The 3 P's of the Beast Hunters

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

briar
500 Club

The 3 P's of the Beast Hunters

Unread postby briar » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:48 am

Having been on this site quite while and spending a lot of time reading and learning, I am more than self aware that although I may have a good knowledge base of information, my application in my area downright stinks....so I just keep trying and doing my best to enjoy my season knowing I am not doing everything right. So as I sat in my stand on what I thought would be a great sit and never even caught a glimpse of a deer I did some thinking. After all of the reading it seems to me there are 3 P's that a lot of the beast hunters have in common.

Persistence: Every beast hunter I read about is an all year hunter. They may tag their buck on opening day or be hunting til the cold winter months and eat tag soup, but they are constantly in pursuit and never feel out of the game their hard work leads to at least opportunities at success

Patience: Beast are Patient. They are willing to spend large chunks of time in the stand, scouting, shining, searching or whatever else it takes to get a crack at a deer they are after. They work tirelessly at it and seem to enjoy it, which leads to the last P.

Passion: While Beast are known killers, they are also those hunters that enjoy every aspect of the hunt. They Love the whole process and it makes investing large amounts of time easy for them. They are passionate about hunting and not just driven to fill the tag.

It seems to me with some information and the 3 P's.....you can be a beast. If you are mission one of the pieces, your journey will be much harder or at the very least less enjoyable.

Jackson Marsh

Re: The 3 P's of the Beast Hunters

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:54 am

Truth.

You need all these traits if you want to be in the game. If a guy gets discouraged easily he will quit/not hunt when he should be hunting. If you don't love it, it is hard to keep grinding day after day.....you gotta love it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Atfulldraw
Facebook: 4011 W 4rd

Unread postby Atfulldraw » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:54 am

Make it the 4's ....Practice..Without the proper weapon skills the the other 3 p's really don't matter....all the persistance, patients and passion won't help you hit your target.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:58 am

Nice. Might consider another "P" = Pressure.... most beasts excel where others fail and that is in highly pressured hunting scenarios.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:18 am

Great post well said! You can't just want it, you have to be more determined to will it and make it happen. Very few are willing to put in that kind of effort and love doing it.
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:29 am

Preparation is right up there.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:45 am

Very true.
We are usually only answering to ourselves. So leaving a hunt empty handed does not happen. The knowledge and experience are not on the tag but pay us just the same.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:18 am

8-) :think: :think: :clap: :clap:
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:41 am

There are many components to being a consistent Big Buck Killer. You don't have to have all the elements and most don't. You have to have the majority of the elements and the ones that work best for you. Example a hunter with physical limitations must use different components than a young well fit hunter.

If using your back is your strong suit that is what you need to use. If your back is weak then using cerebral tactics may help you out the best. I don't like it that some think you must have a Lone wolf and sticks strapped to your back to be successful. We are all individuals, we have, need and use different tactics to be successful.

It's nice to try and emulate Dan or some of the other very successful hunters on the Beast. The truth is most of us, including myself will never be the quality hunters that some are. Everyone has different passions, energy levels, skill sets, hunting opportunities, physical attributes, and the list goes on. I think being yourself and doing the best you can do is what a real Beast hunter is about.

Face the facts we will never be the best, we just must do our best. Striving to do your best will result in being your best. There is always someone that is better. The key here is to learn from these guys. I learn so much by just sitting in the back, letting Dan and some of these great hunters drive the bus.

You may ask, how can I prepare myself to be the best I can be? Practice some of the small things that matter. Never just do anything to get it over with. Do the job so it is done as well as you can do it. :think: This is one thing I notice in some hunters. They get slipshod in doing some things, not giving it their best. Example; hanging stands just to get it up in a tree. Unrelated example; the wheels will never fall off your truck if you torque them to specs. How many times you heard of a wheel coming off? I have.

Shoot 5 quality arrows instead of, just shooting 50 arrows to get in a quota. There are so many things we can do better but don't, because being sloppy is easier for sure. Well enough on the lecture. I'm going to get back to cruising the Beast forums and learning. Great topic.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:46 am

Stanley wrote:There are many components to being a consistent Big Buck Killer. You don't have to have all the elements and most don't. You have to have the majority of the elements and the ones that work best for you. Example a hunter with physical limitations must use different components than a young well fit hunter.

If using your back is your strong suit that is what you need to use. If your back is weak then using cerebral tactics may help you out the best. I don't like it that some think you must have a Lone wolf and sticks strapped to your back to be successful. We are all individuals, we have, need and use different tactics to be successful.

It's nice to try and emulate Dan or some of the other very successful hunters on the Beast. The truth is most of us, including myself will never be the quality hunters that some are. Everyone has different passions, energy levels, skill sets, hunting opportunities, physical attributes, and the list goes on. I think being yourself and doing the best you can do is what a real Beast hunter is about.

Face the facts we will never be the best, we just must do our best. Striving to do your best will result in being your best. There is always someone that is better. The key here is to learn from these guys. I learn so much by just sitting in the back, letting Dan and some of these great hunters drive the bus.

You may ask, how can I prepare myself to be the best I can be? Practice some of the small things that matter. Never just do anything to get it over with. Do the job so it is done as well as you can do it. :think: This is one thing I notice in some hunters. They get slipshod in doing some things, not giving it their best. Example; hanging stands just to get it up in a tree. Unrelated example; the wheels will never fall off your truck if you torque them to specs. How many times you heard of a wheel coming off? I have.

Shoot 5 quality arrows instead of, just shooting 50 arrows to get in a quota. There are so many things we can do better but don't, because being sloppy is easier for sure. Well enough on the lecture. I'm going to get back to cruising the Beast forums and learning. Great topic.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :think:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:24 am

Good post briar.....I couldn't agree more. 8-)
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:28 am

Great post Stanley

Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:39 am

Great contributions guys!! Stanley that was a very profound post. It can be applied to nearly every aspect of life, not simply just the deer woods. Lots of wisdom there. A fella I knew used to say, we are all not capable of perfection but we are all capable of excellence......now that really sums up what you were saying!!

Keep it coming!!
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:02 am

Well said Stanley

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:07 am

Add a 4th - Pray for success; )

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”