Aaron M.W. / Video...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

OTCHunter

Re: Aaron M.W. / Video...

Unread postby OTCHunter » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:23 am

Awesome hunt Aaron. Definitely some of the most entertaining videos I've ever seen! Good luck hope you knock one of those big boys down soon!

flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:45 am

Keep up the good work Aaron! I have really been enjoying the public land episodes a LOT. You'll get a crack at one of those bucks soon!
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:47 am

Way to go after them on the ground Aaron. Looked like tight quarters in that mess for shooting . I agree ,they should start moving to scrapes out of that field earlier at some point . Cold front rolling through today or tomorrow may get em going.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:55 am

Love the ground hunt with the decoy Aaron what a bold move, I'm rooting for ya.
Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing..

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:43 pm

Its fun to watch. You definitely are more patient than me :D I have always found I can get away with a LOT more noise than I ever realized. You go up a tree, make a clink. Cursing yourself, thinking the hunt is over...only to have buck get up out of his bed and show up in front of you before your barely set up.

I am pretty aggressive and don't really wait around. Another week those boys may move on. Especially when you have other bucks to chase. Fun to watch how it all unfolds for you guys. Those are some studs for sure.

On another note, I see Bill scored on a beauty. Old Lefty hit the dirt. What a stud!
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:57 pm

Aaron, have you found that the bucks only bed there on a specific wind? Or is this non specific wind bedding? I'm wondering because when the wind is blowing from the willow to the woods, wouldn't it allow you to sneak alongside that transition from high grass to those trees in the background (hardwoods)? It looks like those bucks head that way towards dark and it looks like you could get super close from that way as well. I don't know all the details so I'm just giving you what was going through my head when I saw the last two videos.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:10 pm

whitetailassasin wrote:Aaron, have you found that the bucks only bed there on a specific wind? Or is this non specific wind bedding? I'm wondering because when the wind is blowing from the willow to the woods, wouldn't it allow you to sneak alongside that transition from high grass to those trees in the background (hardwoods)? It looks like those bucks head that way towards dark and it looks like you could get super close from that way as well. I don't know all the details so I'm just giving you what was going through my head when I saw the last two videos.

Funny that was EXACTLY my thought WTA when I saw that. But I assumed they probably had thought all of that. Hunting just off wind enough, cutting hairs with a northerly or southerly flair, hoping bucks don't cut the wind.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:11 pm

...and I will add, its pretty easy to armchair quarterback not being there myself. :D
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:15 pm

I'm not trying to be a wise acre here, just thinking aloud and figured I'd share. Sometimes another perspective can shed light on the situation. Non offense meant Aaron.

kurt

Unread postby kurt » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:21 pm

awesome hunts Aaron and thanks for sharing all of them. I think its pretty awesome success given bed hunting is relatively a new tactic for you. I can't wait to see more and its only a matter of time one of these hunts has a blood trail in it
Aaron1987
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aaron.warbritton.3

Unread postby Aaron1987 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:43 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:Its fun to watch. You definitely are more patient than me :D I have always found I can get away with a LOT more noise than I ever realized. You go up a tree, make a clink. Cursing yourself, thinking the hunt is over...only to have buck get up out of his bed and show up in front of you before your barely set up.

I am pretty aggressive and don't really wait around. Another week those boys may move on. Especially when you have other bucks to chase. Fun to watch how it all unfolds for you guys. Those are some studs for sure.

On another note, I see Bill scored on a beauty. Old Lefty hit the dirt. What a stud!

Yes Maine I'm learning that you can get away with alot. At least in this situation. We actually had a doe get up out of her bed 20 yards from us after I set the decoy up.

I could be wrong but this particular bedding area looks like one that gets used all year long. Have you seen that before?

Two yyears ago I jumped a giant velvet buck out of there in late June. We've found dead mature bucks in there and sheds as well. I have other spots that I want to learn about like this one.

Aaron1987
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aaron.warbritton.3

Unread postby Aaron1987 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:49 pm

whitetailassasin wrote:Aaron, have you found that the bucks only bed there on a specific wind? Or is this non specific wind bedding? I'm wondering because when the wind is blowing from the willow to the woods, wouldn't it allow you to sneak alongside that transition from high grass to those trees in the background (hardwoods)? It looks like those bucks head that way towards dark and it looks like you could get super close from that way as well. I don't know all the details so I'm just giving you what was going through my head when I saw the last two videos.

I've sat 3 times there on a NW wind and 2 times on south wwind. the bucks are bedded off the willow every time with a NW and there seem to be more bucks overall with the NW. Both times with a south there has still been bucks there but in different areas of the field.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:02 pm

I could be wrong but this particular bedding area looks like one that gets used all year long. Have you seen that before?

Primary bedding areas get used all year...
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11088&hilit=PRIMARY
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:32 pm

AaronMW wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:Its fun to watch. You definitely are more patient than me :D I have always found I can get away with a LOT more noise than I ever realized. You go up a tree, make a clink. Cursing yourself, thinking the hunt is over...only to have buck get up out of his bed and show up in front of you before your barely set up.

Yes Maine I'm learning that you can get away with alot. At least in this situation. We actually had a doe get up out of her bed 20 yards from us after I set the decoy up.

Two yyears ago I jumped a giant velvet buck out of there in late June. We've found dead mature bucks in there and sheds as well. I have other spots that I want to learn about like this one.

I have seen them use most of the year. One bed us used up until Sept october. Bucks shift out for pre rut and rut. Once January rolls around, bucks cone back.

Maine is a bit different when it comes to bedding. Much harder to pin down primary buck beds like you have. Rarely ever see bucks bed same spit days in a row. Part of it is the cover...Hard to observe that movement. Bucks here rotate through beds quite a bit.

When hunting ks...see a lot more bedding consistency than here. Less cover. More ooen.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:02 am

AaronMW wrote:

I've sat 3 times there on a NW wind and 2 times on south wwind. the bucks are bedded off the willow every time with a NW and there seem to be more bucks overall with the NW. Both times with a south there has still been bucks there but in different areas of the field.

Again maybe another obvious but are those other areas of the field accessible? I have a good sized primary bedding area I hunt and the buck would be bedded slightly different on a certain wind. I found I was having a hard time closing the distance on this one bedding section. I was afraid with no real cover and the satellite bedding, I'd get busted. So on that wind,I knew the buck I was after, was bedded in a more vulnerable position(chink in the Armour). Your all over these two and I'm sure we are going to see you soon holding one of them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”