October 9, 2014 & October 8, 2016 - evening movement - why?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetail_addict

Re: October 9, 2014 & October 8, 2016 - evening movement - w

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:21 am

I haven't followed the moon positioning enough to say that has any influence but in your particular case this past weekend it obviously lines up.

I'd say for sure though that 10-15 degree drop in high temperatures over the course of the weekend in your area had something to do with what you seen. I was aware of the overhead moon times here this weekend too in Wisconsin but can't honestly say it I noticed any influence from the moon on Saturday or Sunday. On Friday afternoon and evening, however, I noticed major movement. Friday afternoon was the front end of a 20 degree drop in temperature here and I couldn't get to the woods fast enough. Just driving around after work I was seeing several deer in almost every field I drove by from 3:00 pm and onward. That night walking in I spooked deer that were already out feeding in beans and still managed to have a 1.5 year old get up from right in front of me before dark and shooter 10 sneak in behind me on the corner of the bean field as well as does and fawns.

Long story short... I witnessed great movement on the front end of the cold front and not much more after that including the moon times on the days that followed.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:58 am

WA Friday was probably the best moon for movement, about an hour before last light. Thrusday was also good but closer to two hours before last light. Cold fronts are always good, however combined with the moon I think you can have a perfect storm. The saturday moon was closer to last light, sometimes I still see good movement then but sometimes I see nothing at all. For the buck in this thread I am thinking cooler weather with the moon helping out a little.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:13 am

The moon phase was good. The barometric pressure was high & rising. And a cold front moved thru here in Wisconsin.

I had great deer movement on firday, and I knew it would be with all 3 of those conditions on the same night. Too bad no shooters showed!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:41 pm

headgear wrote:WA Friday was probably the best moon for movement, about an hour before last light. Thrusday was also good but closer to two hours before last light. Cold fronts are always good, however combined with the moon I think you can have a perfect storm. The saturday moon was closer to last light, sometimes I still see good movement then but sometimes I see nothing at all. For the buck in this thread I am thinking cooler weather with the moon helping out a little.

I can concur with this on Friday October 7th, the guy I was hunting with saw 16 deer, I saw 9 deer. All moving around 5:45-6 PM. I had 3 bucks walk in and one make a rub right under my stand. For a good 45 minutes the woods came alive with movement. We also bumped some deer walking in around 2:30 PM. Red squirrels were very active as well which for the spot we were in is actually rare from my experience.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:04 pm

on Friday October 7th, the guy I was hunting with saw 16 deer, I saw 9 deer. All moving around 5:45-6 PM.

According to my chart moon phase o/h was at 5:52 pm.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”