rattling

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaleTammy
Facebook: jorgensen912@sbcglobal.net

rattling

Unread postby DaleTammy » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:54 am

i hunt southern wis farmland scrapes showing up everywhere when do people start rattling if so whats best for late oct early nov loud aggressive or just light tickling never done much before looking for every ones input .hanks for any all info.

matt1336
500 Club

Re: rattling

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:09 am

If your property isn't too pressured- now is a good time. I like to bang them. More
B/c the sound will reach more ears. If you can get the right buck in the right mood -
You'll have something going for you.
I was scouting today and saw a bunch of scrapes opened up. No big tracks in them tho

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:23 am

I've never had much luck rattling in Michigan. I almost never try these days ,more stuff to carry. Works best in areas with good buck to doe ratios and low pressure.

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:41 am

Since learning about beast style, and trying to make it work, I don't rattle anymore. When I did, it wasn't too effective. It was just more stuff I brought with me that wasn't needed.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:01 am

Halloween is when it starts to work.Post rut, best time by far i think. It does work if you can find the right Buck. Oct30 last year is when I rattled in my target Buck then screwed the shot up somehow. 179inch 9 pointer 5yr old. My buddie has him on his wall now lol.

crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:47 am

I always have antlers with me amd will use them at any time.

What else can you do when a shooter is 100+ yards away and going the wrong direction?
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:34 am

Last week of October and the month of November I rattle but more when I see the deer, or when I'm on all day sits. I don't smash them like you see on tv though! Just tickle them in pressured areas

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:51 am

I am no expert but in my experience, where I am I may start right now. I have taken two deer from the farm i am hunting, and the other morning I went in, and I saw two does at about 25 or 30 yards (couldnt shoot. me being the dumby I am in the excitement of killing my second deer, I went to the bait shop to fill out my card and get another doe tag for the next morning, and I left to drop her off to the butcher in a hurry and I forgot to get a new doe tag.) After the two does walked by at about 7:15 AM I heard some loud clashing and some scuffling. I thought someone was putting up a stand for muzzle loader. Then I heard it again a little further away. Then I heard a few grunts.

So in my area they seem to be getting aggressive. Its getting to be about that time though. One more doe in the freezer and I will be waiting on my last RI buck...Not to mention I have not filled a single one of my 4 CT tags. lol.
megwan

Unread postby megwan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:55 am

I use to rattle quite often starting around Halloween or so. The problem with rattling is they can pinpoint your location very easily, and usually will circle downwind to check things out before coming into range. One thing I found that can work is picking a spot that restricts them from getting to far downwind i.e. field, lake r.r.tracks, etc. Sometimes really thick cover can make them search for the source, just don't over do it or they will pinpoint you, and usually come in extremely quiet, cautious, and you could rattle with them right on you and not know. Good luck!

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:31 pm

I rattled a bit saturday morning. I was sitting the edge of buck bedding near fresh scrapes in pretty remote area. Fairly low pressure public. Figured it couldnt hurt. Nothing happened.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:47 pm

Rattling is like anything else. It doesn't work most of the time, but when it does!!!! I like early season rattling better than during the rut.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”