Sick and tired

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Sick and tired

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:06 am

I agree with Country...It is illegal to leave a tree stand overnight in Wisconsin! If I find one I "deal with it".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:17 am

I see stands all over, but usually not the location I hunt but more so on the night time sign. Most stands I find are legal but left up and if it's within the rules I have no issue. The dnr around my neck of the woods don't go take them down, instead they have said if there name isn't on them an it's after the time allotted, they are fair game. I just think of the guy whose up there in age, has a hard time carrying them out and means no harm just wants to get out and enjoy hunting. I set stands for rut and just take my sticks, but I take them down when I scout after season. I've had guys in them during season and just move on and see them in parking lots and just tell them please don't steal them. I always keep LW on my back even if I plan on hunting a stand that's pre set. Matter of fact I have two out now in rut funnels that I know get hot. I hung them midday and haven't been back. They have my name, address etc on them and are locked in. The ones that really burn me are the ones screw ins, or get left for years upon end. But ultimately it doesn't hurt me in any way, yes it maybe illegal but can someone please tell me why it's really that much of an issue? I don't think people do it to be malicious, they do it out of ease and to stay quiet setting up. I know it isn't right, but it really changed my mind once I saw a few old timers over the years coming out and it's keeping them hunting. I know it's not a popular view on here or maybe anywhere but it could be far worse to me.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:18 am

This is one thing I am trying to get use to in Iowa as it's legal there. Finding a bunch of stands but they all seem to be right on the edge of cropfields and easy to access tops of ridges......places I generally avoid setting up.

Around home where it's illegal I get the most upset when I bust my but to haul all my stuff out to a remote spot and then find a stand already up obviously there for quite some time. Not fair to guys that follow the rules so yeah I get upset and make sure it's turned in without ever feeling bad about it. People are always looking for shortcuts and don't want to put in the work.

woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:11 am

Country, I was thinking about the atvs where they are not allowed generating a cell phone call more than the tree stands, the tree stands can wait until you get home, then just report them and give the gps coordinates to the WCO. I will tell you this for a fact, WCOs would rather be called for something then not to be called, then it is up to them if something else takes priorty.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:21 am

whitetailassasin wrote:I see stands all over, but usually not the location I hunt but more so on the night time sign. Most stands I find are legal but left up and if it's within the rules I have no issue. The dnr around my neck of the woods don't go take them down, instead they have said if there name isn't on them an it's after the time allotted, they are fair game. I just think of the guy whose up there in age, has a hard time carrying them out and means no harm just wants to get out and enjoy hunting. I set stands for rut and just take my sticks, but I take them down when I scout after season. I've had guys in them during season and just move on and see them in parking lots and just tell them please don't steal them. I always keep LW on my back even if I plan on hunting a stand that's pre set. Matter of fact I have two out now in rut funnels that I know get hot. I hung them midday and haven't been back. They have my name, address etc on them and are locked in. The ones that really burn me are the ones screw ins, or get left for years upon end. But ultimately it doesn't hurt me in any way, yes it maybe illegal but can someone please tell me why it's really that much of an issue? I don't think people do it to be malicious, they do it out of ease and to stay quiet setting up. I know it isn't right, but it really changed my mind once I saw a few old timers over the years coming out and it's keeping them hunting. I know it's not a popular view on here or maybe anywhere but it could be far worse to me.

This is sort of my feeling on it too. It annoys me, but also lets me know where others are hunting. Not that I'm "letting" them claim the spot, but easier just to move on. I was at what looked like a great spot cyber scouting last weekend. get in and plenty of doe sign, but no real buck sign to speak of. Tough access from public access points. Started down pouring so I got down for a quick scout and found a stand up, assuming access from one of a few houses south of the spot. Helped me know someone is in ther and it's probably getting hunted hard and dumb. Not worth the headache of the trip in in this case.
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:49 am

Kraft, it is an issue because when screws or nails are nailed into trees the cambium layer is breached which allows bacteria and fungus to enter the tree. The trees on public land are harvested to provide money for the game agencies and not only do nails and screws provide an opportunity for diseases to kill or damage the trees but when logs are run through the saw mill and nails or screws that have rusted off on the outside and hidden hit the blade, not only does it cause thousands of dollars to the blades but they can fly apart and kill mill workers. Lumber companies think twice about bidding on a timber sale once something like that happens because of trees from state land. Without that land being managed for game lots of people would have no place to hunt.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:56 am

I am always really vocal about this because I believe in everyone playing on the same playing field. Public land is already very limited in many areas and there is a lot of competition so if everyone just looked the other way how long before it gets so out of control that all of your honey holes are taken over by illegal stands? I believe if it wasn't for those of us that choose to deal with it that it would a much bigger problem than what is perceived. I'm gonna get up on my soapbox and say it is our duty as sportsman to police our own ranks. The wardens cannot be everywhere and appreciate us working with them. Every one I have dealt with was very professional. On more than one occasion stands I have reported have led to much worst violations. If your local warden gets annoyed by working these types of complaints perhaps he needs to be reported to his superiors. They are after all working for us and paid by our taxes

Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:06 am

woodswalker wrote:Kraft, it is an issue because when screws or nails are nailed into trees the cambium layer is breached which allows bacteria and fungus to enter the tree. The trees on public land are harvested to provide money for the game agencies and not only do nails and screws provide an opportunity for diseases to kill or damage the trees but when logs are run through the saw mill and nails or screws that have rusted off on the outside and hidden hit the blade, not only does it cause thousands of dollars to the blades but they can fly apart and kill mill workers. Lumber companies think twice about bidding on a timber sale once something like that happens because of trees from state land. Without that land being managed for game lots of people would have no place to hunt.

Agreed on this, I'm talking only about strap-ons, and honestly I fall much more on the report side than not. The majority of the stands I find, in or around the places I'm hunting look to have been abandoned long ago anyways.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:14 am

mihunter101 wrote:Could be worse. Michigan actually allows stands to be placed beginning Sept 1 (season opens 10/1), and they don't have to be removed until Mar 1st. :angry-screaming:

It is the same here in the two states I hunt. I wish that they would go to a carry in and out policy instead but that is tough on us older folks.

E72 wrote:Yep and the next worse thing is anyone that runs an ATV on walk only public land . That burns me to no end .

Same here. It really frosts me to see lazy able bodied folks doing that. Especially since I have had 7 back operations and I have difficulty getting around but I still get out there some.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:21 am

whitetailassasin wrote:I see stands all over, but usually not the location I hunt but more so on the night time sign. Most stands I find are legal but left up and if it's within the rules I have no issue. The dnr around my neck of the woods don't go take them down, instead they have said if there name isn't on them an it's after the time allotted, they are fair game. I just think of the guy whose up there in age, has a hard time carrying them out and means no harm just wants to get out and enjoy hunting. I set stands for rut and just take my sticks, but I take them down when I scout after season. I've had guys in them during season and just move on and see them in parking lots and just tell them please don't steal them. I always keep LW on my back even if I plan on hunting a stand that's pre set. Matter of fact I have two out now in rut funnels that I know get hot. I hung them midday and haven't been back. They have my name, address etc on them and are locked in. The ones that really burn me are the ones screw ins, or get left for years upon end. But ultimately it doesn't hurt me in any way, yes it maybe illegal but can someone please tell me why it's really that much of an issue? I don't think people do it to be malicious, they do it out of ease and to stay quiet setting up. I know it isn't right, but it really changed my mind once I saw a few old timers over the years coming out and it's keeping them hunting. I know it's not a popular view on here or maybe anywhere but it could be far worse to me.

I agree with some of the points made. I am not against less able bodied individuals leaving a stand up. The part that bothers me is that Wisconsin regulations do not permit it. Some of it IS psychological. Recently I found a spot that seemed "overlooked". I had a great hunt there last week. I went in the other day and now there's two stands nearby....one of which is in the exact tree I wanted to hunt. I guess it's the whole "claiming" aspect that gets me. Someone could have very well hunted that spot before I was there, but at least I was able to sit there thinking I might have success since nobody had been in there to my knowledge. I really try hard to follow the rules and it just bothers me when people don't think the rules apply to them. If an old guy is that unable to hang and hunt in the same day, should he be hunting from a tree stand in the first place? I know guys that wouldn't dream of hanging a stand and taking it down 3 hours later. It's just not for them. They don't push the issue by leaving it up half the season. Again...it's the rules in Wisconsin. If the rules said it was Ok, I'd probably do it myself.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:49 pm

Rich M wrote:How often is there a worthy reason to call a game warden? To report a stand in the woods sounds a lot like crying wolf...and possibly keeping them from doing something more better with their time. I would rather that they arrest the guys who shoot over their limit, poach, etc.

Many places allow folks to put a stand up and leave it for a duration of a quota hunt, or a season. Nothing wrong with that.

It is illegal here in WI. Just because you or others don't agree with a law, it doesn't apply to them?
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:38 pm

I don't buy into the claiming spot thing. I don't care if there is a dozen stands already there. If it's public land and I arrived first that day I'm gonna hunt wherever I want, its public.

The guys placing these illegal stands are taking risks. They could get a ticket, they could get their stand stolen or someone could sabotage there stand. I think Dan not to long ago was climbing up someone's illegal stand and somebody booby trapped it.

I know of one illegal stand that has the guys name tag on it. A lot of the stands I find look abandoned so I'm not gonna abandon those areas just because there's a stand there.

For the areas I hunt around here, if I report a dozen illegal stands to the local warden, I'm betting most of them will still be there a year later.

Areas with tons of public land around I just assume the wardens aren't gonna bother doing anything about it but I might be wrong.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:57 pm

I have reported quite a few in WI. Easy enough to mark it on the GPS and send the location in an email to the DNR. One time an illegal stand cost me a shot at a nice buck because it was in the tree I wanted to set up in and I had to set up 15 or so yards back. That one really annoyed me. I understand peoples reasons for reporting or not reporting and don't think anyone needs to be criticized for their choice. Its all a matter of differing perspectives on this topic.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:23 pm

Been there, done that. Really, on a couple of the pieces I go, there has been some stands for a number of years. I called them in, but they never disappeared. They where all near the property boarder, maybe 50-100 yds. I believe that the private guy decided to place them to try to discourage someone from hunting the hot spots, I have never found any sign shoeing that they have actually been hunted out of. I have pulled a couple of ladder stands down, there again, I believe they where put to discourage others from the area. Good sign near the stand sights. I hate it as well. What can you Do? Just keep hunting.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:43 pm

I've seen these around as well, and my view is you can typically tell the stands that are getting used and the ones that aren't. I have no problem sitting near an inactive stand if it's in the right spot, as there are stands that have been out there for 10+ years.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”