Hunting on a full moon

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NBK438

Hunting on a full moon

Unread postby NBK438 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:21 am

A full moon is happening over my 5 days off and I was wondering if any of you have still had success bed hunting on a full moon or do you wait and let the phase move on? I've always noticed reduced movement and thought it was because of it being brighter out. If you have noticed a difference, on cloudy, full moon nights have you still seen the reduced movement? Thanks for your opinions in advance!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Re: Hunting on a full moon

Unread postby jwilkstn » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:13 pm

I don't prefer a full moon, but you gotta go when you can go. Hopefully you'll get good weather that helps daytime movement.

Not all those who wander are lost...
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:40 pm

from what i have heard a full moon makes for better mid day cruising during the rut rather than morning/evening movement.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:33 pm

I would tend to have to agree that I do notice less movement in mornings and evenings on a full moon. If I'm bed hunting and can get close enough say 150 yards or closer I'm going for it regardless of moon phase weather or any other conditions. Majority of the time that buck is gonna get up and move before dark, how far is the question. If you can't get fairly close then that's the spot you want to save for say a cold front coming in or possibly better moon phase. Personally to me no conditions matter if I'm actually able to get close to the bed but I start to look at other conditions if I need that buck to travel a decent ways in daylight. I'm talking evening hunting here. I don't hunt mornings this time of the year often.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:31 pm

I see distinctly less movement on early mornings after full moon nights. I see more movement mid-late morning for whatever reason, but mostly younger bucks/does. I have seen enough to not bother trying a morning bed hunt around the full moon, plus or minus 3 or 4 days.

Evenings before full moon nights I haven't made up my mind about. Have had some good hunts on those dates but movement does seem to happen right in the last minutes if at all.
NBK438

Unread postby NBK438 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:02 am

Thanks for the responses! I'm gonna hunt but push the envelope a little more.

Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:23 am

I used to be afraid to hunt the full moon. And after hunting with a fellow for a couple of years who does hunt the moon, found that I do indeed see deer.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:29 am

I have no scientific backing for this - just observation and I may be way off - but if I am don't tell me as its been working too long. To me the best time on days following a well lite full moon night is 0900-1100. My theory is that they feed and fill up quicker during a full moon (they can see and travel better and find browse easier) and return to beds well before daylight. Not sure why, perhaps predators are less active during a full moon ? Then, they will be up on their feet around 0900 as they get hungry/thirsty. This is the only "moon theory" that I personally follow anymore - just have seen a lot of mid-morning movement on full moons nights (where the moo is showing - if it is cloudy overcast it kind of makes that nill) My plan is always to get in quiet at first light and hunt until at least noon on these days. This is one of the few times where I don't get in early as I believe the majority of deer are bedded before daylight.
Rubline

Unread postby Rubline » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:38 am

I see good movement during a full moon phase which I believe is due to the rising and setting times of the Moon.
I agree with good midday movement as well during this phase. I have seen later movement in the mornings during
this phase and earlier movement before sundown. I am a believer in hunting full moon phases.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:00 am

Here's the thing with all these theories on when a deer will/will not move, what moon phase/position, barometer rising or falling, what timing of rut......... any one buck, for no reason at all. certainly not any reasoning we will often know, might get up and move at any time, on any day whenever an inclination hits them. It could be love, food, security, potty break, heat, bugs, hog invasion, or just boredom..... any # of a 1000 reasons - and no one is ever going to figure that one out with 100% certainty.

They can also be jumped by bird hunters, people leaving the woods, a predator, dogs, farm equipment, etc...... so my question is this: If you knew a 150 inch or better buck in the general area you are hunting was going to get up at 11:30 AM today would you hunt? I think most of us would have the same answer. Since we cannot control all those "inclinations" the simple fact is that being out there improves your odds. Now you ain't got to be silly about it, you still need to hunt smart - i.e. use the wind, sound approach, in right locations, - but the more time spent in a good quality set up the higher your odds that you will get your chance. True it might not happen 1 out of 50 times - but I guarantee you when it does happen it will wash away all those empty sits. Hunt smart, hunt efficiently-----BUT HUNT!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:11 am

The bucks I have seen mid-morning around the full moon were traveling. Sometimes they'd stop and feed (corn) but usually just crossing my shooting lanes or roads/trails I was walking down after the morning hunt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”