You just shot the world record buck- Now what?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hauntedwaters

You just shot the world record buck- Now what?

Unread postby Hauntedwaters » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:04 am

I had a random thought today while in the shower- What if I shot the world record buck? What would I do?

After some thought- I don't think I would register it in the books. I read some of the scrutiny Rompola went through (justified or not is another question) and I wouldn't want that on me. I have a very unique last name so I would be worried that idiots would try and hunt my property or break into the cabin, etc.

I guess it would be similar to winning the lottery. Do you want to be a quasi-celebrity? A marked name? I assume the money that could be gotten from endorsements, t-shirts, selling the head, trademarking "World Record Deer" etc could be substantial and life changing but not sure its worth it.

Just a random thought and was curious what other Beasts would do.

kripp53

Re: You just shot the world record buck- Now what?

Unread postby kripp53 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:12 am

I have also thought about this and have two different views;

1. Don't register it, get a head mount and hang it up in the basement. Anonymity is king.

2. Get as much press as possible and try to sell it to the highest bidder. Take the earnings and put money down on a big farm somewhere or take that once in a lifetime hunt up in Canada.

Either way I will never have to worry about it :lol:
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:16 am

For me thats easy sell the rack get a replica made and get as many sponsors/endorsments as I could get my hands on take the money from that and invest it into real estate to try and grow the money so when I'm dead and gone my kids and grandkids can have a better lifestyle. A rack that could possibly pay for my daughters weddings or college is not worth keeping on my wall so sell it take the money and get as much ROI out of it as I could.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Earn what’s never given.
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:41 am

I have heard its value is mid to high six figures. Not sure that's true, but I would certainly be careful about what I did. For sure, it would have to be carefully thought out.
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:42 am

I have to tell you. I don't believe sport hunting is or should be about making money with the animals you take. I find it cheapens the sport. All you have to do is look at the wildlife crimes that are committed in order to take a buck with a big rack. I don't think Calelas buying trophy racks to put on display has done hunters any favors.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:43 am

I'd have to wake up!!!!!

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:55 am

Sell the buck, get a replica, go hide somewhere. I would try to stay anonymous but that might be impossible these days.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:03 am

woodswalker wrote:I have to tell you. I don't believe sport hunting is or should be about making money with the animals you take. I find it cheapens the sport. All you have to do is look at the wildlife crimes that are committed in order to take a buck with a big rack. I don't think Calelas buying trophy racks to put on display has done hunters any favors.

I couldn't agree more. This subject has been brought up before and I still feel the same way. If I kill the world record it's going on my wall and no amount of money will take it from me. To me money and hunting do not go together.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:05 am

Tag the buck call a friend for witnesser purposes. Then proceed as usual.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:27 am

Stan I wanna see the kill pic with your unsmiling face holding a 220 inch buck! :D

Honestly - I have no idea what I would do. I know what I SHOULD do - bury the thing 10 feet in the ground and not tell anyone. But unfortunately everyone has a price for which they can be bought. Including me.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:33 am

wolfie729 wrote:For me thats easy sell the rack get a replica made and get as many sponsors/endorsments as I could get my hands on take the money from that and invest it into real estate to try and grow the money so when I'm dead and gone my kids and grandkids can have a better lifestyle. A rack that could possibly pay for my daughters weddings or college is not worth keeping on my wall so sell it take the money and get as much ROI out of it as I could.

This for me too. Although I'd be very apprehensive about getting into "the industry", so the sponsorship stuff would be harder to do. I'd get what I could for the deer, assess other easy ways to make some money and move on.

I agree on the hunting and money thing, which honestly is what drives this decision for me in an odd way. I'd still have the memory of the hunt, and noone could take that. A true world record would be like winning the lottery, and I'd never throw away a jackpot winning ticket. As long as I used the money for the betterment of my family, and not just on something selfish or stupid, I'd feel pretty good about capitalizing to some extent.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:42 am

I would register it. An animal in that class deserves the recognition. I would try to humbly down play my part in it. Then donate it to the B&C Club with a stipulation that it should be taken to shows around the country. For as long as it was the record. So many others could see it's uniqueness and beauty!!!!

Any moneys made would be donated to wildlife conservation efforts!!!
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:52 am

Well I'd start to gut the deer out, then drag it back to my truck, then I'd hang it. Maybe my wife will get me to pose for a pic. Then I'd start to butcher the deer, cut the antlers off hang them out side for the birds to peck on. Then in about a month or two take the antlers down and throw them in a box with all my other antlers.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:26 am

stash59 wrote:I would register it. An animal in that class deserves the recognition. I would try to humbly down play my part in it. Then donate it to the B&C Club with a stipulation that it should be taken to shows around the country. For as long as it was the record. So many others could see it's uniqueness and beauty!!!!

Any moneys made would be donated to wildlife conservation efforts!!!

Now your talking. :clap:

But I would need the mount back after the tour. ;)

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:42 am

quite my day job :lol: that's a tough one, a lot of lottery winners face changes they never anticipated and often wind up broke, divorced, on medication, etc...... there is always a price----- always. I think the older I get the more I just want to be left alone out there to enjoy another day? But I do understand the draw/temptation that would obviously come from such a feat. probably better for me if it happens to someone else :think:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”