bucks relocating

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

magicman54494
500 Club

bucks relocating

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:18 pm

I've been watching a six point buck and his sister all summer. So far he has not relocated from his birth core area. I have heard they always relocate. I have never seem him separate from his sister eithor.
Thoughts? input?

A side note : he didn't come out of velvet until sept. 12th which I thought was rather late. Not that this has anything to do with relocating but thought I'd share that info.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: bucks relocating

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:11 am

most of the time when I noticed a buck relocates it was due to larger more mature bucks being present or something in the environment drastically changed (food source dried up, lack of water, clear cut, etc.)? we have such low buck densities I seldom see bucks relocate out of the general area they were born in - perhaps a new core area but their overall home range pretty much stays the same. In MT - they did yard and that was often in a totally separate area especially for mountain bucks.
Last edited by DaveT1963 on Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:22 am

I've noticed young bucks that stay with their sister as well. I always figure that their mom was shot the year prior and that's their survival instinct to stay together, plus the mom wasn't there to run the buck off during the rut.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:44 am

Is is possible this buck already relocated and that the doe is not his sister? I've most often seen young bucks hanging out together early season but occasionally I will see a young buck and doe pair up early season.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:41 am

thwack16 wrote:I've noticed young bucks that stay with their sister as well. I always figure that their mom was shot the year prior and that's their survival instinct to stay together, plus the mom wasn't there to run the buck off during the rut.

Mom is still alive. She has 2 fawns this year.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:48 am

headgear wrote:Is is possible this buck already relocated and that the doe is not his sister? I've most often seen young bucks hanging out together early season but occasionally I will see a young buck and doe pair up early season.

I'm sure they are sibs. They are deer we watch every day. They are last year's fawns from a doe that is almost tame. Matter of fact these two deer are quite used to us and so they hang around. They don't much care for my chocolate lab though. Lol.

cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:22 am

Wouldn't be surprised if he disappears in the next month. Different area or close by but away from the mother. JMHO
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:46 am

When mom or sister come into heat I'm guessing the buck will relocate.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:19 pm

The only place that I run a camera is in my back yard and been doing this for 5 years. I have 3 different doe families that come to feed around my bird feeders from April to late September to early October. Have never seen any of the 1 1/2 year old bucks every return the following year to feed in my yard. Usually the bucks quit coming in with the does mid August to mid September and I never have seen any return the following year. The button bucks will be with back and some will be spikes, usually 4l6 points . I"ve had one 8 point and one 9 point basket racks. So I think the relocations take place mostly in September here where I live. I have read an article that said the average move is around 10 miles and some as for as 25 miles. And the article also said 10 to 20 % of the 1 1/2 year old does also relocate. I think the article i read was on the QDM site.
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:53 pm

I would figure they would have to relocate bc of inbreeding. Maybe that's y u see some bucks leave there area during rut?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:24 pm

The 1 square mile you are from likely has interbreeding....
:)

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”