddle right near the 3 in "34" on the topo map. Bucks love to run the tops when scent checking for does and the wind is much more predictable on the tops. They also like to travel those existing trails and roads. The existing equestrian trail is a perfect set up. I would look to set up between the existing trail and the thermal tunnel but would definitely be in a position for an open shot to the trail on top.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my sole.
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:45 pm

I agree with razorback on the 34 stand. With a north wind you can get high in the tree and blow your scent over the valley. With a north west wind I would go close to the head of the draw that comes up near where the red and purple lines meet.

BACKSTRAPALIEN

Unread postby BACKSTRAPALIEN » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:45 pm

If I understand your question correctly, I would expect a N/S traveling buck to run the leeward side of the N/S ridge with the equestrian trail and orange line overlapping. More so than I would expect them to go up n down the crows foot to the east. I like the "3" too. You could sit that on any wind and just cheat leeward accordingly.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”