Not seeing anything!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Not seeing anything!

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:51 am

Quick background...I hunt 4-5 different locations. One of those I was seeing deer the last 2 years on a regular basis. And was able to whack a few does and seen some decent bucks. Now, I hunt there this year and I haven't SEEN NOTHING! Maybe a doe or two time to time, but that's it! The other places, I've put up cameras, got a few photos, and still can't find a single hair of a deer...period! I haven't seen the deer in all these places like I have in the past. I'm not sure what to do.
I haven't laid one down yet. But, I will say I have passed up several in the early part of the season when it was WAAAAY to warm out. Anyways, I need some suggestions on a approach. Money is tight, so I have to pick and choose my days wisely, but with the season closing in with no meat in the freezer and no horns in my hand...I'm getting frustrated. :evil:

Zap

Re: Not seeing anything!

Unread postby Zap » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:55 am

It's been a wierd season for me also......
Good luck with it.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:32 am

This may sound like a no brainer, but food source is the biggest key to finding the deer ;)
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:09 am

Most people will give you advice on hunting late season but my best advice is to lay one down for meat early season. Where I hunt the deer numbers are low so I take out a doe the first chance I get when I am not hunting a buck bedding area. I probably could wait until late season to take a doe but that has burned me in the past. I really don't worry about temps, I can usually have a deer gutted, washed out, skun, quartered and into a cooler/ice/fridge in about two hours. It might take another hour or two to completely cut up and package everything into a freezer if needed.

I also have a lot less time to hunt the late season so this just works out best for me, good luck.
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:52 am

Im with Head gear, smash em early and often in the early season. Late season, with no cover educated deer, and deer yarding up (lots of eyes) make it hard in the winter with out use of some sort of bait. Seems to be a real hit or miss this time of year. The heat also never stops me from shooting them early, like he said you should be ready to take care of things quick if your gonna hunt. Good luck and look for the food sources if you can find them, or the thermal cover for thier beds.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
BowtechHunting
500 Club

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:44 pm

I've been hitting bedding areas, travel routes, food sources...I've tried nearly everything I could think of...I even quit hunting locations for a week or more. Crazy season. I think I'm actually trying to hard.
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:50 pm

If it was me and I had a spot where I wasn't seeing any deer, I sure wouldn't worry about shooting one there. Why kill one of the few deer that are left there? I'd go to a spot where there are more deer and try there. I understand you might need the meat, but I've seen to many spots here in Wisconsin where way to many tags and way to many trigger happy killers thinned the herd down and it tough huntin' out there now. JMO. Good luck ;)
BowtechHunting
500 Club

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:02 am

hunt n nut wrote:If it was me and I had a spot where I wasn't seeing any deer, I sure wouldn't worry about shooting one there. Why kill one of the few deer that are left there? I'd go to a spot where there are more deer and try there. I understand you might need the meat, but I've seen to many spots here in Wisconsin where way to many tags and way to many trigger happy killers thinned the herd down and it tough huntin' out there now. JMO. Good luck ;)

hmmm...never really thought of that, but you got a point.
BowtechHunting
500 Club

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:14 am

Here is a pic of a buck on 40 acres and 80 percent of it is field, the rest is a small 10acre wood lot with a long funnel. He came into this block where I hang my stand and obviously my trail cam. Not monster, but a way cool looking dude. He maybe just passing through. Not bad for 40 acres. I hunted him about 3-4 times, immediately the next day after the pic with no dice. Notice the 11:41am time as well. I was afraid to overhunt him...which doesn't really make sense. I sure as Heck ain't gonna see him sittin' on my kester. Just waitin for the right wind. Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:32 am

Man, they are hitting the cut overs HARD right now...I've also seen them in the acorns too...many of the trees are still loaded and dropping right now where you hunt!!! If you don't believe it, just look up and you will see'em!!! ;)
BowtechHunting
500 Club

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:58 am

I believe ya Ninja!! I still can't seem to get on anything right now. I've been huntin' hard 3-4 times per week, mostly midday though, which probably a good reason. I still got time, I think I'm going to do a all day sit next week in your neck of the woods.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:47 pm

I had one of those seasons due to 42" of snowfall in 24 hrs.... what got me back on to deer was giving up on my good ideas and trying the ones I though would never work.
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
BowtechHunting
500 Club

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:31 am

I'm still at it and with no luck. I went all day yesterday with no luck, but managed to get a crack at a coyote at 10 yds. and missed! I hit a limb, lost the arrow :(. But, I did find some good spots with alot of sign (which doesn't mean much to me anymore). Last Thursday i went to a new location, and had a decent 7pt and a spike. The wind was whippin' (20mph) and I seen both of these guys in 2 seperate times. Once at 9:15 and again at 11:30. I was hunting a food source; manily honey suckle, greens, foliage. I got winded both time, but the second time they were gone for good. The wind changed directions 2-3 times. Which made a good point - bad wind and I still seen deer. Then raised a question - Why are they in this spot? Food? Cover? or in thier bedroom? I don't know, but I plan on going back once more before the season. If the lil' 7 steps out he's goin' to have a Muzzy in him.
BowtechHunting
500 Club

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:49 pm

This is it Dan. I have this morning, which I'm about to walk out the door, and all day on Monday. I feel pretty confident. I'm going to a new spot today, where I have never seen deer before. Because I've never been there, and it's a bedding area if I looked at the maps correctly and the sign. I'll be posting some pics today!
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:15 am

BowtechHunting wrote:This is it Dan. I have this morning, which I'm about to walk out the door, and all day on Monday. I feel pretty confident. I'm going to a new spot today, where I have never seen deer before. Because I've never been there, and it's a bedding area if I looked at the maps correctly and the sign. I'll be posting some pics today!

Good luck Man!!! I'm going over to Uncle Lee's to pick up a trail cam today......If you need some help getting that big boy out just give me a call.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”