The next phase

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mainebowhunter
500 Club

The next phase

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:44 am

Well...we made it through the the first 2 weeks of october. No deer were harmed where I hunt. One shooter almost got an arrow. Passed bunch of deer. Good 2 weeks. 2016 has been slower with buck sightings than 2015 was though. Heavy acorn years are tough.

Week #3 traditionally has been slow. Week #4 really can be stellar if your in the right area. Very excited about mature does and being between doe bedding areas with buck beds in areas. Really expect to see some bucks cruising between bedding areas. And expect to see bucks returning to beds little later in morning.

Anyone else excited bout the next phase?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

john1984

Re: The next phase

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:52 am

Yeah it looks like we are gonna get some cooler weather over here next week right on them good moon days

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:54 am

No excitement yet phase 2 is a longs ways off here. I'm rooting for you, bro stay after them. When are you heading oos?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:13 am

I am jacked. Heading to better areas and hopefully better weather.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:24 am

Yeah, you southern guys are definitely in a different hunting world thats for sure. Different rut times even in the same state depending on how south your are.

We have cool temps most of October. 31 degrees this morning. 50s all day. Today was the coldest day so far of the fall. Honestly, Maine I hunt because I love to hunt. And I live here. Other than that, I would not travel to hunt here. Lot of time invested to kill a 3.5yr old bow buck.

Thats the BEST Phase :D. [glow=red]KS is 11-5 to 11-19.[/glow] Home. Thanksgiving. First december, head for MD. Hope to make couple trips.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:31 am

PK_ wrote:I am jacked. Heading to better areas and hopefully better weather.

Still in Florida?
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:19 am

Yep didn't get has much hunting has I would of liked early. Was able to locate a couple good ones tho that are huntable. Bring on late October I'm off for 3 weeks

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:01 am

mainebowhunter wrote:

Still in Florida?

A little in FL...

But I will be crossing a lot of state lines in the next 5-6 weeks.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:16 am

PK_ wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:

Still in Florida?

A little in FL...

But I will be crossing a lot of state lines in the next 5-6 weeks.

Ya gotta love it.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:55 am

Been hunting hard so recharging for the next phase. Told the wife I'm taking the weekend off and doing whatever she wants the next few days and that made her very happy. Spent the day in pumpkin patches and apple orchards. Won't see her much in the next month so making the best of these days. She is very understanding about my hunting so it's the least I could do. Starting Friday I'm going on the road and have a 19 day in a row stretch of nothing but buck hunting. Can't wait since we are heading into the best part of the season. Each phase just gets better and better now. Enjoy the ride since it will be over before we know it.

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:18 pm

I've hunted quite a bit so far, with limited success. Hopefully things start getting better! Heading out to scout a new promising parcel of public tomorrow. Hopefully I find something good!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:51 pm

Guns start blazing this year on 10.29. Thats a phase I don't still around for.
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:37 am

I am always excited for the next time I can hunt :)

But this post got me thinking about a conversation that Dan and I had the other day while discussing hunts in early October.

I will paraphrase Dan the best I can :D. For both of us deer sitting and movement seem to slow down in early October. This year and years in the past we seen a spike in temperature. I checked back in my journals from last year and I think I saw two deer in 8 sits during early October.

Dan reminded me of some facts about early October though....

1) You can't shoot anything while sitting at home
2) Being in the woods and gathering intel isn't a bad thing, even if you are scouting or sitting in an observation stand
3) In early October food sources do change, and buck's patterns begin to change. But in key areas it becomes about asserting dominance and marking territory.

There is not a better time of the year to get boots on the ground and start scouting those transitions until you hit hot sign.

As a mobile hunter you have a huge advantage. You can go in with your stand on your back scouting, but if you come across hot sign plan on hunting it.

Sign during this time of the year is likely being made during daylight hours as bucks are asserting their dominance and marking territory.

Also it can make for an exciting hunt / adventure going into new areas to find fresh sign!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:28 am

mainebowhunter wrote:Well...we made it through the the first 2 weeks of october. No deer were harmed where I hunt.

Anyone else excited bout the next phase?

LMAO - Yeah NorthEast doesn't seem to be a destination to hunt unless you want Bear or Moose...
Or the allure of bigwoods Benoit style hunting...

For me I see from Oct 20th the dinks will start showing, Mommy kicking males out of the herd, food source changing and of course scent marking for the Doe's...
Lot's of eye candy on the ground and on tree's... The usual good stuff that gets our blood pumping and our minds walking!

I sure hope the Moon cooperates ;) :mrgreen: :lol:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:30 am

mt008 wrote:I am always excited for the next time I can hunt :)

But this post got me thinking about a conversation that Dan and I had the other day while discussing hunts in early October.

I will paraphrase Dan the best I can :D. For both of us deer sitting and movement seem to slow down in early October. This year and years in the past we seen a spike in temperature. I checked back in my journals from last year and I think I saw two deer in 8 sits during early October.

Dan reminded me of some facts about early October though....

1) You can't shoot anything while sitting at home
2) Being in the woods and gathering intel isn't a bad thing, even if you are scouting or sitting in an observation stand
3) In early October food sources do change, and buck's patterns begin to change. But in key areas it becomes about asserting dominance and marking territory.

There is not a better time of the year to get boots on the ground and start scouting those transitions until you hit hot sign.

As a mobile hunter you have a huge advantage. You can go in with your stand on your back scouting, but if you come across hot sign plan on hunting it.

Sign during this time of the year is likely being made during daylight hours as bucks are asserting their dominance and marking territory.

Also it can make for an exciting hunt / adventure going into new areas to find fresh sign!

Only time I am on the couch during hunting season is if I am SICK or I am spending time with my family.

I love the game. Its a game of odds. You scout hard. Hunt hard. The outcome is a bonus, no guarantees. Personally, I cannot look at it any other way. To do so, leads to pressure, burn out. Moving moving moving. It keeps it fresh. It keeps it fun. The potential is what drives me. I think it takes a while to get your head wrapped around that. Lots of guys really are very results oriented. Meaning, if Mario has not shot a buck yet, what gives? Big bucks, hunting with Dan. Should be a shoe in...and a month into the season, you should be tagged out. [glow=red]It just does not work that way.[/glow]

Crazy to watch the changes. October 1-10 ground scrapes were wide open. Big scrapes. oct 10 one of my target bucks broad daylight. Oct 10-now, ground scrape activity has dropped. I expect that to pick back up here shortly. Leaves have covered most of the scrapes. I will say this. All the ingredients are there for an awesome last week of October. Buck beds. Doe beds and deer traveling between both. Had a doe in a ground scrape last week pi$$ing on her hocks. Squatted right in a big scrape that opens every year.

Week #3 will be spent scouting / hunting a buck that I have not spent much time on this season. And youth season means Friday Saturday will be spent taking a trip with my son for his first ever youth hunt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”