corn bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Grasshopper

corn bedding

Unread postby Grasshopper » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:34 pm

I'm certain this has been discussed before, but basically I am wondering about deer bedding in corn. I live in central Pa. I have a lot of curiosity about it. I always assume that there are deer in the corn fields and try to prevent them from winding me. Does anybody have any corn bed experience. I don't know how to ask exactly what I wanted to the words aren't coming to me. I'll soak in whatever you throw my way.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

mauser06
500 Club

Re: corn bedding

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:02 pm

I don't know that a mature buck would bed in a corn field...I wouldn't.

They are noisy. The slightest breeze and you aren't hearing anything. You certainly aren't seeing anything.

Guess similar to a marsh though...bedding by scent alone..

Here I think they'd take the high ground or sight bedding over a corn field...

I'm curious to hear what others have experienced.

A buck laying in a corn field and a coyote or bobcat or bear come up from behind and he's lunch. Quiet easy walking for a predator..and the deer isn't smelling 360 degrees...if he can then that'd be a time he may bed there...

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:07 pm

I think bucks don't want to bed in corn but they will if they're pressured. They usually prefer to bed on a transition along the corn much like cattails. There's a couple of good threads on it. Maybe someone will link it

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:53 pm

Bucks and does will bed in corn if forced to but also seek out corn if there is a brushy swale or thick grass patch etc.

matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:01 pm

They do bed there but usually will use some type of terrain feature within the field that gives them an advantage. I've also seen buck use corn fields to sequester a hot doe from the competition

csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:37 am

I watched an episode of Bow hunt or die that had a guy from WI or maybe MN I think. He saw a buck coming out of a corn field on the first sit of the season. He sat where he saw him come out the next night and killed him coming out in the same spot. So yeah I think they do, and will.

Something to remember is that all bucks are different and do different things. You can think of things in genralities, but they are individuals. "Most" bucks like to see whats infront of them where they are bedding from what I've seen. The circumstance above proves that this is not always the case.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:59 am

Google Toad Smith Cornfield hunting.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:22 am

There is a reason why the deer kill drops considerably on years when the corn crop doesn't get harvested until later in the year. In marshes I see a pretty large increase of bucks shortly after corn is cut when they run out of cover.

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:26 am

It definitely happens where there is a lot of pressure. Had an an encounter with a B&C buck back in 2013 that came out of the corn into the woodlot I was hunting. Had I trusted my gut, I might have had a shot that night. It was October 16th if I remember right...
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:28 am

Why I posted about this I shined a target buck last night right after sundown close to a corn field. He wasn't too far from wood lots to have come from one, but if I set up for him bedding in the woods and he's in the corn it's not going to work out. I've been on stand for an all day sit and had neighbors cutting corn. There was definitely deer bedding in corn that day. In the corn there's a knoll like a buck would use for vantage. Also a 3 ft wide stream with brush on both sides that I have seen doe bed along that cuts through the corn field. I don't know if I should wait until the corn is down or setup next time the wind is good like he's bedding in the woods.

Babernathy

Unread postby Babernathy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:59 am

I don't have a really good answer for this one. What I'd do is talk to some local farmers and ask them if they ever jump deer out of corn during the harvest season.

matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:24 am

Hopper- hunt that grassy swale if you can. Sit a few rows back from it, get permission to cut a few
Lanes and they won't know what hit them. Corn field hunting is a great shift from tree stand hunting. It's a rush!

Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:52 pm

I talked to two local combine operators, and they both said it's common for mature bucks to be bedded in the corn. The one said he usually jumps them up close to the edge. He actually called me today to tell me about a big one he jumped today it was about six rows in. The other guy said that if he leaves his combine parked in the field over night that there is often deer bedded under it when he comes back.

ontario farmer
Facebook: Ontario

Unread postby ontario farmer » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:01 pm

I have seen deer come out of corn fields many times while combining. They definitely bed down there when there is hunting pressure.
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:32 pm

All my target bucks are in the corn right now. Its there favorite place to be.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”