New scrape and rub line - what would take from this?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

New scrape and rub line - what would take from this?

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:25 am

Had a buck (or bucks) open up a scrape line, this week. A couple near car hood size. Pretty sure Thursday morning they were sparring. Historically the bucks have bedded on the other side of the property a couple hundred yards away but the scrape and rub line is surrounded by doe bedding.

What Intel would you take from this? I put a cam over the biggest scrape.

Also...:does anyone have theories on why scrape and rub lines Peter out?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Wlog
500 Club

Re: New scrape and rub line - what would take from this?

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:02 pm

I think they Peter out because of ground scent left by the hunters who find them. The buck adjusts his travel route after he comes back and smelled you were there. Doesn't happen all the time that way but I think that is the main reason.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:08 pm

Pressure can cause them to Peter but so can the first does coming into heat. Scraping in my area comes to a halt second week of November on good private. I think if you have good competition between bucks because of good buck to doe ratios they'll Scrape to the end of the rut into the post season

tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:50 am

a scrape like your describing isn't a one and done scrape, sounds like a community scrape, if you plan on hunting it you better do it while its hot. "surrounded by doe bedding". I wouldn't worry about the cam on it, id hunt the area before you stink it all up. most scrapes aren't worth hunting imo but what you are describing sound like one worth giving a sit. I rarely see scrapes that size and when I do they are getting hit by every buck in that area. I used to have more spots than I could hunt so I would hang cams on scrapes in areas I wasn't sure I wanted to hunt. and those big scrapes would get huge amounts of traffic.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”