GPS Help

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mihunter101

Re: GPS Help

Unread postby mihunter101 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:13 am

huntinsonovagun wrote:This may be a dumb question but I'll ask anyway. Is there a big advantage to using a real gps instead of my phone? Having aerials and topos right there in my hand has been huge to me, but since haven't seen the need to get a gps too.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Battery life and accuracy are the biggest advantages. My last two phones have had accuracy issues under a heavy canopy. It's easier to transfer waypoints to the computer as well.

Let's go Brandon!
GoetzC

Unread postby GoetzC » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:19 am

Having just went through the process of researching GPS units within the same budget I'll share my findings.

I attempted to use my iPhone as a GPS in the past and it worked ok for marking waypoints, looking at maps but was better at distracting me with emails/texts.
I decided I wanted a dedicated GPS so I can keep my phone put away until needed and not be distracted from my time in the woods.

I tested/tried various options at REI, Gander Mountain, etc... and read/researched a ton online. I determined I really preferred the models with buttons over the touch screens even with their bigger/better screens.

I ultimately decided on the Garmin 64st and am very happy with it. I found bowhunter15's videos showing how he uses his 62s and it helped a ton. Ironically while watching one of his videos I realized he hunts some of the exact same land I intend to... small world!
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:45 am

GoetzC wrote:Having just went through the process of researching GPS units within the same budget I'll share my findings.

I attempted to use my iPhone as a GPS in the past and it worked ok for marking waypoints, looking at maps but was better at distracting me with emails/texts.
I decided I wanted a dedicated GPS so I can keep my phone put away until needed and not be distracted from my time in the woods.

I tested/tried various options at REI, Gander Mountain, etc... and read/researched a ton online. I determined I really preferred the models with buttons over the touch screens even with their bigger/better screens.

I ultimately decided on the Garmin 64st and am very happy with it. I found bowhunter15's videos showing how he uses his 62s and it helped a ton. Ironically while watching one of his videos I realized he hunts some of the exact same land I intend to... small world!

Thanks ya I saw that video too

Earn what’s never given.
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:59 am

After much deliberation I decided to go with a montana 610 i liked the massive screen. I'm not much for wearing gloves and if i do the thumbs and right index finger are cut off. Th 64 series seemed really nice just didnt like where the buttons were located.

Earn what’s never given.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”