Closing time NWR's

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Closing time NWR's

Unread postby cbigbear » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:59 pm

The WI quartering thread made me think of this question. On the NWR I hunt regulations state you must be off the refuge 2hrs after sunset. This regs applies to all southern refuges I know of, & I checked a random WI NWR it states 1 hr after sunset. So the reality is there is no legal way to get a buck from deep off a refuge in the afternoon. How do you guys handle this?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Closing time NWR's

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:17 pm

Gut it then wrap your jacket around it to keep the coyotes off.Come back in the am. I've done this when I've had to leave a deer for a period of time.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:25 pm

Things like this I question how enforceable they are, I have hunting Camp Ripley in MN a couple of times. You have to be off the base 1 hour after last light, that is hard to do without a deer, if you shot one at last light its near impossible. If they have a number you can call I would just call and see what they say. Otherwise you'd have to try the coat trick, I've done it a few times in wolf country. Never had a problem but I have never left them overnight either, just to run and get some help.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:27 pm

Pretty simple actually. I call the Federal warden to let him know I have a deer down, give him my location and description of my vehicle and he then gives me permission to take as long as I need. He told me he appreciates the heads up because if he sees someone out there after one hour without discussing it with him they ARE getting a ticket. Obviously recovering a deer is priority especially in warm weather.

This only applies to retrieving deer. For normal hunting purposes there is no latitude given on this rule.

thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:28 pm

Just looked at the ones I hunt; 1.5 hours after sunset. I really don't feel that it's enforceable if you're tracking/dragging a deer. Can't imagine you getting a ticket for that.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:32 pm

For those guys hunting in Iowa, some public areas are like that. Some close 2 hours after sunset. In about all cases I agree with Dewey. A phone call should resolve the issue.
cbigbear

Unread postby cbigbear » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:52 pm

Not sure on the NWR I hunt, this is only my 2nd yr hunting it, so never ran into this issue before. However, I have some close friends that hunt a LA refuge & they have been denied request to retire game after hours. The warden instructed them to cover the kill with a jacket as suggested. Guess this works, but isn't a great option here right now with nightly temps around 65-70. I'm email the warden where I hunt in the morning.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:03 pm

cbigbear wrote:they have been denied request to retire game after hours.

Have to wonder, in a case like that could you make a citizens arrest on a CO for wanton waste if the temps are high. :lol:
I follows the laws as close as I can but some of this stuff is ridiculous.
cbigbear

Unread postby cbigbear » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:55 am

The refuge manager replied to my email - they only exception to being on the refuge is game retrieval. If possible he asked that I return to my truck & leave a note by the check in card stating I'm retrieving a deer. So seems no issues on this particular NWR as far as evening hunting.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:38 am

cbigbear wrote:The refuge manager replied to my email - they only exception to being on the refuge is game retrieval. If possible he asked that I return to my truck & leave a note by the check in card stating I'm retrieving a deer. So seems no issues on this particular NWR as far as evening hunting.

Glad you cleared that up. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”