Somewhat bothersome

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckshot20
500 Club

Re: Somewhat bothersome

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:48 am

john1984 wrote:
whitetailassasin wrote:
john1984 wrote:
Rich M wrote:
john1984 wrote:
I bet most of the guys that kill mature bucks make more money than the guys who kill young bucks. So is it all just because of your skill??? Or is it your addiction combined with your high income that helps you be successful? ?

Just thoughts guys. I'm not jealous. I'm happy for anyone that kills a deer legally. I just like being outside. Its hard enough for me to kill any deer, let alone a mature buck.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Money and job does not have anything to do with hunting skills. Time, desire, and location do - if you can't get out and scout then you can't find the deer.

Sure, the guys with money can hunt expensive hunts with outfitters or buy into well managed hunting leases. That doesn't make them better hunters. Watch the hunting videos and you'll start to see the same places in diff videos, you see the deer feeding on something under the leaves and then the TV personality talks about all the scouting and hard work - yeah, bags of corn are heavy. I just recently watched a TV hunter's wife shoot a nice buck off a baited area (there were 2 bucks and 3 or 4 does that wouldn't leave a 30 ftx 30 ft area alone - one buck tried to run the does off multiple times) and the TV folks put on the mustard about scouting and timing, etc. BLEH.

The guys on here who travel to new areas and get decent bucks in a 3 or 4 day hunt on public land they've never ever been on before are amazing and show it can be done. They don't necessarily spend a lot. They plan their vacation and just plain get it done. Not about money.

I guess I'll have to disagree with you on this. Lone wolf tree stands cost a lot of $$$. Gasoline cost money. The more you burn the more you spend. Trail cameras cost money. Out of state tags cost money. I know there are many variables. I'm not just talking about outfitters. The more places you visit to scout and hunt, the more money you spend on gas and other travel expenses. If through out the year your driving all over your state and driving to other states scouting and hunting your spending a lot of money on travel expenses. Some guys can't afford to buy expensive trail cams or afford to travel all over there own state scouting throughout the year and placing trail cams in multiple regions. Some hunters might neglect other important things in life in order to feed their addiction for antlers. Some hunters should and do hunt areas that are VERY local and close to their homes, instead of seeking out more target rich environments. Some hunters choose to travel to more target rich environments even though they have a trail cam pic of a big buck that's a lot closer to their home. I think it's just hard to measure skill. Put a couple hunters on a big piece of public that they never been too and see who kills a big buck first. And even then luck could play a role.

As far as TV goes, I remember watching a Mossy Oak video from the late 90's, the big name guy was hunting in southern Iowa with a shotgun and killed a 1.5 year old buck. He was happy, and really admired that young buck. Ya just don't see that anymore these days. Except for Ted Nugent, He kills young bucks all the time even though he is rich and hunts premium private and outfitters. I like that guy.

So because a guy spends money on gas to scout areas for better quality animals it makes his skill less? Or the hard work he put in less? Many guys on here and all over don't use game cameras to kill big bucks? Or what about the guy who lives far away from public hunting ground? He's paying the money regardless. It sure isn't about money, its about deciding on what you want out of your hunting. Guys who want to shoot mature bucks, sometimes have to travel to areas that are holding them. Instead of waste there time and money hunting lands that don't have the kind of deer they pursue. The guys that don't put in there scouting time, regardless of where they hunt or how much money they spend hunting, tend to be the same guys complaining they aren't seeing the quality of deer they would like to. Sometimes to reach your expectations and goals you need to broaden your horizons. Stanley used to say all the time, instead of sit around and complain about your lack of big bucks, go where they are, and you can never tag a mature buck if your tagging younger ones. Every hunter has their own standards, I think the point is to respect each hunters standard and what they want to kill. I don't think that diminishes a guys skill level either, plenty of guys are rich, poor, middle class and kill giants year in and year out. As far as TV goes, they are in it to make money, and big bucks generate well big bucks. But for the everyday guy, money doesn't provide him skill, it doesn't improve his ability to scout, what it does is allow him more time and freedom to do those aspects and it also allows him to travel to an area that may hold better caliber deer he is after. But lets not forget that hunter isn't competing against you or I, he's fulfilling his own personal goals. I can't be allow myself to think he doesn't have skill if he isn't only getting it done on lands closet to him. RR7 goes out of state and flat out gets it done, one of the most humble guys you'll ever talk to, but that dude get's it done, and has the skill to go anywhere. Hunting isn't a competition between men, its a competition against man and animal. Circumstances aren't always what they seem. Most of the guys you have heard about and become famous, have because of hard work and they made there bones hunting public ground, and somewhere along the way met the right people, or gained notoriety because of their success.

Mark Drury know his whitetails
Dan Infalt knows his whitetails
Andre D knows his whitetails
Myles K, John E, JoeRE, Spysar, Bucky, Magic, the list can go on. But to my knowledge anyone of those fellas would be the first to say congrats on whatever deer you shoot.

I can see to a point what your saying, but from the other side of the coin, I have to disagree with you.

I ment I only disagreed with this statement from beast member Rich M., "Money and job does not have anything to do with hunting skills.".

I feel having a lot of money to spend on hunting related travel expenses, trail cams and other good quality equipment can help a guy create skill or help him make his existing skill stronger.

I understand a lot of people don't have much land to hunt close to home.

Sorry I don't mean to single individuals out, sometimes I treat the hunting beast as one being instead of thousands of individual human beings.

I respect you guys for gettin it done. You work hard. I'm not a jealous guy when it comes to other hunters killing mature bucks and not me , well I might get jealous alittle I guess, but not in any kind of evil way. I really got nothing be too jealous about. I live in a good area and it's my own fault if I don't kill mature bucks.

Skill is skill and it shines through regardless of circumstances, however, having a few dollars to throw around certainly helps. For instance I can pay $5,000, hunt a highly managed property with an outfitter and I've got a really great shot at a trophy. I can pay $10,000 and hunt chipper Jones ranch in Texas and have a great opportunity to fill a trophy room. On a smaller scale I can also, with the help of money, gain access to better properties through leases. The average lease price around my house is $1,800. This is to shoot Florida size deer. Maybe 100". Maybe? I know that I have a better shot at killing a Pope and young class deer in my one week in the Midwest than I do in my home county. In my home county there might be one every year that makes that mark. And that's with any weapon. What impresses me is people who get it done regardless of circumstances, year after year.

Back to the original topic. Shoot what makes you happy and who cares after that.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”