doe bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

daveynewman
500 Club

doe bedding

Unread postby daveynewman » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:54 am

I found a spot on a map cyber scouting and I hunted it a few days ago and at the top of the saddle I found what I believe to be doe bedding.

It was hard to tell because there was also acorn trees all in the same area so the leaves and ground were all destroyed.

I hunted the red dot and that was my trail to it. I did not see a deer that night. but felt the spot was promising.

the blue dot I noticed is a funnel or a pinch for anything running the top of the hill.

I guess my question is where would you more experienced guys approach and hunt this if it was the rut ?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by daveynewman on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tbunao
500 Club

Re: doe bedding

Unread postby tbunao » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:59 am

Looks to me like you nailed it! On a good solid wind and sunny day to really get the thermals going I'd say the leeward side right in the same vicinity

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:03 pm

I'm confused a bit on my approach. I only walked the top side of the saddle as a scout but when I plan to hunt it during the rut would you walk the middle of the saddle or walk around the saddle ?

tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:16 pm

Imo I would walk the steep hillside towards the area. If you have to crops the top then the furthest away that you can. Look good btw.

Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:36 pm

tbunao wrote:Imo I would walk the steep hillside towards the area. If you have to crops the top then the furthest away that you can. Look good btw.

Tbunao, just out of curiosity... would you walk the steep hillside because that's how you expect to blow the fewest deer out on the way in, or is there some other thinking to that?
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:43 pm

Ognennyy wrote:
tbunao wrote:Imo I would walk the steep hillside towards the area. If you have to crops the top then the furthest away that you can. Look good btw.

Tbunao, just out of curiosity... would you walk the steep hillside because that's how you expect to blow the fewest deer out on the way in, or is there some other thinking to that?

If I have a feeling they are running the tops then I won't want to cross any of their trails. To me access is a big part of it. By staying on the hill side then popping up on the side with the wind in your face you'd avoid any intrusion. Being that this is a NY spot I would really look for a sw-w during the rut and come up the eastern side of the hill. While climbing up I would start to look for a trail along the 1/3 line. It would be all gut feeling from then. Maybe you could set up just above the 1/3 line and still watch the top. The way the topo looks it almost appears that they may be forced to move a little higher on the leeward side by the funnel. Northern wind I would go in where the 1900 line meets the road.

If it is bedding there at the red dot then obviously you wouldn't want to go below it do to thermals and access the opposite side. I'm sure Davey will know better on what's there and make the right decision. Just imo, I do like to hike a lot :lol:

daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:57 am

that actually would be a good idea to come.from the bottom instead of walking through the saddle or around it

tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:00 am

I really like the looks of the area from the topo btw. Good luck here I hope the day you choose to hunt it is action packed

daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:13 am

tbunao wrote:I really like the looks of the area from the topo btw. Good luck here I hope the day you choose to hunt it is action packed

same here there's a field at the bottom by the road that I know always ha's does in it never spotted it after dark to check for bucks I figured it was a great rut spot if it all pans out

thanks man

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:51 am

I would come in on the creek just below 1809 mark & slip up the draw just to the right of your blue dot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”