Sick and tired

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Country
500 Club

Sick and tired

Unread postby Country » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:48 am

Im sick and tired of finding sticks, stands, and screw ins on Wisconsin public land. If I have to go through the effort of carrying my stuff in and hanging every time I hunt, why shouldn't everyone else have to? I wouldn't want to kill a big buck knowing I cheated.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Re: Sick and tired

Unread postby woodswalker » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:56 am

It happens everywhere, I know it does in PA. The upside is screw in steps, nails or anything else that breaches the cambium layer of the tree on public land, or trees on private land without permission and anyone using the stand can be prosecuted even if they didn't put the stand there. In addition to prosecution the person can be assessed for damage to the tree and the fee to pay the forester who does the assessment. You may not think it is fair that anyone in the stand is liable but when caught, the common statement is "it is not my stand, I found it empty and am using it". With the way the law is written, that dog won't hunt.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:56 am

Take gps coordinates and send them to the DNR. I have never had a warden be other than happy to get that info. They feel the same way that we do about guys claiming areas on public land and not following the rules the rest of us do.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Skyler_2010
Facebook: I don't have a facebook

Unread postby Skyler_2010 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:58 am

Country wrote:Im sick and tired of finding sticks, stands, and screw ins on Wisconsin public land. If I have to go through the effort of carrying my stuff in and hanging every time I hunt, why shouldn't everyone else have to? I wouldn't want to kill a big buck knowing I cheated.

I see it in mn all the time too. At least you know you did it the honest way and that the people that leave it there have no pride in their hunt

"If your not helping hunting, your hurting hunting." Fred Bear.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:35 am

There are alot of people who don't play by the rules. Leaving gear in a tree. stealing gear left in a tree, Stealing trail camera's, Hacking the out of tree's with chainsaws, weed-wacking paths thru thick vegetation, leaving huge ruts with their trucks in muddy public areas closed to vehicles. I've encountered all of these actions at some point in time. That's just the way it is now a days. I'm down one trail camera from last year. Any stands I find, come down. Any trail camera's with no identification come down. I'm thru messing around. They all get turned in to the DNR!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
woodswalker
500 Club

Unread postby woodswalker » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:40 am

Don't forget leaving a trail of surveyors ribbon every 10 feet on tree branches to a stand because people are afraid they will get lost or not find the stand, along with cats eyes nailed into tree trunks for the same reason on public land. They all came down and left with me when I saw them. One time just for fun I removed some of the ribbons and retied them to make the marked trail go in a circle back to the parking lot.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:20 am

They are just holding their place.

Law on certain WMAs in FL says that we can put stand up 1 or 2 days before hunt and must remove it 1 or 2 days after hunt. After that it is trash in the woods. If the metal scrappers would figure out this source of free metal to scrap, we'd have a new craze.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:35 am

Rich M wrote:They are just holding their place.

Law on certain WMAs in FL says that we can put stand up 1 or 2 days before hunt and must remove it 1 or 2 days after hunt. After that it is trash in the woods. If the metal scrappers would figure out this source of free metal to scrap, we'd have a new craze.

In Wisconsin, "holding your place" is illegal. The other day I saw a tree on a hillside, With every branch from the ground to 20 feet up hacked off. And I'm talking about some 6 inch branches. Too bad it was 200 yards from a nice buck bed I found! some clowns don't have a clue!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
woodswalker
500 Club

Unread postby woodswalker » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:39 am

PA's law is similar, except is is more liberal. Portable tree stands may be placed on state land 2 weeks prior to deer season and removed no latter than two weeks after the season. If it were up to me, they would not be allowed up, they would have to be removed daily. How many people are not getting to hunt that spot because they think the owner may show up even though the owner has no right to claim the area where the stand is placed. Most people do not want the confrontation if they were to sit near the tree stand if the owner appears. Consequently the stands are effectively preventing people from hunting the areas. It is also not legal to remove branches from trees or cut shooting lanes on state land.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:34 am

I know a public area where someone set up a brand new double ladder stand. The kind that sits two people. Its been sitting there since 2012. I think it was used for one gun season and now the brush and trees are beginning to swallow it out of existence. No one has came back to take it down or trim the brush and limbs around it for the last 4 years. Makes me wonder why people do that. A complete waste. I been thinking about maybe taking it down and selling it if its still in good shape. Someone once told me, 'Public land, Public stand'. But I keep my hands off them.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
woodswalker
500 Club

Unread postby woodswalker » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:59 am

I would contact the CO, tell him how long it has been there and is unused and maybe he will let you have it if it is still fit to use.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:35 am

I would tie about 25 orange ribbons to it. That would leave a message. Your not damaging the stand but someone will get the hint that they know someone else was there.
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:29 pm

Haha, tie a bunch of orange ribbons to the stand. Funny. Maybe rehang the stand upside down.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:40 pm

I don't mind finding that stuff, lets me know to probably not hunt that area. Much harder to pattern a beast hunter. 8-)
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:43 pm

headgear wrote:I don't mind finding that stuff, lets me know to probably not hunt that area. Much harder to pattern a beast hunter. 8-)

I definitely hear that, but I almost had myself believing I had found an awesome overlooked spot and then ta da! New stand hung. Just irritating.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”