opening morning of gun season...maps

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

opening morning of gun season...maps

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:26 pm

anyone wanna take a look at these maps??

im planning an out of state gun hunt...ive lived there for 2 summers but never actually scouted it for deer...

lots of big high steep hill county and very mature hardwoods in the general area...thats where im guessing 90% of the hunters will be...

theres a lot of swamp in the area...but its weird swamp...i cant get much to show on the aerials and not having good winter or fall images doesnt help...the swamps are thick cedar...some areas have thick tall grass..some is like a jungle...

ive been looking and looking and ive been drawn to this particular area to start the opening morning...

i will have a little scouting time...if i kill a PA buck early i may have a good bit of scouting time..but its going to be days right upto the season...

in all honesty id be happy with a decent buck...we'd all like to kill a biggun...but im a realist..im going out of state to hunt a place ive never hunted...so im looking at more of a good funnel setup to see a good bit of deer...

after the opening day depending on what happens, pressure in proceeding days etc i will likely do some still hunting and if theres snow tracking...

i marked my access and potential stand sight...sight unseen...seems like a good funnel...several transitions..2 lakes..lots of swamp edge around the lakes..the ridge is STEEP and im suspecting it'll look like a punkin patch with hunters on it..wind is typically NW..

(pics coming photobucket isnt working on the PC i will get them from the phone in a minute)

mauser06
500 Club

Re: opening morning of gun season...maps

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:32 pm

Summer pics of one of the swamp areas...small swamp to the west of Narada lake with the 2 ponds).

I'm open to any thoughts and ideas...this place is just foreign to me...but my girlfriend is from the area and if I can make it worthwhile I can make this an annual hunting trip..

I appreciate any help!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:45 pm

Lots of topo lines there! Looks like a good spot, one tip, lakes are very easy to find on the ole computer systems... Not sure how many people hunt your area, but be careful on posting anything with names, might find yourself surrounded by guys who lurk the sites.

Personally speaking though, I do like that point going into the northern lake, might be worth a look.
-Rick
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:48 am

I'd echo th last post. You have A LOT of information about that spot in your maps (lakes, roads, and worst of all actual coordinates in GE).

For each of the registered members here glad to help who wouldn't even be interested in poaching a spot, I'd presume there are 10 unregistered folks fishing for info.

Just something to conisder.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:08 am

Good eyes....working on scrambling my photo bucket since I can't edit the posts...

I didn't see the GPS coordinates...lakes and roads are pretty generic...I thought I had the GPS coordinates off the screen.....

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:12 am

I'm still learnin' so probably not much help anyways, but didn't want too much detail to get spit out if you wanted to adjust the maps at all.
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:14 am

It wasn't too difficult finding the bottom lake. Just something to consider on other maps.

When I post maps I black out everything that isn't relevant to hunting, any names at all.

Just trying to help out in that aspect my man!

But again... That point on the lake, check at the transitions 8-)
-Rick

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”