Hard to find the drive to get out...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

sam

Hard to find the drive to get out...

Unread postby sam » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:17 pm

My grandfather just past away a few days ago. He was like my dad to me. He got me into hunting and the outdoors. I'm sure in time I will get that fire to go back out. Just hard to be motivated right now. Any of you guys have any tips for dealing with loosing someone who means that much to you as father and as someone who my outdoor life has revolved around?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

mauser06
500 Club

Re: Hard to find the drive to get out...

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:19 pm

sorry to hear of your loss.

do what you feel is right. i know with big life events for me, the woods is where i feel at home...its where I head...
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:42 pm

I bet if you just get out there you'll be happy you did. There's lots of time to think when your hunting. Remember the good times.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:55 pm

I've wondered what my drive to hunt will be like when my father passes. Easier said than done but I will hunt in his honor because that's a passion him and I share.

I hope you find your way into the woods and it eases your mind. Positive thoughts.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:01 pm

When I lost my dad and my grandfather in a short period it was extremely tough but getting back out hunting/fishing again was the best therapy. We were very close doing those things together so it was really hard at first but now I feel a comfort that can only be explained as I feel their presence with me at all times and the memories are always there. They still live on thru me and things they taught guide my life every day.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:50 pm

Very sorry to hear of your loss!

I agree with the others that finding a way to get a little "outdoor therapy" could only help. I'm betting your Grandpa would rather you go out, hunt, and find peace in the outdoors rather than see you sit at home. If it were me I wouldn't even take the hunt all that seriously... I would just go out there to remember all the good times, and try to clear my mind.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:34 pm

Sorry for your loss. It takes time and being outdoors helps sometimes. Just do what you need to do to get through it.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:34 am

Sorry to hear that.

Deal with it in your way. When stuff happens I typically go fishing for several days and fish sunup to sundown - clears the noggin.

Remember him and honor him.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:39 am

Sorry to hear. I know when I go someday , A strong wish of mine is that my son will continue to hunt, fish and enjoy the outdoors then pass the knowledge and stories on to his kids. It may take a little time but I bet your pap would be proud if you carried that torch.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:44 am

Hi Sam, I'm sure your Dad is in a better place now. One thing you might do is try to focus on being grateful that you did have him. Too many kids don't have a father or grandfather to spend time with them. Sorry for your loss...

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:46 am

mheichelbech wrote:Hi Sam, I'm sure your Dad is in a better place now. One thing you might do is try to focus on being grateful that you did have him. Too many kids don't have a father or grandfather to spend time with them. Sorry for your loss...

I agree.

Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:46 am

I'm sorry for your loss.

I would imagine your grandfather must have had a love for the outdoors, enough that he wanted to instill that love in you to. I don't think your grandfather would want you to stay home and be sad. He would want you to get out there and do what makes you happy and made him happy. I think he would want that.

It's hard loosing a loved one, but sometimes the best medicine is to keep going and not dwell on it. I hope I don't sound like a big jerk.

Joe™
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:49 am

Also sorry for your loss.

Agree with the others. I think when you get out there you'll find its thee best therapy. May bring some emotions out, but that's good too. For me loss like that also makes we want to get out and do the things I love and spend time with the people I love to really embrace every moment you have.

Good luck.
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:58 am

Well sometimes you need to step back and realign your priorities. Family or hunting.

I took all of last year off (no hunting and very little scouting) to help someone else. They needed it more than me hunting.

Now I am back in the game, the excitement and the enjoyment of being out in the woods is back.

So take some time off of hunting it will be there next year.
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:17 am

Sorry for your loss, find a young buck to be his mentor. It would seem like that would fire you back up. Our lives are a cycle man. Start bringing it back around.

Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”