Ultimate enemy of Hunting success, time

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Re: Ultimate enemy of Hunting success, time

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:30 pm

I can completely relate with your lack of time. This is going to be the toughest season I have had in many years cause of my wife's new job and the hours she works along with my little one is involved in tons of activities throughout the week. I could go on and on but excuses only sound good to us telling them. I have basically no Intel as my camera runs this year were pretty sad. Deer were not in the typical areas for different reason. The opening of crossbows up now has tons more hitting the woods. After all that though the bucks are still out there. Even with the lack of time I still have to hunt hard and hunt smart. This time of the year the bucks aren't moving terribly far in daylight. If I have spots I think I can get in close to bedding then I'm on it scouting along the way. I even will go out of my way to loop by a known bedding area as I'm planning to go to a different spot. Well did this last week and ran into a buck that was on his feet 70 plus yards from his bed. Almost managed to get off and arrow but didn't work out. Take full advantage of every hunt in the woods. It is more work to go out of your way with extra gear but my goal is success and if I'm gonna do this then I'm gonna put forth the effort to do whatever it takes. I believe that we all do experience some difficulties getting away all the time to hunt. Just part of it. Use past knowledge to you favor. Keep up with or even a journal of what you see and when you see it. relatibg back to privious season can be a big help. My better spots I tend to save for the late October when bucks are more likely to get up and move a little farther in daylight. Hunting is supposed to be enjoyable and we have to enjoy each hunt we go on but I'm out there to kill a big buck and it takes the extra effort to get it done with limited time. Place cameras as you go in and grab them on the way out or place some in areas for future Intel and let them set. Figure out the best way to maximize each hunt. Good luck to you!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Ack

Unread postby Ack » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:43 pm

I can also relate, as we are 10 days into season and I haven't even been able to get out yet. Anymore I just get out when I can and don't get real worked up about it. I do take a week and a half off work at the end of October every year, so I bank on that a lot. As my son gets older the time will free up some....just a few more years of this busy after school schedule.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:19 am

This topic rings true to me. Its a fight I have been having with myself, and feel like loosing a little every year.

The main thing I do is re-distribute my time. I spend a lot of time in the woods - the vast majority of it outside of season scouting. 2 or 3 or 4 hours every week. On a very good week a full half day! That's it, but every single week. My goal is about 10 quality bow hunts every year which is a tiny amount. I used to do 50+. Close to 200 hours of preparation over the other 44 weeks sets up any success I might get.

I'm not proud of admitting this, when I killed a buck this weekend on my second sit of the year - my first emotion was relief. I only say that because I suspect others have felt the same thing sometimes. Yes it bothers me.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:57 am

JoeRE wrote:I'm not proud of admitting this, when I killed a buck this weekend on my second sit of the year - my first emotion was relief. I only say that because I suspect others have felt the same thing sometimes. Yes it bothers me.

Yep I've been there before, trying to let go of those feelings, focusing more on living in the moment and enjoying my time in the woods weather I shoot one, see one, or see absolutely nothing.
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:38 am

We all deal with this problem and it sounds to me like the OP has it way worse than I do. Its very hard for me to get excited to do anything where I don't feel like I can give 100% and bowhunting is one of those things. This is the first year in 20+ that it just doesn't matter to me. I did all my spring scouting, I have the trees prepped and ready and I have been going, but that drive and excitement has gotten lost and its kinda sad. It just gets to a point and I reached that point.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:42 am

I pretty much gave up scouting outside of season a few years ago... It has not really impacted my success I don't believe. If I could scout a lot I feel I could target some 'better' racked bucks. But the amount of time and money it would take just to shoot something that scores 10 more inches of antler or whatever, who cares. I set my standards by age and it is a variable standard depending on area, weapon etc...

Not being able to scout just adds another layer to the challenge and the adventure imo.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:01 am

At some point, you have to put a bunch of time into this to be successful. Once you have years of learning behind you, you can coast a bit more. Once you have known areas figured out, takes less time.

I will admit, I spend a lot of time because I have a job and family that allows it. For me, the reward is, every stand sit is a fun one. Here in Maine, it takes a lot of time each season to get it done on a regular basis. Its just the nature of the beast. BUT the potential of all the work, every stand sit is enjoyable. Many guys here right now are down in the dumps. No deer. Not seeing deer. BUT they have not put the time in preseason. So the result in this state? Deerless after deerless sits.

With less time, sometimes, you have to drop your standards a bit OR be truly ok with going home empty handed.
9pt
500 Club

Unread postby 9pt » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:07 am

Great question that many here I'm sure can relate to. I sure can.

Kraftd wrote:First, hunting is fun, it's supposed to be anyways, always try to keep that tucked away somewhere.

Priorities get talked about a lot on here. There are a bunch of guys on here who probably have the same kind of time constraints as others, but still prioritize a way to get in the necessary work. In some cases that has been the admission of prioritizing hunting over family or work, in other cases it's sacrificing sleep, or reassessing and getting kids involved with their passion to allow for more time. I'm not one of those guys. For me that has meant doing my best to be reasonable about my expectations.

I've been on the beast for around three years, and my only goals have been to continue to learn, and build an inventory of public land spots gradually over time. This has meant a lot of in season scouting and not worrying about sits as long as I feel it is productive for the future. I wasn't in a position to prioritize things and get out in front of it in one season. I suspect even the best hunters on here it is the same thing.

I also never use time as an excuse, because to me that creates negative thoughts and feelings and kills the fun part and gets me down the path of feeling sorry for myself and the whole list of well if I scouted more, if I had better public closer, if I ....you get the idea. I have set my own priorities. Recreationally, bowhunting for whitetails is number one, but still well behind my two daughters, my wife, and work. It isn't time's fault, I made those choices. For me that helps me stay realistic that my results may vary from others. It's not an excuse, but it is a reality, and I'm ok with that.

For me, as long as I can step back and see progress and feel like I'm learning, I have been successful. Gauge it on that, not inches or kills, and for me anyways, its much easier to reconcile. The learning process also quickly makes the hunting much more efficient too. I have hunted a piece of private in IL for the past 7 seasons. The first 5 seasons I killed three bucks in dozens of sites. Now one was a 3.5 and one was 4.5 plus, and I saw several other mature deer, but not very efficient hunting. Since the beast I've killed four bucks (Two 4.5+, one 3.5 and on 1.5) and seen several other mature deer in two years in a total of 7 sits on the property, because I learned, applied and figured out when my best kill opportunities are and have capitalized. This has let me use my other hunting time to scout public in WI and hunt there, and feel like I'm really putting pieces together there.

I work hard at most things I do, but probably don't have the same intense personality some others on here have that drive them to be going 100 mph 24/7. Again, that's on me, so if I don't take full advantage of what time I do have, I'm ok with that and don't blame others and understand I function better with a little down time occasionally. Everyone has to find their balance, and then accept it or change it.

Great response. Very well thought out. Thank you.

Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:33 am

headgear wrote:
JoeRE wrote:I'm not proud of admitting this, when I killed a buck this weekend on my second sit of the year - my first emotion was relief. I only say that because I suspect others have felt the same thing sometimes. Yes it bothers me.

Yep I've been there before, trying to let go of those feelings, focusing more on living in the moment and enjoying my time in the woods weather I shoot one, see one, or see absolutely nothing.

I can absolutely relate to this. Was hoping to have some meat in the freezer already and have at least seen something with antlers. Almost getting a little panicked having not accomplished either. Just gotta step back and breathe. Best part of the season is coming up.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:47 am

Yes tons of guys in the same boat. I do believe any successful big buck hunter at one point in his life spent a ton of time hunting. For me it was in my younger years. Hunting 5-6 days a week, scouting 4-5 days a week all year long. That time devotion lays the ground work for letting up a bit as you get older as Maine eluded to. For those that have done that they learn big buck behavior and areas intimately and you become much more efficient. You can also break down new ground rather quickly because you have so much experience to relate back to. For those that didn't put in that time you can only do the best you can do. Don't put too much pressure on yourself and learn what you can. You will get better at it. I'm extremely limited in time but I can hunt locally in the evenings before the time change. No vacation time for the rut so I just do what I can. I hunt weekends with a sick day here and there. I won't choose hunting over a kids game or anything special with them so until they are older I'm happy with hunting half time. I try to put in my hours outside of the season so I don't have to put as many in during the season.

Then hunt aggressive sits when the conditions are right if you are flexible... and make the shot count.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:09 am

One thing you learn as you hunt longer. Breathe. Relax. It will happen if and when it happens. And if it does not? Oh well. Life goes on. If people think you stink as a hunter? Oh well right? Guys all around me right now are dropping like flies. Cameras are coming up dry. Excitement is gone. 4ptrs are looking better. I think they are in the "lull". The more work you put in, the less lull you will experience. I don't want to be done until as far into the season as possible. I love to hunt. Over time its not about the killing anymore. Killing a good buck is always the goal...but the quality of the hunt is not determined by it.

The hard part is ...the relaxed part comes with time and maturing as a deer hunter. Being stressed out the whole season because you have not killed anything yet ...takes all the fun out of the season. The relaxed part also comes with having killed big bucks I get that. Sometimes I wish I could have the same enjoyment that I have now 5-10 years ago. You kinda know its a long season and if history repeats itself, sometime in the next 8 weeks, you will get a chance.

Take a look at the bucks killed on the beast so far this season. Lots of good hunters still have tags open. Killing 3.5yr+ bucks before Oct 15 is tough no matter where you live.
STIKnSTRING

Unread postby STIKnSTRING » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:41 am

I have 2 young kids and it's gotten hard to get out. I get 2 weekend hunts during the rut and maybe 1 evening hunt on weekends. I love to golf, but made a rule to myself when my son was born that the day bowseason starts the clubs get put away for the year. It has helped me get a little extra hunting time.

Family - Work - Everything else. Good luck this season

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:28 am

jjm335 wrote:Guys, what great responses, thank you. Very encouraging to be honest.

I would say my goals have really changed over the years, years ago my goal was anything over 115 but now since my time is limited I'll take a 2.5 year old. Difficult part for me is I lost all of my private land over the years and now can only hunt public is a heavy pressure area (Southeastern PA). Size isn't great, there are > 130s around but very hard to get and usually bed on private.

seazofcheeze wrote:Scouting is more important than hunting. Scouting season is three times as long in most cases. I'd say make it a point to really pound the ground a few days in the spring once snow melts (if you get snow). I average 2-4 setups per 5 miles of scouting and that is personally my limit for a day. Any more than 5 miles and I get sloppy. Even 3 solid days of scouting should yield you 6-12 solid spots for next year.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

So those spots, 2-4 setups per 5 miles, are they fully trimmed? Do you go back to them at all?

It's illegal to cut anything on public land in Michigan, so I find a tree that will work.

On private land, I will trim in August if I have time, and if not, I will do some VERY LIGHT trimming the day of my first sit for the year.

Also, I can't stress enough how important a GPS, and a good notebook/log is to success in future years.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:30 am

mainebowhunter wrote:One thing you learn as you hunt longer. Breathe. Relax. It will happen if and when it happens. And if it does not? Oh well. Life goes on. If people think you stink as a hunter? Oh well right? Guys all around me right now are dropping like flies. Cameras are coming up dry. Excitement is gone. 4ptrs are looking better. I think they are in the "lull". The more work you put in, the less lull you will experience. I don't want to be done until as far into the season as possible. I love to hunt. Over time its not about the killing anymore. Killing a good buck is always the goal...but the quality of the hunt is not determined by it.

The hard part is ...the relaxed part comes with time and maturing as a deer hunter. Being stressed out the whole season because you have not killed anything yet ...takes all the fun out of the season. The relaxed part also comes with having killed big bucks I get that. Sometimes I wish I could have the same enjoyment that I have now 5-10 years ago. You kinda know its a long season and if history repeats itself, sometime in the next 8 weeks, you will get a chance.

Take a look at the bucks killed on the beast so far this season. Lots of good hunters still have tags open. Killing 3.5yr+ bucks before Oct 15 is tough no matter where you live.

Agree

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”