...running late cost me a buck.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

...running late cost me a buck.

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:04 am

Up at my buddies camp..I hunted this spot last Monday and got winded a ton due to low fog..it's a hot spot..oaks, bedding, thick but not craY thick...

Laid in bed struggling to get up..long work week..I got up in plenty of time..nature calls as I'm walking out the door and I gotta answer..

I drive around the block and have a 400yd or so walk..

I get close and it's gray light..I decide to go slow and sneak in opposed to rushing and getting setup before light...

4 sticks and stand hung.. tightening down the stand..

I hear something to the north and I spot a deer...

It is trotting hard straight for me...

Standing on my top stick and how on the ground...

Beautiful 10 point..he stops 8yds away...

I can't believe it..his spidey senses go off and he looks around and smells around...then slowly walks down toward the old logging road..stops down there and I lost sight and sound of him..

One of the biggest bjcks I've seen while hunting...wasn't a giant..but a solid buck..130-140 class I'd guess..

I settled in after a long wait..7 does/fawns came and finally left after being at 10yds for a half hour...

Fields to my north...I think that's where he was coming from..dont know why he was trotting lol...maybe he knew he was running late...

No idea where he is going to bed..ridge runs N-S. There isn't a point around the works for a SE wind...

Now another doe and fawn.

Don't know what to do. Think I might sit till 11 or so..sneak out and grab lunch and pack up and come back here for the evening..not sure of he'd come back through this evening or not..

After that probably stay away next week and try the week after..

This area is tough. Deer aren't pressured much at all till rifle season..not uncommon to see deer milling around all day...I've never found a good funnel or anything...

I don't know...hard to get a buck figured out here...only time a thermal tunnel would set up would be a west wind..but it's big woods hill country... should be easier to kill a buck because they don't have that advantage here...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

xpauliber
500 Club

Re: ...running late cost me a buck.

Unread postby xpauliber » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:15 am

Ahh, that's a bummer. If you have that much activity and you have the mental stamina, I personally would sit all day. I've seen great movement between 10-2 different times and if you're close enough to bedding, a buck might sneak in for a midday snack.

Another option may be to move towards where the 10-point was heading. He's obviously heading back to bed and you might be able to move in and catch him getting up in the evening. You'll have to make sure the wind doesn't bust you though.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:19 am

I've been there, made a move mid morning to catch some rut action, stand was set but bow was on the ground. Normally I would have a bow rope but I was only 7 feet up so I didn't bother. Saw doe and headed for my bow, before I could grab it deer were all around me and eventually busted me. To make a long story short, we had 15 minute stare down and the buck locked up at 35 yards. He stayed back in the brush and never gave me a shot from the ground. If I had 5 more minutes the does would have brought him by me at 20 yards. He would have been my biggest I think but I don't really regret a thing, would have been amazing to get an arrow in him but the encounter was one I will never forget.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:43 am

Stuff like that is frustrating and hurts for a minute....I'm already smiling knowing I had a buck that size that close..

Bedding..he had to head for the ridge edge or spoil piles.. between here and the truck is basically wide open..land owner has a series of trails mowed. I'm guessing he is paying on the ridge watching below and up toward me..

If I was prepared I could sit all day...but I got nothing with me..and fighting a cold and stomach big...I have easy exit and re-entry..it's quiet and a short walk...

Between here and the ridge I have nothing...this is the best cut off and first place I know he won't see or smell me..if I get any lower toward the ridge drop he has me wind..

Oak wise...this spot sound like it's THE spot..I don't hear other acorns falling...

Had he walked in normal I think id been able to pull it off...he was 50+yds when I spotted him...why he trotted right at me...I will never know..

Maybe my noise on the bark sounded like a buck rubbing? I don't know

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:03 am

Shake it off and stay ready.
You had him sighted before rut starts getting them unpredictable.
With a productive oak for a destination you are in the game. Good luck.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:17 am

Passed a 2.5yo at 23yds.....

For now.

He's above me milling around now....I couldn't get a great look at the rack with the sun glare...he comes down and I may smoke him...that's my average buck and is be happy with him...

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:47 am

I would be inclined to sit there tonight and if you get a clean sit and still have decent conditions, be there again tomorrow morning just a bit earlier of course ;) Then cross the spot off your list and go somewhere else.

That's what I see bucks doing in early-mid October....the same thing for just a few days, then something completely different. May not be back in that exact area for weeks.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:54 am

I had that twice on run-n-gun setups opening weekend, but with groups of does. Super frustrating. Although, I took it as affirmation that I was indeed right on my strategy and setup, just needed prep work to be able to do it in the dark.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:09 am

One other thing to consider, any option to move your set-up slightly if you think he pegged your tree? A 20-5- yard move could prevent him walking in looking for you in your tree. Just a thought. Good luck!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:44 am

You know, sometimes that little commotion we make in the dark draws in bucks. I have seen this on more than one occasion. So being late, maybe was the reason you saw the buck. :think: I think this happens more during the rut. But it can happen early season also.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:45 am

Thanx guys!

Stanley, I'm wondering if that's not why he trotted in like a bull...he really did...like he was looking for a fight...

Maybe a little rattling next time I'm up will do the trick of he thinks he's the boss...???

I snuck out and left the stand...

I am worried if he comes he's gunna skirt low...but with the wind there's no way I can get lower...

He wasn't real concerned. He slowly walked away pretty normal...then he had to hear the other deer eating acorns and feeding..maybe will reassure him that all is well...many went the same direction he did...

My access is good..didn't bump anything leaving that I know of..

We'll see what happens...I am likely heading home tonight...skip next week and maybe come back the week after...then hunt at home Halloween...then back up here for the rut off n on during my vacation...

So hard up here..it's just weird..can't peg anything down..

Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:48 am

mauser06 wrote:Thanx guys!

Stanley, I'm wondering if that's not why he trotted in like a bull...he really did...like he was looking for a fight...

Maybe a little rattling next time I'm up will do the trick of he thinks he's the boss...???

I snuck out and left the stand...

I am worried if he comes he's gunna skirt low...but with the wind there's no way I can get lower...

He wasn't real concerned. He slowly walked away pretty normal...then he had to hear the other deer eating acorns and feeding..maybe will reassure him that all is well...many went the same direction he did...

My access is good..didn't bump anything leaving that I know of..

We'll see what happens...I am likely heading home tonight...skip next week and maybe come back the week after...then hunt at home Halloween...then back up here for the rut off n on during my vacation...

So hard up here..it's just weird..can't peg anything down..

I think this is a distinct possibility.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:27 am

Good call on the commotion bringing him in. I've had that happen more than a few times setting up or taking down myself. A little light tickle on the horns may be a good bet this evening. Hoping to see a kill zone thread!
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:40 am

Slipped back into the same tree at 330. A little breezy but wind is still good...

Gunna have to nurse this likely sinus infection...wanted to doe hunt at home tomorrow morning...might skip tomorrow completely... we'll see how I feel..

Hopefully when I stick that slob from this morning here in a little while he runs towards the truck and does so I don't have so far to drag lol...

That's one thing I do take into consideration when I'm up here...the drag out...I have zero help in the area...I keep a deer sled in the truck..

Last time I killed a 2.5yo up here and thought it'd be easier to go down to camp opposed to out to the road...I was wrong. Lol.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:37 am

mauser06 wrote:Slipped back into the same tree at 330. A little breezy but wind is still good...

Gunna have to nurse this likely sinus infection...wanted to doe hunt at home tomorrow morning...might skip tomorrow completely... we'll see how I feel..

Hopefully when I stick that slob from this morning here in a little while he runs towards the truck and does so I don't have so far to drag lol...

That's one thing I do take into consideration when I'm up here...the drag out...I have zero help in the area...I keep a deer sled in the truck..

Last time I killed a 2.5yo up here and thought it'd be easier to go down to camp opposed to out to the road...I was wrong. Lol.

Get yourself a NeilMed Sinus Rinse kit. Sucks using it but you gotta keep the sinuses flushed out.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”