Light and variable winds in hill country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Light and variable winds in hill country

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:41 pm

I'm faced with a dilemma the next few days as the winds are supposed to be light and variable from every single direction according to Scoutlook. I'm thinking thermals will really come into play more than ever when deciding where to set up as that is really the only wind advantage I will have since there really will not be a leeward side so to speak.

Where do bucks bed in this case? Wouldn't think they keep relocating constantly all day long every time the wind changes.

I'm learning that the sunny side of the ridges obviously have much stronger thermals than the shady side. With little to no wind would that be the preferred side to set up on since the deer may be using the stronger thermals?

How do you guys handle this situation?

Uncle Lou

Re: Light and variable winds in hill country

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:27 pm

milk weed is all I got.

I had a weird wind along a little swamp last night. Had a SSE prevailing wind and hunted south edge of a west to east oval swamp, and the milk weed was blowing west to east until sundown that is why I stopped there. Thought I had a cross wind. At last light I get snorted from directly north, maybe slightly NW. I dont know if I got busted from slapping mosquitos or winded. Wish I knew, because I thought I found a neat little wind advantage.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:31 pm

I had the same thing last weekend. I bumped a shooter in a spot that made no sense. Thinking on it after with no real pressure yet it does. He was on a very steep hillside amongst a cluster of producing oaks. The thermals were the only consistent thing he had going for him as the wind would only gust every 15-30 min. He also had vision as he could see below and was protected from behind with thick cover.

Now with that experience on days like you are about to have I'll look for the steepest hill side I can find and set up just off it getting in between areas I think a buck would go. Being just off the steep side you should also experience the consistency of the thermals.

Good luck Dewey!!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:20 am

Agreed I would be real high along steeper terrain, or real low. In the late afternoon low works for me either next to water or the lowest spot I can find surrounded by steep terrain. Bowls work really well for this. I am referring to that very end of day thermal drain. Also in the evenings think about going in really late, in stand for the last 30 minutes to an hour. This works when I know exactly where I want to be. Avoids spraying scent over the area all afternoon.

If you are talking about higher elevation, I've had good luck in pronounced saddles in these conditions, sitting right in the saddle. The window is obviously short.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:59 am

Variable winds are tough and I think deer love them. IMO, if strong thermals can keep your scent from sinking to nose level of the deer that maybe your only chance.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
warhog23
Facebook: corey policaro

Unread postby warhog23 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:33 am

My wind was highly affected by the thermals the past couple days but in which case it actually helped me hunt spots that i couldnt bc the prevailing wind would slightly blow into spots i wouldnt want my wind to go but the lightness of the wind didnt effect very much and in the evening i could slip up a tree when the thermals were pushing down and i got away with murder as my target buck came through but he came in too late and had no shooting light

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”